INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Remote Control" Library Mode for MC13?  (Read 3107 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
"Remote Control" Library Mode for MC13?
« on: January 13, 2009, 12:35:21 pm »

I have an idea I've been mulling over for the past few days.  It would solve a number of problems for me, and would actually provide some pretty interesting and exciting possibilities for using MC.

My idea is this:

Have a "remote control" system that connects to another instance of MC13 running on the network and loads its library, similar to the current Library Client/Server system, however have all playback stay on the "server" machine.  In other words, I'd be able to browse the server's library on a laptop/netbook as though it were the local library (using Theater View if I want, or Standard View, or whatever), but when I double click on a file, change zones, create a playlist, and/or whatever else, it would actually play the files on the remote machine, rather than locally.

I'm thinking this could be implemented under the existing File --> Library system.  Just provide a way to enable "remote control mode" for remote servers (or something like that).

This would enable all kinds of coolness.  In particular, I'm thinking about this...

1.  I have an ASUS EeePC 1000H.  I could install MC on it and use it as a super-duper wireless remote control for my HTPC.  When I'm outside, in another room, sitting at the kitchen table, or whatever, I'd still be able to have full control over my MC system even when I can't physically see the TV monitor (and see where my "mouse clicks" are taking me).  This would work seamlessly for anyone who has a HTPC or home media server and a laptop of any kind.

2.  I have at work a fancy-pants video wall (which is finally being fixed and upgraded next week).  MC handles playback of all of the content on the wall.  The problem is that the server box is in a server closet a long way away from the wall itself.  I have a wireless keyboard and mouse for it, but changing the playback of any zone (each "screen" is a separate zone in MC with a detached display) requires me to bring the MC UI to the foreground which disturbs the overall look and feel of the wall.  It doesn't allow me to change what is playing seamlessly without "seeing" the MC UI on the big display.  This system would allow me to get a little touchscreen Windows XP Netbook (like the recently announced ASUS Eee PC T91 or T101H netbooks), throw MC on it, and control the video wall via Theater View wirelessly using the slick Touchscreen display.  This would be insanely sweet.  Just hand the T91 to one of our tour guides (after setting the appropriate zone and opening Theater View for her), and say "when you want to play back one of your virtual tour videos on the wall, just pick it from this list and it'll play up there."

Obviously not everyone has a fancy pants video wall, but many people probably have projectors and other "big screen" displays.  It'd be awesome to be able to seamlessly control these via a little wireless copy of MC running on a cheap netbook.  It'd be the ultimate remote control!

Then, once the remote control network infrastructure was in place, you could even port the system over to Android (and I'd pray for the iPhone/iPod Touch too).  Even if you didn't want to do this part of it yourselves, it'd make it easier for people to implement systems like the great remote control RiverMote system (he wouldn't need a separate app on the system to connect to).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: "Remote Control" Library Mode for MC13?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 12:37:28 pm »

What do you think?  How hard would it be to implement something like this?

BTW... I realize that you could design your own control scheme using something like Netremote.   However, that limits you to using another interface (and forces you to design your own or download someone else's).  This system would give you the full capabilities and power of MC "in the palm of your hand".

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 03:52:47 pm »

Anyone?  Come on, this would be awesome!

TL,DR:  It'd be cool if you could put MC into a Remote Control mode where you would browse a remote library and playback would happen on the remote copy of MC (rather than locally like the current server system).

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 04:13:56 pm »

You are not alone. Just a few days ago I suggested a solution that would use UPnP for redirecting MC's output to another PC: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=47572.msg342071#msg342071

A couple of older threads:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=47993.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=47138.0
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 04:21:34 pm »

You are not alone. Just a few days ago I suggested a solution that would use UPnP for redirecting MC's output to another PC: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=47572.msg342071#msg342071

The way you described it in that thread might be cool, but wouldn't really work for me.  It is close, but not quite there.  I was talking more about browsing the remote library (ala the current library server) and then playing the files on that same remote PC.  So, you'd be able to use the laptop/netbook/etc as a touchscreen controller for your "big library" on the HTPC.

The way described in that thread wouldn't really help me because the netbook isn't going to have enough storage capacity to store the big library, and not enough wireless bandwidth to stream HD video files across the network for playback on the big screen.  Plus, it can't just be a "zone" because I'd still need the ability to access and switch the zones on the remote playback PC.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 05:15:49 pm »

Naturally the UPnP Server MC could be separate from the Control Point (i.e. the files could be stored locally on the playing PC), but I guess that would seriously limit the interface. It would be able to do only those things that are usually possible with UPnP player devices.

I wonder if it would be possible to create a system that could send all playback related commands (including DSP control etc) from a local MC GUI to a remote MC instance. It could use the library server/client feature as you said, but the file adresses in the locally copied server library would be the original file names and the server would play them locally like I suggested a year ago:

... An easy way to start the development would be to create a modifed version of Library Server. Instead of providing streaming file addresses it would just play the files through a standard local output device whenever it gets a play command from the client. This would naturally be a Windows only solution and possibly usable only with a single client, but it would provide the full standard GUI on the client side. ...

BTW, I just installed UltraVNC on two newly installed XP PCs. I have previously used TightVNC, but that was some time ago. The latest UltraVNC works fine @ 32-bit color/1280x1024. It was too slow without the optional display driver, but the driver fixed that. It is not usable for video playback, but all standard programs without constantly moving display items work pretty well.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 10:10:05 pm »

Exactly what you describe above in your "self quote" is what I'm talking about.  The advent of touchscreen netbooks I think makes this idea even more appealing.

VNC can work but it isn't the same at all, really.  The way described above would be seamless.  The "controlled copy" (where playback would occur) could stay in Display View and you'd never need to even see the Standard View or theater view UI on that machine at all.

Incidentally, I just heard today that Windows 7's version of Wibdows Media Player has a very similar feature...  It has a "play on remote" feature that works with other Windows machines and on Xbox 360s.  Works kinds the same.  As you indicated in your suggestion, you do need to have the files in your local library, but you can right click on any playlist, album, video, or file and choose play on remote.  That choice is a submenu that auto-populates with the other devices it finds on your network.  One you start playback, you can scrub thru the files and control volume from the local machine.

I downloaded the Windows 7 64-bit Beta build yesterday, so I'll have to check it out.   

wombat66

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 11:40:42 pm »

I have totally wanted what you guys are describing for years. And as already mentioned, the answer was always "use VNC" or NetRemote. VNC has never cut it for me and NetRemote is too limited.

Count me in as a resounding Yes Please! I would pay extra for this.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 12:15:28 am »

It sounds good to me... (also waiting for that distributed DB manipulation ;) )

I downloaded the Windows 7 64-bit Beta build yesterday, so I'll have to check it out.
I've got the 32bit version on my lappy - very nice very fast (for beta) and MC seems to be working wonderfully!

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 09:34:58 pm »

I'll add a bit "ME TOO!" to this.  UltraVNC works, but a local instance of the MC gui that just sends all the commands to a remote version of MC would be a lot faster and just plain cool!

-John

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 07:20:25 am »

To keep this discussion alive, here's a bump from the MC13 board:

One thing I wish for a future release is the ability to stream the output from one MC client, to be played on another client.

The problem:
I have MC12 installed on my server, my Laptop, and a few other PC's around the house.

There is a Roland sound card on my server with 'line out' patched to my living room Amplifier. (I also have headphone out + TV Out modulated as a Nicam Stereo Cable TV channel, so I can listen in stereo on any TV in the house!)

Currently I use a MS Remote Desktop session to control Media Center, which works 'OK'. Limitations are that the server screen is diverted to the laptop, and DirectX doesn't work, so it is not possible to display Video or Images at the server (& therefore on my 'private TV channel'!). But this is acceptable if you mostly are interested in Audio.

The Remote Desktop solution however is not easy enough to pass W.A.T. (wife acceptance test!), so the only other solution to control MC on the server is to use Remote Server, which is incredibly basic, rather unfriendly and unintuitive, and has not been improved since forever. Even if with a huge amount of time invested, Remote Server will never be an elegant solution for controlling a remote Media Center installation, and of course developing it further would inevitably stop Remote Server working with PDA's and other very thin clients.

The Solution?
So.. if there was a possibility for my Server Media Center / Media Server to act as a 'Zone', this might be a simpler option, instead of extending the very basic remote control functionality?

In other words, when opening a client instance of MC that is by default loading its media library from a library server, it would be great if you could also optionally stream the output via that servers own sound card. (optionally, since often you would want to play the output to the client, as originally intended)

I guess there are many ways to crack this, but my dream is to enable others in my family to control the media on our server, using a local install of Media Center connected to the library server, using Theater view. When pressing play, (or as a menu choice) they would then see an easily accessible menu choice to output the resulting stream to the Server OR to the installed MC client.

Any other takers for this? :)

In general, I think a solution that could remotely take full control of another MC/PC instance in a way or another would be more important than Library Server.

Library Server is a necessity only when the files need to be streamed using HTTP. On a home LAN MS's standard file sharing can be used. As we know, Library Server has serious limitations. It really doesn't work with big video files and many users are using other methods like simply importing the shared media file folders to several MC instances or sharing the library files.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 12:31:31 pm »

I've asked this for one in the past as well.
I'd love to see this.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 10:51:50 am »

My idea is this:

Have a "remote control" system that connects to another instance of MC13 running on the network and loads its library, similar to the current Library Client/Server system, however have all playback stay on the "server" machine.  In other words, I'd be able to browse the server's library on a laptop/netbook as though it were the local library (using Theater View if I want, or Standard View, or whatever), but when I double click on a file, change zones, create a playlist, and/or whatever else, it would actually play the files on the remote machine, rather than locally.

Why is RDP not suitable ?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 12:42:39 pm »

Again... Read the above description.  RDP isn't the same at all.  For one, it doesn't work very well with 3D applications like Theater View (which is my main goal).

For two, and most importantly, I don't want to have Theater or Standard View visible at all on the "playback" machine at all (even for the short period needed to start up a different playlist or whatever).  I want the "playback machine" to remain FIXED on Display View 100% of the time (or with multiple detached displays in my case, but the same idea holds) so that it can be controlled seamlessly without interrupting the "presentation" that is currently active on that machine.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 02:22:52 pm »

For one, it doesn't work very well with 3D applications like Theater View (which is my main goal).

Ah well thats a pity, since you prolly want the output on your big screen.

I don't want to have Theater or Standard View visible at all on the "playback" machine at all

So MC runs as a service on the backend and outputs its display to a certain port like x-windows ?

Still going to thave the first problem you mentioned tho :(

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 02:35:06 am »

Could thread be moved to the main forum ?

It would provide a good basis for the remote thread.
Pages: [1]   Go Up