INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issues with playing ripping - not an MC problem  (Read 1138 times)

JimB

• Recent member
Issues with playing ripping - not an MC problem
« on: June 13, 2009, 07:08:50 pm »

I'm asking whether somebody can help me with an issue I have to do with ripping from a set of CDs I have. I apologise for this not being a specifically MC issue, but I can't find an answer anywhere and since people here have superlative taste and knowledge :) it seems that maybe some suggestions could be made.

I have a set of classical CD's (Mahler/Bernstein) and, in each CD, new track numbers occur in the middle of movements. For one CD, for example, there are 5 continuous movements but 19 tracks.

If I play the CD on a "standard" CD player, the one attached to our stereo set, there is no audible transition between the tracks, as should be be the case; the music flows continuously. But if I play the CD on my computer, or rip them, little gaps are heard and some music is lost.

This occurs on two computers I've tried, both with different hardware CD/DVD players. It occurs whether I am using MC or WMP. It occurs on any setting I've tried for "gaps" or format. It occurs during playback or after ripping.

I would be grateful for any suggestions as to what could be causing this problem and any possible solutions.

Thank you.

Jim B.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Issues with playing ripping - not an MC problem
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 01:46:06 am »

I use Flac for my library files.  I know that I get gapless playback in MC with the right settings.  (I don't use MP3 files by choice and when I do, I combine tracks that should play continuously in MC or an iPod.)

In MC, be sure that you check "Use gapless for sequential tracks" in the Tools/Options/Playback dialog.

Leave the preceding option "Do not play silence..." unchecked.

For a format like Flac, this produces continuous sound when there is no gap and preserves gaps between tracks.

Bill

Pages: [1]   Go Up