INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server - Client Permissions  (Read 1001 times)

AdamDale3

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Media Server - Client Permissions
« on: April 30, 2003, 10:55:34 am »

Hi

I'm using one of my PC's as a Media Server using MJ 8.0 and is connected to the TV/Stereo in my living room but I work mostly on another PC which is in my bedroom so I connect to the Media Server to get my music while working.

However, I can't edit the properties of any of the tracks from my bedroom PC. Playlists I create on the Server don't appear on the Clients, nor do Album Covers... is this all by design?

Is there any way round it?

I am the only user with access to my music collection and want full control of the library from wherever I am ideally. Could this just be a windows permissions thing?

Both machines are running Windows XP Pro running in a Workgroup - both machines have version 8.0.398.

Would upgrading to the beta of Media Jukebox 9 help?

Also, I created a Playlist on my 'client' PC but now cannot delete it or rename it. The playlist does not exist on the 'server' PC at all so I'm stuck with it forever - is this right?

Other than these minor points, MJ is a fantastic product - love the Media Server component especially - keep up the excellent work!

Adam

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Media Server - Client Permissions
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2003, 11:06:22 am »

However, I can't edit the properties of any of the tracks from my bedroom PC. Playlists I create on the Server don't appear on the Clients, nor do Album Covers... is this all by design?

The Media Server client only has access to the database in read-only mode. You cannot change the database from the client.

Any changes made to the database after Media Server started sharing will not be visible.

I am the only user with access to my music collection and want full control of the library from wherever I am ideally. Could this just be a windows permissions thing?

If you only access the database from a single machine at a time, you could use windows sharing. It will get corrupted if you access it from two machines at the same time this way.

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up