INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EMusic and Me  (Read 744 times)

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
EMusic and Me
« on: July 12, 2002, 07:14:34 pm »

I finally bit the bullet and got the trial subscription to EMusic. 14 days or 50 downloads. It took approximately 24 hours in real time to download 50 MP3's. What I mean is that 24 hours ago I started. That's maybe 4 hours in on line time at this point.
Needless to say, I like it.

What they have got that p2p's don't is (1)BANDWIDTH and (2) GUARANTEED QUALITY.
OK, it's 128kbs but still sounds quite good. It's been said that no matter how many times an MP3 is "traded", it is "bit-perfect" every time. I don't believe it. These 128Kbs MP3's sound much, much better than some 160Kbs ones that, uh ... a friend of mine got off of a p2p site.
Straight from the source seems to make a difference. In my case anyway. No blips, squeals, pops, crackles, etc.
And did I mention the Bandwidth? Some songs were downloaded faster than I could pick another from the same album.

And Kudos to "Media Jukebox Download Manager". It has performed flawlessly, so far. Thank You.

I'm going to try an album or two because I have just given the go-ahead on the three month subscription. I would have gone for the year long at 2/3 of the cost per month but I suspect I'll need that money for a new hard drive before then. My 80 Gig and 14 Gig drives have all-of-the-sudden started looking woefully inadequate.

We must encourage those that "have the right idea" in music downloading. That would be good quality and fair use of the material in addition to the stated goal of artist compensation. If Universal's "experiment" works, and I feel that it will open some eyes, then we can expect to see more content (they've added some since yesterday). Even some more recent and better selling artists will start showing up.

There will still be a lot of folks that want the packaging and will buy the CD. For the others, there is very little overhead in electronic transfers of music past the initial startup costs. Certainly much less than manufacturing and distributing a physical CD.
That's my opinion. Everybody has one.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

Lucy

RE:EMusic and Me
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2002, 08:20:33 pm »

Hello C8!

It was the day after (1st July) I purchased Media Jukebox 8.0 that I started my Emusic trial.

I decided to subscribe to the 3-month plan after I downloaded 30 songs. If the traffic is good, I can download an album within 5 minutes!

My favourite Emusic albums so far are:
1. Babes in the Wood (by Mary Black)
2. Piano (George shearing)
3. Grand Piano (George Shearing)
4. Ballad Essentials (George Shearing)
5. An Elegant Evening (George Shearing |PLS| Mel Torm)
6. Chopin: Complete Nocturnes and Impromtus (by Peter Katin)
7. Quincy (by Quincy)

I hope Emusic can update their catalog more often.

Harry|PLS|The|PLS|Hipster

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2002, 02:33:41 am »

Lucy:

If you like jazz piano, then - as Starflyer stated in another thread - Emusic has a very complete selection of Bill Evans material.

HTH

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2002, 03:32:38 pm »

As for me, I am discovering many new and wonderful things, especially in the "Jazz" category.
Listening to: 'Watermelon Man' by 'Jimmy Smith' on Media Jukebox
I am also open to suggestions. Please.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up