INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Updating Tags  (Read 3329 times)

Nicholas T

• Junior Woodchuck
Updating Tags
« on: June 13, 2009, 09:51:37 pm »

Hi,

When I use the tag window to update tags (esp composer) is MC13 updating ID3v.1, id3V.2 or the MC13 database?

Thanks,
Nicholas
LGV40, Samsung Tab S7+ & Sony WH1000XM4 = some peace in the chaos.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Updating Tags
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 06:33:58 am »

MC always updates its database and by default also the file tags if adding metadata to the files is supported with the used file format. MC allows to adjust the behavior. File tagging can be disabled completely or only for specific fields.

The ID3v1 and ID3v2 tag formats are used only with MP3 audio files. By default MC writes both versions (also this can be adjusted). The older v.1 supports only certain basic tags. The v.2 supports various standardized tags and an unlimited amount of user defined tags. The composer tag is one of the standard ID3v2 tags and it will be updated by default.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

ayoob

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 12:15:35 pm »

I'm updating a bunch of files now.  As I go through and update something like a track number, it takes MC13 several minutes to update the tag.  I did a couple albums today, and now the queue is 145 items long and has been chugging away for hours now.  It's eating up 8-70% of my processor for hours and hours at a time.

Something's wrong.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 12:36:44 pm »

I'm updating a bunch of files now.  As I go through and update something like a track number, it takes MC13 several minutes to update the tag.  I did a couple albums today, and now the queue is 145 items long and has been chugging away for hours now.  It's eating up 8-70% of my processor for hours and hours at a time.
Not normal.

A network drive?  Virus checker?

ayoob

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 03:50:39 pm »

I turned off my virus software and Online Armor, took the external drive off the hub and plugged it directly into my computer, and updated the tags from the library about 20 minutes ago.  588 files.  It roared through the first 60 or so, and now it ticks through one file every five minutes or so.  It's just crawling, and sucking up the processor on my computer up to 70-80% at times.  Mostly it's 8-30%.

ayoob

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 03:58:36 pm »

I just cancelled the 588 file update and just picked one 20-track album.  It ripped right through the first fifteen and hung on the 16th.  I cancelled and counted forward 16 files and just updated that one, Library from Tags.  It took a couple of minutes, but it finally went through.  Same with #17.  Then the rest as a batch, none of which hung.

Then I went back and selected all 20 of the same tracks again and updated Library from Tags again, and this time it was almost instantaneous for all 20 tracks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 04:04:27 pm »

Virus checker or something similar.  It's not MC.

Nicholas T

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 01:56:32 am »

MC always updates its database and by default also the file tags if adding metadata to the files is supported with the used file format. MC allows to adjust the behavior. File tagging can be disabled completely or only for specific fields.

The ID3v1 and ID3v2 tag formats are used only with MP3 audio files. By default MC writes both versions (also this can be adjusted). The older v.1 supports only certain basic tags. The v.2 supports various standardized tags and an unlimited amount of user defined tags. The composer tag is one of the standard ID3v2 tags and it will be updated by default.

Thanks for the info Alex.  How do I know if my mp3's use id3 v.1 or v.2?  Does MC13 show this somewhere?

Cheers,
Nicholas
LGV40, Samsung Tab S7+ & Sony WH1000XM4 = some peace in the chaos.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 05:05:12 am »

ayoob,

I just tagged a mixture of 388 FLAC and MP3 files in 12 seconds on an older PC (Athlon XP 3200+, a local, almost full 300 GB sata drive). The files contained padding area that reserves some empty space for tag changes so there was no need to rewrite the files even though these file formats store tags in the beginning of the files (Vorbis/FLAC comments and ID3v2).

By default MC includes some padding when the files are created or tagged for the first time. Small textual tag changes should be almost immediate. A worst case scenario could be embedding high resolution cover art to big FLAC files through a slowish old wireless LAN. The padding area is only a a few kilobytes so a complete rewrite would be needed. For instance, if the file size is 50 MB and the actual practically achievable network bandwidth is about 5 mbps (= 625 KB/s) tagging would probably take about 3 minutes (read 80 s + write 80 s + some additional time for local file operations, network congestion, etc).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 05:29:21 am »

Thanks for the info Alex.  How do I know if my mp3's use id3 v.1 or v.2?  Does MC13 show this somewhere?

You can select a file and click the very first text line in the "Action Window > Tag" to open the "detailed format info" window. It shows a direct tag dump from the file.

Here is an example of the displayed info:

Code: [Select]
MPEG-1 Layer 3
256 Kbit VBR
44.1 Khz Joint stereo

Copyrighted: No
Original: Yes
Protected by CRC: No
Encoder: LAME
Gapless: Yes (576 start, 1428 end)

ID3v1 Tag: (128 bytes)
   Name: All Along The Watchtower
   Artist: Eddie Vedder & The Million Dol
   Album: I'm Not There
   Year: 2007
   Comment: Disc 1
   Track #: 1
   Genre: Soundtrack (24)

ID3v2.3 Tag: (2953 bytes)
  TALB (Album): I'm Not There
  TPE1 (Artist): Eddie Vedder & The Million Dollar Bashers
  TPE2 (Album Artist): Various Artists
  TBPM (BPM): 125
  COMM (Comment): Disc 1
  TPOS (Disc #): 1/2
  TSSE (Encoding Settings): LAME 3.98.2 -V1
  TCON (Genre): Soundtrack
  TIT2 (Name): All Along The Watchtower
  TRCK (Track #): 1/16
  TYER (Year): 2007
  TXXX (ALBUM ARTIST): Various Artists
  TXXX (INTENSITY): 5
  TXXX (replaygain_track_g..): -9.42 dB
  TXXX (replaygain_track_p..): 0.985740
  TXXX (replaygain_album_g..): -7.71 dB
  TXXX (replaygain_album_p..): 0.985740
  TXXX (TOOL NAME): Media Center
  TXXX (TOOL VERSION): 13.0.112

You can adjust the ID3 tagging behavior in Tools > Plug-in Manager > Input > MP3 Plugin > Configure, but the default settings should be fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up