INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 13.0.101 bug: rule type named 'Filename (path)' operates on folderpath  (Read 1574 times)

chrisjj

• Citizen of the Universe

Smart list rule type 'Filename (path)' actually operates on the folderpath. I'd guess the error is simply in the naming of the rule type.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: 13.0.101 bug: rule type named 'Filename (path)' operates on folderpath
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 08:46:34 pm »

I'm not sure I understand.  What's the difference between the path of a filename and the folderpath?

In Media Center the terminology works like:
Filename: C:\Folder\1.mp3
Filename (path): C:\Folder\
Filaname (name): 1.mp3

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

chrisjj

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 08:58:03 pm »

> What's the difference between the path of a filename and the folderpath?

One filename.

> Filename (path): C:\Folder\

That's not any sort of filename or file identification. It is a folder identification, known in the Windows world as a folderpath:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa159765(office.10).aspx
http://malektips.com/xpwex0011.html

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 11:47:47 pm »

The term "folderpath" is new to me, though i can imagine what it's supposed to mean. In my 20+ years of working with computers (which includes 10+ years of pro work in various fields of IT), i've never heard anyone say "folderpath", or read that term anywhere.

The MSDN link is about objects in MS Outlook, not in the file system (there are no "directories" in Oulook, so they had to use a different kind of terminology). And for the second link - well, one could put up a website called "myhottopwindowstips.com", and have an article about the file system, and call the path "garglwarg" and the file names "wohoos", and that wouldn't change the fact that 99% of computer users would use other terms to describe the same things.

chrisjj

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 07:16:10 am »

> that wouldn't change the fact that 99% of computer users would use other terms to describe the same things.

What term(s) other than "folderpath" do you suggest that 99% of users use to mean the path of a folder?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 08:06:18 am »

MC's database stores only the complete filename in the "Filename" library field. The field data is stored in the "field (filename).jmd" disk file.

The "Filename (path)" and the "Filename (name)" fields are calculated fields that are generated from the "Filename" field's data on demand. The names can be considered as abbreviations of "the directory path part of the Filename field" and "the Filename field without the directory path part".

To me the used naming system makes perfect sense when these three fields are put side by side as columns in a details view (as I do in my "tagging" view schemes).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

chrisjj

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 08:46:09 am »

> MC's database stores only the complete filename in the "Filename" library field.

This reports is about an issue with the UI, and nothing to do with the internals.

> To me the used naming system makes perfect sense when these three fields
> are put side by side as columns in a details view

Unfortunately that context is lost in the case that is the subject of this report.
Pages: [1]   Go Up