INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: theater view navigation suggestion for touchscreens  (Read 1659 times)

twebb72

• Junior Woodchuck
theater view navigation suggestion for touchscreens
« on: January 04, 2009, 03:18:26 pm »

I'm having some real problems with the theater view with my touchscreen.
1.) Search function no longer available from the audio selection screen. Makes it really difficult to add songs to a playlist thats large. (was in version 12)
2.) Scrolling. no improvement from v12 to v13.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8mKdz-icnc&feature=related
Here is a scrolling example, notice when he quickly gestures up, the page follows with inertia (it continues to scroll and decelerate after mouse release).
Of course, people using a mouse in theater view would need to specify the standard scroll, as this doesn't apply to mouse scrolling (eg. the current interface).
Also, it would be great to implement a vertical alphabet as well. This would make it tremendously easier to use the interface on a a touchscreen.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: theater view navigation suggestion for touchscreens
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 08:54:07 pm »

2.) Scrolling. no improvement from v12 to v13.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8mKdz-icnc&feature=related
Here is a scrolling example, notice when he quickly gestures up, the page follows with inertia (it continues to scroll and decelerate after mouse release).

Do you prefer how the view 3D Albums (under Audio in the tree) scrolls on the touch-screen?  It's designed to be flicked.

Also, it would be great to implement a vertical alphabet as well. This would make it tremendously easier to use the interface on a a touchscreen.

That's a good idea.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 05:52:06 am »

Do you prefer how the view 3D Albums (under Audio in the tree) scrolls on the touch-screen?  It's designed to be flicked.

That would be just perfect! Would be nice to use with a normal mouse as well. I'd even consider a small touch screen to play music from, so I don't have to turn on my PJ all the time.

BTW. Is there any hope of seeing the 3D Albums view under Theater view soon? With the new roller interface it would fit rather good I belive.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 06:15:34 am »

Have to admit I've never used it like that before but I like it!

Would be great on my next HTPC, which will be built with touch screen in mind...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 11:51:11 am »

We're playing around with mouse flicks in Theater View.

One tricky issue is that currently lists auto-scroll when the mouse pointer nears the edge.  This means a flick often ends up with the mouse at the screen edge, so starts scrolling more.

It seems like we may need to pick either auto-scroll or flicking.  Any advice?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 12:30:07 pm »

I was the one who suggested the auto scroll function a while back, so I don't want to part with it that easily :) But I do see many advantages with the mouse flick scrolling though.

The auto scrolling have been somewhat a problem for touch screen users for a while, but again, the mouse flick scrolling might also prove troublesome in some cases like gyro sensitive devices. Some devices is hard to move at the same time as clicking. So my suggestion would be to enable the mouse flicking as default, but have an option to switch between the two scrolling methods under Theater View Options.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Efjay

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 01:09:16 pm »

We're playing around with mouse flicks in Theater View.

One tricky issue is that currently lists auto-scroll when the mouse pointer nears the edge.  This means a flick often ends up with the mouse at the screen edge, so starts scrolling more.

It seems like we may need to pick either auto-scroll or flicking.  Any advice?

I would prefer a touch-screen that does not require any use of a mouse at all. An alphabet and a page up/page down would do the job nicely.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 03:43:58 pm »

I think a horizontal alphabet (like in standard view) could be useful for both Touch screens and IR remotes alike but perhaps with the choice to view it or not via the options menu.

PageUp / PageDown buttons probably have no use to someone using an IR (we have buttons that do this), so again, i think these should be available in the options section but not permanent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up