INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot Acquire Images in 13.0.114  (Read 1902 times)

chirpp

• World Citizen
Cannot Acquire Images in 13.0.114
« on: January 30, 2009, 12:08:11 am »

I am just setting up a new computer for my wife.  I decided to load the latest version of 13. I have never used MC to acquire photos so I am not sure if I am doing it wrong or what. (Just saw it listed asa feature on your web site)

It is a Canon EOS 10D. I loaded Canon CD/Software and only installed File Viewer, Remote Capture and EOS Driver. Loaded MC. Rebooted.
Power on camera. Windows see's it. Run Tools/Acquire Images and the "acquire Images" options appear in lower left. I then chose Options. I changed the path to the correct network path. First time i used Z:\My Pictures\[Date]. The Acquire Images Windows showed EOS 10d, so I clicked Acquire. Numbers flew by in the screen, and my hard drive went busy.  It completed. No files were dumped to where I asked for them.  I tried it again to a different folder Z:\My Pictures\test. No files. Put it to a local C: folder. No luck. I have the Acquire Images Options set with check mark off of Delete File from the source, and check is on for Skip file if already exists in the library (it should not as this is a brand new install).
Any ideas? Are they going somewhere that I don't know about?  The Library does not see any either, so it appears to not be acquiring.  I will run an import of my existing photos, maybe that will help...

#2- Assuming I get this working, are their variables that I can use to set the folder name to the shooting date, and not the date I uploaded? Zoom Browser is nice that way, so if you wait 3 weeks to upload, the pictures are in the right folders. Others wise you don't know what folder to look in.

chirpp

• World Citizen
Re: Cannot Acquire Images in 13.0.114
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 12:51:15 am »

As an update to this, I was able to grab photos using Photoshop, so I know the Wia drivers are working correctly. I searched my local C: drive to see if the pictures possibly went there. The last updated file was wiadebug.log under Windows. Inside were messages like "CWiaTree::GetFirstChildItem, caller not folder" and "AllocBufferFile, CreateFile on (null) failed, GetLastError = 0x3". No idea what program creates this file, but after seeing it, I wanted to make sure WIA was working, and confirmed it with PS.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 01:28:28 am »

It reads as though you've set everything correctly...
The only thing you don't mention is the filetype setting. Are you shooting .jpg or raw? and is the acquire tool set to look for that filetype?

The answer to #2 is no.
The files are transferrred from the device to the specified location, and then parsed for embedded tag data, which is imported into the library.

I use an "incoming" folder to import all my photos to, and then set a view scheme up in MC to show all photos in that folder, grouped by date taken. I only use the keywords field for tagging photos, and I set that pane to run down the left-hand side. When tagging photos using this view, I hide the tree, which gives maximum screen real estate to the job in hand....

Once the files have been weeded and tagged, I use the "Rename, Move & Copy Files" tool to move them to their final resting place on my hard drive, and it is at this stage that you can specify that the files are placed in "date taken" folders.

One final tip for this view:
If, as described above, you limit the view to only include photos in your incoming folder, there won't be any tags in the keywords field. This is because the field only lists tags present in the current file list, so, you would need to use the "add keyword" option to tag a file with a keyword that already exists in your library. This gets quite old, quite quickly!! It's a system that works very well in other areas where you really wouldn't want every tag listed, so, let's work around it for this instance...

Rather than limit the files to your incoming folder, set it to show all of your photos.
Set up a new, 'Calculated data' library field for grouping the files by... perhaps try: if(isequal([filename],incoming,8),Not Tagged - formatdate([date,0],yyyy//MM//dd),Finished)
This assumes you have placed your incoming photos somewhere in a folder called "Incoming". You can name the field anything you please, it will only be used for grouping files.
In the view options, use z-a grouping and choose your new field to group by. You should then see all your new photos at the top of the list, grouped by date taken, while the final group, called "Finished", will contain all of the photos you've previously tagged and moved out of the incoming folder, which in turn, means that when working on the new photos, you will have all available keywords at your disposal in the keywords field.
------

Now, as I typed all of the above, I saved time by making the assumption that you know all about adding fields and setting up views in MC.
It's also quite possible that none of the above is of any interest to you, which is fine :) (edit: caught your second post while I was typing... I guess we should get MC to actually import something first, huh? ;))
If you are interested in setting up something similar, and need some finer detail or have any other questions, please, just ask.

-marko.

edit 2: you replied while I was typing. I'm not at all sure about the debug log ? Are the photos stored on an SD card, and if so, do you have a card reader, and if so, can you aquire files that way using MC?

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 07:05:37 am »

Holy Moly Rockie! I am somewhat familiar with adding library fields, tags, and somewhat on the views. I always love to learn more!
To answer your questions, the camera is saving in jpg format, and my settings in JR are jpg;mpg;avi;3gp (default).  The card is a Compact Flash.  I do have a usb CF reader and could pull from there, but that makes it appears a new drive in XP so not sure what that gains me.

I just backed up my library, removed 114, and installed 113. No mods made to this install. Attempted acquire using default path C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\[Date]\ and file selection” jpg;mpg;avi;3gp”. Still no luck.  What seems odd as the file counter counts up but pretty fast, IMO.  These are large pictures so it should take a while to download them.  When it gets done counting the files, JR just closes that import window and no message after that.  I think usually it would tell me # of files imports, or something.  I wonder if my camera driver is doing something?  However the fact that PS can import them tells me something is right.
I removed 13.0.113 and put back on 114. Any other ideas?  Can I get some sort of debug on this to send?

One last thing, I installed the JR program but did not restore my license file.  I wanted to ensure it was going to work on her computer for her first.  Using 30 day trial mode should not affect this, I wouldn’t think.  Thought I would mention it though. Must be the cold weather?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 08:54:50 am »

Trial mode has no effect.

We haven't had problems with camera acquisition for a long time, so I can only wonder if the drivers are "special".

MC13 supports WIA, though it's not our favorite.  Most newer cameras just appear as removeable drives.

Use default settings until (if) it works, just in case we've got an obscure bug.

Some devices have more than one memory source, and this is a possible issue.

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 04:24:35 pm »

I will try a different camera on there and see how it goes.  I can also install the camera's Zoom Browser to make sure it is working. Seems odd that PS sees it so it would appear to be working, but who knows. I'll update this post once I test come more.

chirpp

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 12:31:01 pm »

I have not fallen off the earth. My apologies for the late reply.  I still cannot get my Canon cameras to acquire using MC. I tried connecting to a fresh install of Windows XP/MC13, no luck. Then installed Canon Zoom browser and tried MC13. No luck. Tried same scenario with Vista. No luck. Tried same scenario with MC14.  No luck.

So I assume it is a canon camera issue.  I have a Nikon and it acquires without issue.

Strange but not the end of the world. On to other things.
Pages: [1]   Go Up