INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: kb902344  (Read 5297 times)

nickeaston

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
kb902344
« on: April 27, 2009, 09:56:58 pm »

I'm tired of having r13 stall at installing hotfix kb902344; Windows update doesn't seem to think I need it, and I don't know how to install it manually.

The only related thread here seemed to acquire no response.

Where does this issue stand?

Update:  I found the hotfix at Windows Update > "software, optional" and installed it.  No effect on the MC install lockup at "Installing KB902344 MTP Hotfix..." (Installing Dependencies)...
=================

Update for WMDRM-enabled Media Players (KB902344)
Date last published: 8/12/2008
Download size: 614 KB 
Install this update on your PC if you use a portable device that accesses subscription media content protected by Windows Media Digital Rights Management.  After you install this update, you may have to restart your computer.
System Requirements
Recommended CPU: Not specified.
Recommended memory: Not specified.
Recommended hard disk space: Not specified.
How to Uninstall
This software update can be removed via Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
Get help and support
http://support.microsoft.com
More information

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902344

Print | Close 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: kb902344
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 06:41:45 am »

What version of MC are you using?  What version of Windows?

nickeaston

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 08:59:18 am »

I sucessfully use MC12 to manage about a quarter million tunes. 

Win XP SP3 (nightly updates) MCE Dell License (MCE doesn't work but I don't want it anyway.)

Version 130152 still halts as mentioned above.

I just installed the trial on my secondary desktop, WXP Pro v2002 SP3 without a problem...

...edit:
BTW, the 30-day trial I just installed on a test computer has expired already...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 09:59:27 am »

BTW, the 30-day trial I just installed on a test computer has expired already...
Check the system date.

nickeaston

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 02:58:01 pm »

My test workstation was 3 months off; MC13 still installs with 30 day trial expired.

My primary workstation still crashes at the hotfix; the system time is ok. (The install locks up/hangs at the hotfix).  (This is the Dell-flavored XP)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 03:30:30 pm »

If your date was incorrect, the trial may be over.  No way to fix that.

Did you try google on problems with that fix?  We've had it in the build for a long time.

You could also try updating WMP.  It might cure the problem.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 04:23:46 pm »

In build 160 and later (available in a week or so), we added this:
NEW: Added support for command line switch /NoDependencies to installer to bypass installation of third-party dependencies like DirectX tools DLL, etc.

We should still figure out why the install is failing, but this should allow you to install in-spite of the issue.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 04:35:56 pm »

This may not be relevant, but XP was also available without WMP. MS was forced to release the so called "Windows XP Edition N" because of European Union competition law. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP)

If MC is first downloading the hotfix, disabling the internet connection might work as a workaround. MC might continue the install if it detects that the package cannot be downloaded. (It worked with an old WM update that wasn't compatible with a certain OS configuration, but this may be a different thing. Personally I have not stumbled on it.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

nickeaston

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 08:06:25 pm »

1. MC13 installed by disconnecting web, as suggested.

2. I dumped Windows Media Player early in the Dell decrapping/debugging phase (and want to keep it dumped), mainly because there was too much conflict between WMP and MC (I want MC to be the exclusive music player).  If I ever buy Dell again, I will begin with a plain vanilla XP Pro.  I have over 100 installed programs, too much time required to reinstall a clean OS and start from square one...

3. The "no dependencies" option sounds like a good idea for XP users with a less than sanitary install.
Pages: [1]   Go Up