INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I tag home files from work?  (Read 1033 times)

eatmorepossum

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
How can I tag home files from work?
« on: May 22, 2009, 06:46:12 am »

I've been a MC user for years.  I recently upgraded to v13 and am wondering if there a way to:

Can I listen to served music at work? (yes working through the media server perfectly)
AND tag the files on my home server from work? (i'd mainly like to be able to assign a star value when a song plays)

My solution has been to remote into my home server and run a tandem play list at home.  Then perform the tagging via windows remote desktop.  I'm hoping they'll be a cleaner solution perhaps through the web interface plug in or other?

Thanks!
chris

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How can I tag home files from work?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 10:30:30 am »

I was just about to ask a similar question, except I'm at home. All files are on the living room HTPC, but I do all my tagging/playlist creating etc on my laptop (as I'm sure many do).  I used to have just the one library on the HTPC and I'd VNC into that machine to do all the work, but that was just too slow and awkward.  So I created another library on my laptop, and now I use a syncing program to keep both libraries (including thumbnails) synced. Very tedious, time-consuming, and basically a pain, but at least it can be done.

I do all of this because as I understand it, if I were to keep one library on the HTPC and run library server (or one of the server type offerings), I could not tag with my laptop (which is what you want to do, but from work).

Am I correct? There is no way to run the server on one machine, but do all the work on another?
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How can I tag home files from work?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 10:32:44 am »

Have a look at the excellent HTTP Remote Control and see what you think. Could work for you both.
Pages: [1]   Go Up