INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA enabled TV and JRiver  (Read 2093 times)

ajocius

• Recent member
DLNA enabled TV and JRiver
« on: June 24, 2009, 05:13:39 pm »

I currently have JRiver 12, but, of course, ready to upgrade, if it is not to complicated with moving library. I have then thought of buying DLNA enables TV. Am I thinking right, that I will then be able to use JRiver, running on 24/7 PC and some control software like Promixis NetRemote or xptunes plug in to control my music library and then listen through my TV set??? Also view pictures? also video?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: DLNA enabled TV and JRiver
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 05:56:36 pm »

Maybe.  DLNA is closely related to UPnP.  The implementations are not all compatible.

Control would probably be done by using the TV remote.

Audio, video, and images should work.

It would be good to test before you buy.  This could be done on a notebook PC.

ajocius

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 02:18:39 am »

Good idea! But what do I do on that laptop in order to make it like DLNA enabled TV?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 06:46:08 am »

Try the link called "Servers" on this page.  It may explain what you want.

Please describe exactly what you expect to do.

ajocius

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 09:11:13 am »

ok, I do currently have a dedicated PC that runs MC12. I then use NetRemote to send comands to MC, as well as to AV Receiver on what zone to play music. So I have Source (PC running MC); Control (PDA Running NetRemote) and Sound Devices (Amp + Loudspeakers in different zones). What I ask is if I can use TV with DLNA as Sound Device. For example this TV:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=television&type=television&subtype=tftlcd&model_cd=LE46A856S1MXXU

So then I can be in a room where TV is, take my PDA, press a button, and music (or photos, or video) starts playing on TV (sourced from MC PC). Is it possible? I asking as DLNA is supposed to do exactly that. But I would not like to have to install some TV producer crappy software to manage library, hope MC can do the job.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 09:30:10 am »

You should probably study UPnP a little.  Here's the article at Wikipedia.

MC has a UPnP server.  In the formal UPnP terminology, this is a "Device".  Normally the other side of that is the "Renderer" (your TV in this case).  The renderer plays the content.  

There is a third piece, called a "Control Point".  This is often combined with the renderer.  In your case, the TV could both request content and play it.

I don't know if NetRemote could function as the control point.  You would need to check their site.  

ajocius

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 03:31:56 am »

Thank you very much!
Pages: [1]   Go Up