INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Albumartist...what's it all about?  (Read 557 times)

Vlad

Albumartist...what's it all about?
« on: July 20, 2002, 05:16:15 am »

MJ has this wonderfull Albumartist field.  So full of potential, yet it doesn't seem to be used (at least not for me).  Is there some option to activate it?  Is there a function to populate it from Artist and Album information?

shelly

RE:Albumartist...what's it all about?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2002, 05:45:31 am »

I found that it wasn't very helpful for me in terms of organization and sorting to use the default "various artists", so I enter "various artists" combined with the albun title.  For example, the album artist for the compilation "Jazz Romance" becomes "Various Jazz Romance Artists."  I created an Album Artist/Album view scheme, so that I can view all of my compilations at a glance.  

Shelly

Vlad

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2002, 05:53:33 am »

Hi Shelly,

I find that it's alway empty unless I populate it manually.  I had imagined that MJ would automatically populate it with the value in Artist or "Various Artists" depending on what the album contained.

dragyn

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2002, 08:12:04 am »

This is probably related to your other question so I'll explain this and maybe it will help some.

When you use "Artist" in a view scheme, MJ will look at the Artist field and display the results. Album Artist isn't even looked at.

When you use "Album Artist" in a view scheme, it treats the Album Artist field as an Artist and then IF no entry is given, it uses the Artist field.

So if you make a view scheme: "Album Artist"/"Album", it will show the entries in "Album Artist" and then Album. Like (Various Artists)/MTV's Party To Go. (Various Artists) being the "Album Artist" entry. The files without an entry will be displayed just like using "Artist"/"Album"

Vlad

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2002, 08:32:13 am »

Thanks Dragyn,

yes, I worked all that out.  I'm in this fix beacause, instead of ripping my compilations to the "Various Artists" directory, I have them scattered around under individual track artists.  And that's because I didn't know how to configure EAC correctly to add APE tags (I've sorted that out now).

I now have the difficult task of going through and updating properties album by album...

Wow.  There's nothing like stating your ideas out loud (or in print).  While writing that, it just occured to me that I can quickly go through the albums and pop the compilations into a playlist.  Then I can update that in one hit.

Listening to: 'Katie' from 'The Collection' by 'Mary Black' on Media Jukebox
Pages: [1]   Go Up