INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't rip or play CDs any longer  (Read 1574 times)

johnp

• World Citizen
  • let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'
Can't rip or play CDs any longer
« on: February 16, 2009, 06:28:25 pm »

I am having a ripping/playback problem similar to many posted in the past, with no clue how to resolve it.  Most everyone's issues were resolved with MC updates.  My configuration used to work and is listed below.  I have shipped dozens of systems like this with no problem.  Not sure if some setting got tweaked to make this no longer work.  I can play CDs in Windows media player without issue.  I can play audio from the library in MC without issues as well.

When I try to rip I get a message that says "Read track failed, failed to extract digital audio."  When I try to play, I get this error: "Media Center encountered errors while trying to play the last several files.  Please make sure that the path in your media library points to the right location."

Totally stumped!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Configuration listed below...

Media Center 12.0.534 Registered -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\

Server 5.2 Service Pack 1 (Build 3790)
Intel Pentium 4 2996 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2097 MB, Free - 1845 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.3790.1830 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.3790 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.3790 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.3790 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D: SONY    DVD RW DW-Q120A   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  Drive D: SONY     DVD RW DW-Q120A    Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  last.fm (Active)
  Library Server (Active)
  TiVo Server (Active)
  UPnP Server (Active)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Can't rip or play CDs any longer
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 06:35:32 pm »

Any PC?

Did you try disabling any third party software?

Could you try MC13?  It might give a different error message.

johnp

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 08:14:58 am »

No. it's just on this one PC/system AFAIK. Things I tried were to disable Music Lobby plugin, completely uninstall and re-install Media Center.  I will try MC13 this afternoon and see what that does.

Thanks,

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 08:32:54 am »

Did you try swapping the drive? 

For the last 24 hours, we've been in transition with our CD database and cover art database.  Maybe that affects you.  Try playing a CD that is already in your local database.

johnp

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 08:46:42 am »

I was leaning that way, but the system is in Texas and I only have remote access.  I think I could trust the end user to swap the drive, but I want to exhaust all the other options first.  I am a bit perplexed as to why the same CD(s) would play in Windows Media player and not in MC if it were a HW issue??

Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up