INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: YADB problems  (Read 5109 times)

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
YADB problems
« on: April 09, 2009, 06:11:31 pm »

So, I just got the new U2 CD and was shocked that MC didn't find it in YADB. It is somewhat possible that because I bought it here in Japan the tracks are slightly different and therefore didn't match, but there was a special Japan version with a bonus track that I did not get, so I assume this is the same as the US version. The track order is certainly the same as that on the US version.

At the same time I got last year's Enya CD ("And Winter Came..."), and it too wasn't found in YADB. I retried looking up the tracks and 2 or 3 of them were found correctly, along with a couple others matching an entirely different CD.

So, a few things...

First, I'm wondering why YADB couldn't find U2, which I have to assume is in the database.

Second, when I got a couple of the Enya tracks to match I started wishing that there was a way to select that track and tell MC to load the YADB info for the other tracks on the CD assuming they're all from the CD. Consider this a feature request.

Similarly, it would be nice if there was a way to explicitly query YADB and say, "look up the U2 'No Line On The Horizon' CD and use it to fill in track info".

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: YADB problems
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 05:06:05 am »

I just checked my pressing of that U2 disc and MC displayed three versions, two of them apparently had correct names and one was slightly off. One of the "correct" submissions may originally have been mine. I am not sure how exactly the database stores different versions, but I think there is some kind of voting system involved. After I now resubmitted the info a couple of times by right-clicking the CD icon in the tree and selecting "Submit to Online Database" another MC instance (on another PC) doesn't anymore offer different versions when I right-click the icon and select "Update from Online Database". It applies the found info directly.

I don't have the Enya disc so I can't say anything about it.

Maybe you have been using the "Library Tools > Lookup Track Info From YADB" feature instead of the actual CD database. In my opinion the "track info" feature has never been very reliable. It is based on audio fingerprinting and the tracks must have been submitted separately before it can work. I have now submitted the "U2 - No Line On the Horizon" tracks also to the track database and they seem to work for me (they didn't before this submission). The track submission can be done only by selecting the already ripped audio files and doing "Library Tools > Submit Track Info To YADB".

EDIT

After all I think something is not working reliably when the CD database is queried.

I did a new test with this U2 disc. I did lots of repeated queries (by right-clicking the CD icon in the tree and selecting "Update from online database") and only once a while MC displayed the "Multiple Match" window with the three separate matches. Usually it just quickly flashed a small message window and stopped without getting info or showing an error message. (I think the message windows says "working...", but it flashes too fast to be readable.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 12:02:47 am »

Thanks for testing this. I'd have to agree the results aren't consistent. I did indeed use the "Loockup Track Info" option, but that was only after the disc wasn't found when I initially inserted it.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 01:12:06 am »

After all I think something is not working reliably when the CD database is queried.

I did a new test with this U2 disc. I did lots of repeated queries (by right-clicking the CD icon and selecting "Update from online database") and only once a while MC displayed the "Multiple Match" window with the three separate matches. Usually it just quickly flashed a small message window and stopped without getting info or showing an error message. (I think the message windows says "working...", but it flashes too fast to be readable.)

I saw this yesterday too.  On one occasion, YADB presented Multiple Match choices.  After that, it would not present the choices again.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 05:02:11 am »

Besides that the lookup (and submission) should always provide some kind of response so that the user can know if the operation wasn't successful the right-click commands in the tree are difficult to reach and their existence is not obvious. (tree > Drives & Devices > drive / disc icon > right-click ...)

As I have requested before, it would be good to add approriate buttons for the same functions to the actual ripping details view.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 07:08:51 pm »

Still seeing issues.  This empty Multiple Match is most helpful. ;-)
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 03:36:08 pm »

I just ripped another popular CD.

The initial lookup didn't return data. I repeated it manually three times without success. Finally the fourth attempt returned correct data.

Something is obviously not right. The unsuccessful queries happen very quickly. MC does not show the "The CD Lookup Failed" warning that normally shows up after some time if the connection cannot be established.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 04:15:40 pm »

This is causing me issues.  I keep ending up with CD's ripped to folders with names like unknown album, unknown track.
If not resolved soon I'm going to have to start using something else to rip.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 04:35:28 pm »

Thanks for the report, we'll check into this Monday.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 08:52:49 pm »

Something's up with it. We are working on it.

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 10:03:55 pm »

I am using Windows Vista 64 and have just purchased MediaCenter13.  Prior to that I was using Media Jukebox 12 successfully.  I never had a problem with Disc Lookup with JukeBox on my Windows XP machines.  Now that I'm on Vista and using MediaCenter 13 it only works less than 5% of the time, but most of the time it DOES NOT locate the CD information.  I have both machines side-by-side and I put the exact same CD in my Windows XP machine with Jukebox as well as with ITunes and it finds them almost everytime.  So, there's clearly a problem with MediaCenter and Vista.  If that's the case, then I've purchased this copy in vain as it will be useless if I cannot rip.

The first severaly times I got an error message that "CD Lookup Failed".  Now, it doesn't give me that message anymore, but I can see all the tag information is "unknown", which means it didn't work.

I have followed your directions to "Enable Online Disc Lookup" and there is no such options -- it is not under Tools>Options>CD & DVD as you say it is.   I tried Auto-Rip, but that just imports with everything as "unknown".   The instructions under help/contents are very unclear and don't propertly reflect the actual software options in several instances that I've discovered.  Quite frustrating.

Please help!!  Time is of the essence, we desperately need our music for some special events in Poland in the next week.
SusieM - I'm Using MC on MacOS & Windows 10.

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 12:22:55 pm »

Is anyone at JRiver working on this?  I've never used a forum before and I'm not sure if I posted my last message in the right place.

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 12:33:11 pm »

Is anyone at JRiver working on this?

Something's up with it. We are working on it.

An update would be nice, though... any news, Bob?
Sue

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 12:39:32 pm »

Working on it.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 05:20:22 pm »

It seems good to me now. Can I get some feedback??

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 08:01:54 pm »

I tried 2 CD's, so far so good.  Will try more tonight.  Thank you!

Link

• World Citizen
  • Is that some kind of Eastern thing?
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 01:23:18 pm »

It seems good to me now. Can I get some feedback??

Much better last night - I had been having the same issues.

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 04:37:18 pm »

I this a problem again.  trying to rip cd and none are found.  major problem.

gappie

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 05:03:38 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up