INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this a dangerous use of stacks?  (Read 895 times)

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Is this a dangerous use of stacks?
« on: March 18, 2009, 12:52:59 pm »

I have some albums on ape that I also have as mp3.
I figured I would stack the two tracks.
I understand the benefit: if I rate the top most track or change the subgenre, the second one also gets that rating and subgenre. Excellent.

But here is where my method might not work.
I thought it would be great to stack all my copies of Costello's Allison, for example.
So I have the ape and the mp3. But I also have another mp3 that is from a Greatest Hits collection.
It would be great to connect the ratings, genre, subgenre, etc the way stack would permit.
But the album field, for example, has to remain unique.

I'm afraid that one day I will notice a typo in the album field and modify it (thereby modifying the album field in all the items). The stack icon is pretty easy to miss, so I can definitely see myself doing this at some point.  Of course, I could prevent this if I could select only certain fields that could apply to all members of the stack (rating, genre, subgenre for audio; keyword, people etc for pictures).

My guess is that this is not possible, correct?

Does anyone use stacks the way I was about to? How do they get around these issues?
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: Is this a dangerous use of stacks?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 09:50:45 pm »

My understanding is that what you're suggesting would, in fact, be pretty dangerous, for all the reasons you mentioned.
Pages: [1]   Go Up