INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorting albums differently than artists?  (Read 1034 times)

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
Sorting albums differently than artists?
« on: May 13, 2009, 07:34:09 am »

Under Audio, I have the Artists view as the one I use most often. The top is sorted as Artist-Album making it easy with the Alphabet to find an artist. Occasionally I get the urge to listen to all albums I have for an artist. I find the artist and then go into their albums. I like to listen to their oldest album to their newest, however the top is still sorted the same way with Artist-Album. I do have the bottom listed with details grouped by Album and sorted as Artist-Album-Disc-Track so they are listed from the oldest to newest.

Unless I'm missing something, the only way to select all these albums in the order I want is to select all the details either by keystrokes or right-click lasso. The first column I show is the Image (large thumbnail). It would be nice to be able to at least click on the album image which would select all the entire songs in the album. It appears the album image is just a visual only. Or another way would be able to have a different customized view for the top for albums which I could then sort as date ascending.

Is there an easier way to do what I want?
Jeff

eba

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Sorting albums differently than artists?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 04:43:10 pm »

Maybe I misunderstand what you're asking, but what you want seems very simple: just set the sorting on the top to Custom: Artist, Year, Album.
So you get the top sorted alphabetically for artists, you then double click on an artist and it shows you their albums by release date.  Or just click Play on the Artist and it will play the whole lot in that order.

Group by album automatically seems to sort like this (unless you choose it from the a-z menu), which is actually slightly strange, but I'd guess that's why you're seeing that, as Artist-Album-Disc-Track gives no reason for it to sort by release date.

Hope that helps and I haven't just completely misunderstood :)

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sorting albums differently than artists?
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 06:45:17 am »

Yeah, that was too easy. I had to use Album Artist (auto) though to keep things like Various sorted correctly. It still falls back that it would be nice to have different views for the nested levels, especially thumbnail sizes. Thanks for the help.
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up