INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which phone should I get?  (Read 1714 times)

darichman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Which phone should I get?
« on: May 24, 2009, 07:44:30 am »

I still have an older nokia, but am thinking of getting a smartphone of some description soon-ish. Anyone have any experience, good or otherwise with any in particular? Anyone using anything with MC?

There's a lot I like about the iPhone (I came very close to getting one the other day), but I do want the freedom to do with it what I want... I'm not a big fan of apple locking things down - if I pay for something I should be able to use it however I want...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Which phone should I get?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 07:50:51 am »

I bought an Android phone a few months ago.  I think Android has a promising future.  It's been slow developing so far, but so was linux.

Get an unlocked phone if you can.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 10:10:22 am »

Personally, I'd go with an HTC product. Probably the Touch HD or, if you can wait, a Touch Pro2 or the Diamond 2 (available in Europe, but not in Australia yet). Having said that, I was playing with the Sony xPeria today which seemed pretty bloomin good too, and I think there's a Samsung around also.

Pocket Player is a decent media player for the winmo devices, and I'll keep randomly bugging JR for a winmo version of MC too :)

While winmo 6.1 isnt yet at the niceness stage of iPhones the up coming versions look very promising (check out xda-developers.net) with version 6.5 just around the corner, and a definite road map for versions 7 & 8. MS looks like it might finally be getting rolling on this segement again... about time.

Daydream

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 04:30:19 pm »

Nokia forever! (loudly protesting against the US wireless providers that have an unjust control over the phone market)

Unlocked E71 running here (Newegg). Works everywhere in the world. Does 3.5G on AT&T in US. I can easily amaze both the young crowd with it's media options and the office folks.
Put a 8GB microSD in it, works like a charm (no access issues formatted as 8GB). Works with MC flawlessly (as far as I tried) with the phone connected in MassStorage mode. You just copy the files over (on the SD card) in the most plain way with MC and then do a refresh in MediaPlayer on the phone and everything pops up, covers included.

Might not be the best choice if you are heavy into texting (who are these people? :);full keyboard but a bit small).

Invisible Shield (google it) has a cover for it making it practically indestructible short of running a truck over it.

Did I say Nokia forever!?

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 08:03:14 pm »

I must say, if you want a PHONE that has some PDA functions, Nokia does rule. It comes down to your personal focus... Phone vs PDA. For me =, the PDA function wins. Just.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 01:24:48 am »

Thanks for the advice guys. I've noticed some of the phones people have recommended to me we can't get over here (I'm in Australia) which is a shame. My brother bought an iPhone yesterday... I'm very tempted.

I do plan on buying something outright though... so a bit more research on my part is definitely in order. I'll have a look at all the ones mentioned in this thread.
Thanks again.

JONCAT

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 08:10:29 pm »

My two cents as a long time Windows/PC user since the days I retired my Apple IIGS.....the iPhone has been a nice fit here. Just need the iPhone plug-in to roll out soon.

Mine is unlocked with no data plan (and I'm still online all the time), and lots of resources and apps available outside the App store in Cydia and Installer.

If you text a lot that may be an issue but for me, I was pleasantly surprised and enjoy it.

DC

Pages: [1]   Go Up