INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Obsidian Theater View - Show Controls?  (Read 1794 times)

gregborax

Obsidian Theater View - Show Controls?
« on: February 21, 2009, 09:50:26 pm »

I have been a Media Center user for many years now but am new to trying out the Theater Views since I just built my very first HTPC.  I'm a huge fan of the new an improved Theater View for this version, but have one concern.  I see in the previous views that still exist there is a toggle button for show/hide controls.  Does this not exist in the new view, or can I just not find it?  I've been trying to look for it an searching the forum a lot without any luck.  Before I completely give up I figured I would post here.

Just for my experience, if I can't get at those controls in the Playing Now view, I will stick with the older Theater Views.  This is most unfortunate from my perspective since there seems to be an incredible improvement in the general user interface and navigation for the new version.  However, expecting someone (especially non-technical) to navigate up, down and side to side to get to the full list of controls is not an improvement but a step backwards in my opinion.

Forgive me if I missing something here, since I've only been trying out the Theater View option in the past 4 weeks and am not as familiar with it as the rest of the product.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Obsidian Theater View - Show Controls?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 06:56:33 am »

There is no show/hide in Obsidian, as far as I know, but you should find everything you need there.  Let us know if we've missed something.

kewe65

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 06:04:48 pm »

I had the same thought as the previous user..    "Where's the Stop and Pause?"  It's odd that its not right there when playing a song from a song list....  you have click a couple times at the top to get the controls to scroll over to the left...

kewe65

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 06:07:36 pm »

and in the Now Playing screen, you have to click More and THEN click a couple times to get stop and play to scroll over...  pause, forward, rewind and play should be anchored somewhere or even in the drop down on right click

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 06:31:09 pm »

Remember, this is supposed to be a 10-foot interface.  You should have a remote.  I know theater view only took off for me when I found remotes that work for me.  You should have a play button, etc.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 07:14:26 pm »

Remember, this is supposed to be a 10-foot interface.  You should have a remote.  I know theater view only took off for me when I found remotes that work for me.  You should have a play button, etc.

Agreed.

gregborax

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 05:46:54 pm »

Ok I don't have a problem with the suggestion that normal "vcr controls" (play, pause, etc.) should be handled via a remote control device.  I'm new to using remotes with Media Center (very advanced user for universal remotes).  I've not exactly decide on my best remote option for my first HTPC that I built from scratch.  I've played around with several options and am not entirely pleased with any one so far.  Do all the play, pause, etc. commands map to a control key sequence?  That may help me with the overall experience of remote control.  Currently I've been experimenting with using my ipod touch and the wifi remote software, but neither the windows media player or windows media center control pages work with MC13.  I've tried programming my universal remote control (mx-900) to work with my HTPC, but even with the USB-IRT device I can't get everything to work smoothly.  I had avoided purchasing the windows media center remotes because I didn't know if they would be compatible with MC13 as well as my other non-microsoft apps like powerdvd and napster.

Give all this information, can someone give me a good direction to take?  I had even settled for the idea of using my air mouse as my primary remote control, but that is what lead to my original post for this thread.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 05:49:24 pm »

You don't have to do any mapping if you get a Microsoft MC remote.  This thread on our wiki will help explain.

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Television
Pages: [1]   Go Up