INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Netbook as a Remote aka Tremote  (Read 90837 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Netbook as a Remote aka Tremote
« Reply #150 on: November 27, 2009, 08:22:32 am »

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #151 on: December 12, 2009, 12:48:39 pm »

how are your guy's speeds with your netbooks\umpc's?  do you have large libraries? are your units wireless n?  do think this is the way to go for a remote?  Also correct me if im wrong.. but if we will be ONLY using this as a remote, one doesnt really need to worry about speeds or processing power correct?
I mean it will be remoting from the htpc.. so basically, its just sending the video to the netbook umpc screen? I'm really scared about large libraries and thumbnail loading!?

I'm still undecided and have researched my brains out trying to figure out which will work the best. for speed, touch, functionality and above all size (smaller the better)
 have you guys seen this?  anyone using windows ce? wonder how performance would be? http://cgi.ebay.com/SMART-V1080P-Mobile-Internet-Device-MID-ALSO-WHOLESALE_W0QQitemZ120476161379QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLaptops_Nov05?hash=item1c0cf05563

more detailed info... http://www.pocketables.net/2009/10/live-shots-of-1080pcapable-smartq-v5-mid-appear.html

and remote desktop info... http://www.smartqmid.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=139&start=0

wonder if this device would suffice for us jriver users? at 399.00 i'd scoop it up if it would :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #152 on: December 12, 2009, 10:32:49 pm »

That won't work with the Tremote feature in MC.  It has to be able to run regular Windows.  That thing is an ARM-based MID, not a x86 computer.

Generally, using Tremote works fairly well.  However, it IS loading the full library into a full-blown copy of MC.  You don't have to worry about file playback support capabilities, but it needs to be able to handle the database functions.

In practice, I've found it works pretty well on my Atom-based EeePC 1000H.  Occasionally I notice that responsiveness is slow (particularly using Image/Photo Views), but most of that has to do with transferring the photos across my wireless network, I'm sure.  I really need to upgrade that router to a Wireless-N router soon.   ::)

Now, if you do it via Remote Desktop, that's a completely different story.  But that's not what this thread is about.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

HTPC4ME

« Reply #153 on: December 12, 2009, 11:46:33 pm »

glynor may i take this convo into a pm with you? so that i purchase the right item for my ideal setup? i promise not to take to much of your time.

llafriel

• World Citizen
« Reply #154 on: December 15, 2009, 04:21:24 am »

Will we ever be able to control a client with tremote? Client to another client that is.

davethe

« Reply #155 on: December 15, 2009, 08:11:15 am »

first post on the forums, other than some questions I will have just wanted to say what a great piece of software MC is. I was using WMP but it kept losing my album art which in retrospect was a good thing as it led me to find MJ. I was using the free player but was looking for a way to control a server remotely using another computer and suprise suprise discovered that the full version of MC has this built in! My current setup is kind of odd, I have a laptop hooked up to my DAC and amp which is the server, but accesses my flac music library on my PC over my home network, but it is my PC I'm using all the time from which I control the laptop (the there) :D

I would like to know if the following can be achieved and if so how to achieve them please:

when starting MC clientside can there:Zone be set as default?

can I create a library view clientside and have the server incorporate it automatically?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: December 15, 2009, 08:20:15 am »

1.  Thanks!

2.  You can start up in a zone with the MC Core Commands.  Take a look at them on our [http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DevZone]DevZone[/url] page on the wiki.  This might do what you want.

3.  No.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #157 on: December 15, 2009, 09:10:55 am »

glynor may i take this convo into a pm with you? so that i purchase the right item for my ideal setup? i promise not to take to much of your time.

Sorry... I missed this.  Sure.  PM away.

davethe

« Reply #158 on: December 15, 2009, 09:16:36 am »

thanks for the super prompt reply JimH! The Core Commands should do what I need maybe using a batch file, thanks for the info. I also found the Ctrl-T shortcut and the fact that a zones button can be added to the interface, nice to have options :) thanks again

llafriel

• World Citizen
« Reply #159 on: December 16, 2009, 04:10:47 am »

Will we ever be able to control a client with tremote? Client to another client that is.

Should I understand the silence around this question as 'It's not decided yet'?
It'd be great if it was made possible.  :)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: December 16, 2009, 06:42:51 am »

Should I understand the silence around this question as 'It's not decided yet'?
It'd be great if it was made possible.  :)
Can you describe exactly what you want to do?  And why?

llafriel

• World Citizen
« Reply #161 on: December 16, 2009, 08:43:06 am »

I have a server tucked away in a closet. It's on 24/7, but doesn't do any playing. In my living room I have a htpc and a laptop. These connect to the server whenever I want to play music,films or browse my pictures. This, of course, using MC's library server on the server. I also connect to the server from work for music. I like this setup because of noise, the physical size of the htpc and so fort. Tremote has no use in this scenario as it is now, because my server isn't connected to any speakers or monitors. What I would like to do is connect to my htpc from my laptop and using tremote to control it while the htpc is connected via library server to my 'closet' pc.

laptop  >     htpc    >   server
client    >    client   >  server

htpc >(tremote)>htpc>(library server)>server

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #162 on: December 16, 2009, 08:47:53 am »

If Tremote connects to the HTPC, it should be able to play the library of the MC running on the HTPC.  Look under "Playing Now" on the Tremote.

MC on your HTPC could also just import the server's files (using Windows networking) without running Library Server on the server.

llafriel

• World Citizen
« Reply #163 on: December 16, 2009, 09:13:23 am »

JimH... I'm very sorry! I've not tried it the last builds(I was able to connect before but it threw an error when trying to play). Anyway.. It now works. Thanks! I'm a very happy camper now!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #164 on: December 16, 2009, 09:15:20 am »

Good news!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #165 on: December 16, 2009, 10:57:14 am »

I have a server tucked away in a closet. It's on 24/7, but doesn't do any playing. In my living room I have a htpc and a laptop. These connect to the server whenever I want to play music,films or browse my pictures. This, of course, using MC's library server on the server. I also connect to the server from work for music. I like this setup because of noise, the physical size of the htpc and so fort. Tremote has no use in this scenario as it is now, because my server isn't connected to any speakers or monitors. What I would like to do is connect to my htpc from my laptop and using tremote to control it while the htpc is connected via library server to my 'closet' pc.

laptop  >     htpc    >   server
client    >    client   >  server

htpc >(tremote)>htpc>(library server)>server

This is an issue that I've had with Tremote and the Library Server as well.  I have a very similar system to yours.  My HTPC doesn't have any local media.  It is all served by a server downstairs in the basement.  Unless you run the Library Server on the machine that you want to control with your netbook/laptop/touchpad/etc, you have to choose between using the Library Server function and the Tremote function.

That said, accessing the Library (database files) over the network works fine.  If you put the library database files on the shared media drive on the server (via the File > Library > Library Manager tool), then any machines on the network can open it and use the "combined" MC library, and they'll all view the files exactly the same way.  The only issue is that only ONE machine can have read/write access to the library at one time, but this isn't a serious issue for me.  I'm generally not tagging files from multiple locations simultaneously! 

llafriel

• World Citizen
« Reply #166 on: December 16, 2009, 02:34:43 pm »

This is an issue that I've had with Tremote and the Library Server as well.  I have a very similar system to yours.  My HTPC doesn't have any local media.  It is all served by a server downstairs in the basement.  Unless you run the Library Server on the machine that you want to control with your netbook/laptop/touchpad/etc, you have to choose between using the Library Server function and the Tremote function.

But it's working now. Client to client is working. It didn't work with the first few builds of tremote, but it does now. Very nice!

HiFiTubes

« Reply #167 on: December 16, 2009, 02:53:50 pm »

I'd also like to be able to change display view on the server, or see Playing Now cover art/tracklist in Theater View.

I want to make an emphatic +1 vote for TJRobbins posts about making Tremote control more aspects of the server. I especially could use file deletion, but many of the other aspects he mentions are limitations I've specifically felt while using Tremote. Having originally used remote desktop to control the server, it does become apparent what Tremote cannot do. That said, I'm extremely grateful that Tremote exists at all. Currently I use remote desktop to do what Tremote can't, using Tremote for general playback and tagging.

Plus a question: can Library Sync be automated? Ideal would be that the libraries would sync up automatically, anytime there is a change at either the client or server side... or at least just have it run every x minutes.

And while I'm at it, a third easy question: can a Tremote MC client be launched by default with the Zone set to the server (ie. "There: Zone 1").

Cheers,
Shiraz

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #168 on: December 16, 2009, 03:24:50 pm »

But it's working now. Client to client is working. It didn't work with the first few builds of tremote, but it does now. Very nice!

I'll have to try this out.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #169 on: December 18, 2009, 06:12:19 pm »

The future Archos 9 looks promising for the Tremote! :

http://www.archos.com/products/nb/archos_9/index.html?country=us&lang=en
This is now available for $549.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #170 on: December 22, 2009, 12:05:49 am »

so i bought the eeepc and this my first time using theaterview with tremote.. and loving it!!!!

big question though, on netbook when connected to server, and on zone 1... meaning that im connected to library server and want to watch movies on the netbook not use it as a remote\there:zone1

all avi's mpgs play but none of my dvdbackups with extension. ifo play?  how do i get those files to play? those are the majority of my files and i'd love to be able to bring my laptop anywhere in the house network and be able to watch those files also.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: December 22, 2009, 06:52:30 am »

so i bought the eeepc and this my first time using theaterview with tremote.. and loving it!!!!

big question though, on netbook when connected to server, and on zone 1... meaning that im connected to library server and want to watch movies on the netbook not use it as a remote\there:zone1

all avi's mpgs play but none of my dvdbackups with extension. ifo play?  how do i get those files to play? those are the majority of my files and i'd love to be able to bring my laptop anywhere in the house network and be able to watch those files also.

Could you start a new thread for the question about video and Library Server?

Which eee?  The T1?  Touch screen?  How does it work?

HTPC4ME

« Reply #172 on: December 22, 2009, 11:17:19 am »

will do later this afternoon.

and i bought the eeepc 1000ah. not  a tablet just mini netbook. i will be returning it and buying the T91mt after testing the whole theaterview tremote thing. alot of potential.  the one i bought came with only 1GB memory, and i'll be getting the 2gb replacemment card tomm. so i want to test speeds with the ram upgrade. right now im happy quite happy with it overall. EXCEPT boot up times\ theaterview load times.. and im not sure if its a memory issue? or if my network isnt fast enough or if my library is just to big? what are the sizes of some of your guy's libraries when using library server? mine is 17.6MB. so when netbooks boots up ive tweakd services shut off all other proggies, turned screen black, autohid toolbar, and when she starts she connects to library, and takes about a minute to connect\load the library, then she brings me to theaterview... which isnt bad.  but i think the netbook is still working once its loaded cause the second i see the theaterview screen (audio, images, video, tv, dvd, connected, info exit..) and i move the keyboard directional keys to the right from audio to images. (this is with moving the highlighte and not even selecting images just moving to images) just hitting the arrow key one time. she locks up and takes a good 2 - 4 minutes before it allows you to move again. once that initial glitch is done though and if you dont reboot.. she runs flawlessly.  so once i get the new upgraded ram tomm. i will do more tests before returning this and going after the touchscreen T91mt...
Really hoping this startup thing i can workout...  cause if you think about it... 1. A remote never crashes, 2. we are using a windows based netbook-tablet we will have crashes. 3. when they crash the sooner the remote is available the better. and if one has to reconnect to library server on every crash and wait a total of 5-6 minutes before being abl to use remote. that is way to LONGGGG and could be the downfall from others thinking\saying...WOW WHAT A SWEET REMOTE to D$%m Thats cool, but the startup lag really sucks man.   oh and i ran these tests on wireless g network.. then  ran the tests on ethernet 100 connection. was considerably faster but its still talking a few minutes for loading of the library.

if any of you have any quicker jriver theaterview bootup tricks i'd love to test them.

another thing after playing with it last night. GF and BRO who is computer illiterate LOVES it but i could see the touchscreen is a MUST for novice users. when they want to go back they could use touchscreen to go back. instead of backspace, or havign to mouse.. it will really make it easier for them.
for me... it will take some getting use to controlling the bigscreen without see'n what i'm doing on the bigscreeen, and realize that the big screen is not the remote, the tablet is the remote!  ive just been use to using remote desktop connection and seeing what im doing on the big screen as well as on my laptops.

any tips,suggestions, others testing info would be greatly appreciated!!!

HTPC4ME

« Reply #173 on: December 22, 2009, 08:43:39 pm »

ok new issue i can't figure out.. on the netbook im using. im connected to there zone 1 and a movie has come up where i can choose play movie or scene selction. the arrow keys dont work nor tab... and if i hit play nothing happens either how do you move around on dvd menu's in tremote?

is it possible to see mouse in tremote? or would that not be needed once your using a touchscreen?
ty

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #174 on: December 31, 2009, 11:05:08 am »

bump

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #175 on: January 04, 2010, 08:40:46 am »

Merv

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #176 on: January 05, 2010, 10:41:30 am »

Hi,

I've set up two pc's to test out MC and all is working and very stable, I've got Library Server working, but I have no idea how Tremote is enabled or works - do i need to download something ? has it been removed ? is there a guide / tutorial I can get ?

Any help for a complete noob welcome  ?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #177 on: January 05, 2010, 10:52:34 am »

The remote machine will appear as a zone in the local copy of MC.  It should show up under Playing Now.

Merv

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #178 on: January 05, 2010, 11:10:24 am »

All I have under Playing Now is Find CD and Artist Info (same on both pcs)

HTPC4ME

« Reply #179 on: January 05, 2010, 11:13:09 am »

HAVE YOU CONNECTED TO MAIN PC\ SERVER? GOTO FILE ON TOP CHOSE LIBRARY, CHOOSE SEARCH FOR LIBRARY SERVERS. IT WILL SEARCH FOR THEM. ONCE IT FINDS THE SERVER, IT WILL DOWNLOAD THE LIBRARY.. THEN YOU WILL SEE ON TOP TOOLBAR OF JRiver. THE SERVER YOU ARE CONNECTED TO. THEN CLICK ON PLAYING NOW. YOU SHOULD SEE ZONE :1 AND THERE: ZONE 1 ( I THINK IT'S CALLED) I CANT REMEBER I SOLD MY NETBOOK. SO NO WAY TO TEST FOR YOU NOW)

SORRY BOUT CAPS.

Merv

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #180 on: January 05, 2010, 02:57:12 pm »

Thanks xtacbyme ! that was it :)...now to have a play & see what it can do.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #181 on: January 05, 2010, 02:58:59 pm »

out of curiosity what you connecting to server with? a netbook? or laptop? whats the machine your connecting with specs? proccessor? ram? wireless? ethernet? 100 base or 1000?

TY

Merv

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #182 on: January 06, 2010, 09:46:16 am »

Thanks for the help -  at the moment I'm using a trial version of MC on Vista Ultimat PC Athlon FX-55 2.6 Ghz, 2Gb ram and  Windows XP Pro on a  Mac Mini Bootcamp 1.8 Core 2 Duo 2 Gb ram. From testing Tremote would make a great feature for a touch screen tablet, one noticable downside is the time taken to download the database from the server - would it not be possible to keep a copy of the database on the client & update it on connection ?

HTPC4ME

« Reply #183 on: January 06, 2010, 09:52:39 am »

you downloading database with wifi? or ethernet? 100 ethernet? or 1000?

TY

Merv

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #184 on: January 06, 2010, 10:14:53 am »

ethernet 100 at the moment, but for the real thing  - a touchscreen tablet it would need to be wifi

fhl

• Recent member
« Reply #185 on: January 06, 2010, 12:57:13 pm »

If I buy the MC Remote and connects it to the remote pc, is it then possible to control the volume on the HTPC with the remote?

Frode

HTPC4ME

« Reply #186 on: January 06, 2010, 01:36:17 pm »

yeah i tried a netbook with wifi wirelessn, and ethernet connection.. not sure if the netbook couldnt handle the large library or what but i returned both netbooks, am going with a logitech dinovo mini for now. and then eventually just going to wire in a touchscreen monitor into living room\theater area. so the library shows up instantly. only thing i can think of that will work.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #187 on: January 06, 2010, 02:18:03 pm »

one of these may do the trick for some?  if you have  a way to hardwire it in\ hide cables - I'm A little leary about quality though

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-8-Inch-Stand-Monitor-VGA-Touch-Screen-LCD-For-Car-PC_W0QQitemZ160388230662QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2557e22e06

Merv

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #188 on: January 06, 2010, 02:39:34 pm »

And hardwire the monitor from your HTPC ? Know what you mean about quality !

HTPC4ME

« Reply #189 on: January 06, 2010, 02:49:19 pm »

yeah.. i use to work for corporate presentations here in mn and we use to do high end. 600,000 - millions dollar conference rooms, high end theater stuff. and 90% of the remotes were tablet type, touch, amx\panga(EXPENSIVE - Back Then).. but if i knew quality was good on one of these. just hardwire it into table, could even have it  Automated to raise remote - tablet out of table.  Speed would be instant (cause it's connected directly to HTPC) only downfall is it would not be able to be moved from couch to couch, outside etc...  unless maybe i look for a touch screen monitor that has vga inputs on it and also wifi ability... so that when outside\ or in other rooms one could just unsnap\remove the touchscreen, remove vga cable and it could be used as a wifi for remote desktop yes it would be slower when disconnected but it would still give you the ability to see the jriver interface anywhere you are in the wifi area.

I Dunno. I finally bought my htpc, waiting for it to arrive. and will see how i like the logitech mini. but im sure i will be upgrading that soon. i just love the touch idea.

Merv

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #190 on: January 06, 2010, 02:57:43 pm »

You need something with a dock (dont know if it exists) hardwired on dock / wifi when held

HTPC4ME

« Reply #191 on: January 06, 2010, 03:26:29 pm »

yuppers.. and not ALOT of money!

fhl

• Recent member
« Reply #192 on: January 08, 2010, 05:01:17 am »

Anyone knows?

Frode

If I buy the MC Remote and connects it to the remote pc, is it then possible to control the volume on the HTPC with the remote?

Frode

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: January 08, 2010, 07:36:49 am »

Yes.  It's possible to do.  You use one of the e-mitters included in the Media Center Remote Kit:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Media_Center_Remote

YannisA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #194 on: January 09, 2010, 03:54:30 pm »

If Tremote connects to the HTPC, it should be able to play the library of the MC running on the HTPC.  Look under "Playing Now" on the Tremote.

MC on your HTPC could also just import the server's files (using Windows networking) without running Library Server on the server.

This means that
1. I'll have to run library server, on the HTPC and connect to it's library from the netbook. Correct?
2. The library wont be 24/7 available, as not served from the (24/7 on) server PC.

So, "llafriel", how did you settle with this? I copy your setup below, which identical to mine.

"I have a server tucked away in a closet. It's on 24/7, but doesn't do any playing. In my living room I have a htpc and a laptop. These connect to the server whenever I want to play music,films or browse my pictures. This, of course, using MC's library server on the server. I also connect to the server from work for music. I like this setup because of noise, the physical size of the htpc and so fort. Tremote has no use in this scenario as it is now, because my server isn't connected to any speakers or monitors. What I would like to do is connect to my htpc from my laptop and using tremote to control it while the htpc is connected via library server to my 'closet' pc."

Merv

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #195 on: January 13, 2010, 03:03:29 pm »

I intend to get a tablet pc in the near future to act as a remote for MC, but could someone give me some idea as to what can and cant be done with touch screens & MC, the main thoughts I've got are:

Asuming both machines are running Windows 7,

1/Does the Tablet PC (remote) have to run the Obsidian Touchscreen skin ? and does the HTPC also have to run the Obsidian Touchscreen skin ?

2/Can you run different skins on both machines ?

3/Can you control the Tablet PC by touch using Standard View ?

Thanks  :)

HTPC4ME

« Reply #196 on: January 13, 2010, 03:10:45 pm »

i had bought the asus t91mt touch screen. and its independent. meaning anything you can do with mouse you can do with your finger. any skin, and yes it works in theaterview. and yes you can have diffrent skins... basically from what i played around with when i had it it was just like having  amouse hooked up to it. hope that helps.

Merv

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #197 on: January 13, 2010, 04:24:39 pm »

Thanks thats useful info, thought there might be some limits to what would work together.

I think one limitation maybe the slow proccessor used in these touch screen tablet PCs when it comes to loading the database from the main machine, but I guess once loaded, if you leave it switched on ...?

HTPC4ME

« Reply #198 on: January 13, 2010, 04:29:06 pm »

not sure. all i know is i tested it, tweaked it to the max. and was slow as heck.. returned it and now in search of perfect remote.

Merv

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #199 on: January 13, 2010, 04:32:36 pm »

xptunes works quite well on iphone / ipod if you dont mind the small screen
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up