INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Artist (or album)...  (Read 3951 times)

abound

Random Artist (or album)...
« on: June 19, 2009, 11:39:12 am »

I'm looking for a way to have MJ suggest a random artist or album. I don't want to create a random play list.
Ideally I would press a button that would suggest a random artist or album, if I didn't feel like listening to that artist (or album) I would press it again. When I liked the selection I would have MJ play that artist (or album).

Does anyone have any suggestions, or know of a plugin that can do this type of thing?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Random Artist (or album)...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 12:42:10 pm »

JRiver Media Center has a "Play as Radio" feature that is similar.  You can also "seed" it with a track.  It learns from what you skip.

abound

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 03:17:36 pm »

Not really what I was aiming for... My problem is that I have a large amount of music and often can't think of what to play. I want something that will randomly remind me what I have so that I don't keep playing the same old stuff.

gappie

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 03:55:04 pm »

Not really what I was aiming for... My problem is that I have a large amount of music and often can't think of what to play. I want something that will randomly remind me what I have so that I don't keep playing the same old stuff.
i think there are several ways to do that in mc. or it is a bit how i use it. but you have to make smartlists for that.. are you using a remote?

but any way. for album make a smart list like (edit smart list>import/export):
[Media Type]=[Audio] ~sort=Random ~limit=1,1,[album],[album artist (auto)] ~a

this gives you a random album when ever you click refresh.. now you can make that a bit more interesting by adding rules like not skipped in the last 2 weeks, not played in the lst few weeks.. and yoiu could put that under a remote button, or with a batch file under a keyboard shortcut..

this is just to give an idea.. but you have more options.

when you need help be a bit more specific and playaround. there are enough fun ways to reexperience your collection  ;) lol.

:)gab

ak7

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 03:18:42 am »

hi gappie

love those rules for finding a random album to play. is there something i could add to them so that jukebox only chooses from albums that have more than, say, four tracks? (because sometimes that smart playlist will just give you just a single track if you only have one track from the particular album in your library)

gappie

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 03:59:00 am »

hi gappie

love those rules for finding a random album to play. is there something i could add to them so that jukebox only chooses from albums that have more than, say, four tracks? (because sometimes that smart playlist will just give you just a single track if you only have one track from the particular album in your library)
one thing you could look at is the 'complete album' tag, and use that. but if that works depends a bit on how 'well' your library is organized. you could make a smartlist to see which files mc/mj sees as complete albums and which not.

to leave out albums with only 3 tracks is a bit more complicated. one thing i could think of is make a smartlist with the rule:
[Media Type]=[Audio] ~limit=-1,3,[Album],[Album Artist (auto)]
this rule picks 3 tracks from an album. give it a name like 3TrackAlbums.
now in the random album smartlists add the rule : playlists - is not any - 3TrackAlbums

:)
gab

ak7

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 04:21:41 am »

to leave out albums with only 3 tracks is a bit more complicated. one thing i could think of is make a smartlist with the rule:
[Media Type]=[Audio] ~limit=-1,3,[Album],[Album Artist (auto)]
this rule picks 3 tracks from an album. give it a name like 3TrackAlbums.
now in the random album smartlists add the rule : playlists - is not any - 3TrackAlbums

hey cool, that seems to work. nicely done. thanks  :)

MtnBeachBum

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 02:31:56 am »

Is it possible to edit the way Radio plays with MJ12? I have seen some posts on the topic but they seem to be referring to MC. Just found this feature buried in MJ12, just started messing with it.

Thanks,

Teach

gappie

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 04:51:54 am »

Is it possible to edit the way Radio plays with MJ12? I have seen some posts on the topic but they seem to be referring to MC. Just found this feature buried in MJ12, just started messing with it.

Thanks,

Teach
i dont have mj installed, but how you can set it in mc 13 and 14 (and possebly in mc and mj 12) is going to toolbar, player>play radio. there will be a popup with an "edit radio files" button. here you can make a smartlist. you could for instance tell radio to only play high rated files. or let it referr to a smartlist or playlist in the playlist tree.

:)
gab

MtnBeachBum

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 12:42:39 pm »

Thanks Gap,

MJ12 doesn't have the play radio option, so I think that answers my question.

Teach
Pages: [1]   Go Up