INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC13 - Access Problem with Networkdrives after restart (Vista x64) [Solved]  (Read 1553 times)

apeters

Hello!
I've got a Problem with my MC13 on my Vista system. I searched the Forum, but dont find a answer.

Description:
I use a mapped Networkshare for my music and added this for Autoimport. All works successfully, he found my music and playing ist ok. But when i restart my computer and start MC 13, he always says he cant play my music, because he cant access it, but thats not right. I can use Winamp and play the music. Starting Mp3's direct from the explorer isnt working too. I think thats a Problem with the Vista UAC, but i dont know how i can solve it. He is also asking for permissions when i start MC13.

I tested, reinstalling, new Library, etc.. nothing works.

Someone any idear?

Thanks and happy easter

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC13 - Access Problem with Networkdrives after restart (Vista x64)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 07:26:26 am »

Happy Easter.

Maybe the drive isn't available when MC starts?

MC has a setting for network drives that aren't available.  Tools/Options/Library & Folders/Fix Broken links -- set it to "Yes (protect network files)".

Try turning UAC off.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 07:54:56 am »

I have a similar problem but am using WinXP. 

My drives are mapped to my laptop and it works fine most of the time except when I restart Media Center, then it says something like "MC cannot play the selected files, check that the files exist and are not protected by access control".

My drive mapping settings tell Windows to reconnect at logon.
The drives appear in Windows Explorer as they should.

However, to get MC to play the music files after MC first starts I must first open each mapped drive's folder in Windows Explorer. Once this has been done then MC will play that file that were previously shown as unavailable.

It appears to me that Windows does retain connection to the mapped drive(s) but MC does not sense this.

Note - this will occur even if neither the laptop or the PC with the actual drives has been restarted, and the mapped connection had been used since boot-up. The only difference is that MC was re-started.
Could one of the machines having been in 'sleep' mode cause this? Perhaps a re-connect delay longer than MC's time-out?
. . . the game is rigged

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 11:31:48 am »

I have a similar problem but am using WinXP. 

My drives are mapped to my laptop and it works fine most of the time except when I restart Media Center, then it says something like "MC cannot play the selected files, check that the files exist and are not protected by access control".

My drive mapping settings tell Windows to reconnect at logon.
The drives appear in Windows Explorer as they should.

However, to get MC to play the music files after MC first starts I must first open each mapped drive's folder in Windows Explorer. Once this has been done then MC will play that file that were previously shown as unavailable.

It appears to me that Windows does retain connection to the mapped drive(s) but MC does not sense this.

Note - this will occur even if neither the laptop or the PC with the actual drives has been restarted, and the mapped connection had been used since boot-up. The only difference is that MC was re-started.
Could one of the machines having been in 'sleep' mode cause this? Perhaps a re-connect delay longer than MC's time-out?

This used to happen to me as well for a short period with MC12, but somehow I fixed it. I wasn't sure whether it was rebooting my server, changing the drive share setup, or an upgrade to MC12 that solved the issue.

apeters

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 05:47:39 am »

Hello!
I solved my Problem. The Problem was, that I installed MC13 in "c:\Tools\MediaPlayer\" not in "c:\Program Files (x86)\". So Vista thinks, that application isnt secure, so he dont get the rights, to access my networkdrives. Why the Problem only have MC13 and not my other Tools, i dont know.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

I've been seeing similar behavior regularly with my Windows 7 64-bit installs (build 7000 still).  Just after I reboot the system (for whatever reason)... If I then immediately open MC up, it will show all the files on the network drives as "broken" (with the Xs).  However, in this case, all I need to do is close MC and then open it again and then it will work correctly.

While MC is showing the Xs, though, there is nothing I can do to get it to work properly without closing and reopening it, including browsing and playing files off of the network drives via Windows Explorer.  It just seems like it refuses to even "try" to play the files, once it has decided that they're missing.

Odd.  I've never reported it because it only happens on my Windows 7 installs, and I figure it could be some Windows weirdness that could be even fixed with newer builds.

(FWIW, I also regularly get errors starting MC up relating to JRTools.dll and am forced to reinstall MC.)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up