INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Install problems  (Read 1534 times)

carver188

• Recent member
Install problems
« on: June 24, 2009, 09:58:36 pm »

Hi... 

1.   I downloaded the latest MC 13.x.xxx?? upgrade a week or so ago...it popped up on my window when starting MC 13 on my dedicated Windows XP SP2 machine.  Now for the first time ever, I am getting blue screens when MC is open.  It is practically the only software on the machine and the internet is rarely connected (ie unplugged).  I have Avira AV, and MS Defender spyware.

Can I "undo" the recent upgrade and go back to where I was when things were running fine.  I am doing an XP System restore right now, but I dont think it goes back far enough...only 4 days ago and MC JRiver is not mentioned in any of the Sys Restores.

I do not have the MC "about" screen because I cant even get into MC now...it freezes and I have to hard shut down of the computer.

2.   Sys Restore is complete and I opened up MC 13 and it is 13.0.171.   NEARLY ALL of my playlists and ALL of my Smartlists (like 15 all together) are GONE/No where!!!!!!   All files (flacs, music only) seem to be there with proper tagging info, but no smartlists

3.  If this is a hardware issue (which I doubt), can I take this MC library (which is completely backed up on an external and internal hardrives) and restore it from Windows XP to a new Vista machine (via the backup hardrives) and have all of my smartlists and detailed taggin info on the Vista machine?

Please Help!

Thank you!!!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Install problems
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 06:52:11 am »

A blue screen is a hardware or driver problem.

What are you doing when it happens?  What part of the program.

You can restore any backup of your MC12 or MC13 library.  MC makes them automatically from time to time.

Try rebooting and reinstalling.

carver188

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 07:51:54 pm »

I'll defer to you that the blue screen is a hardware problem, but I contend that it started and has been doing it often after I downloaded the recent  update to MC 13, after working fine since reinstalling XP and MC 13 on this machine in Feb 2009.  I do have some buffering problems that we talked about a month or so ago, that have minimized, but not gone away.

Th BS happens randomly, usually when I am away from the computer.  MC is always on, and it either playing or paused or stopped.   Today, while it was playing, I clicked on Playing Now and windows gave me the shut down/error report - send or don't send.

How can I restore MC to the earlier update (while still retaining MC 13) of a few weeks ago. 

How do I get my smartlists back??

I dont want to reinstall MC unless necessary, of course.

Thank you...I'd like to get this fixed so I can get it off my list of things to do...this was not one of them...

Thanks!

carver188

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 03:25:35 pm »

Hi...just a reminder about this for an answer above. 
I just got another blue screen while playing.  MC was paused overnight, and pressing play caused a blue screen a couple minutes later.

Also, can MC on an XP machine be exactly copied/restored (tag info, playlists, etc) onto a Vista machine without difficulty?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 06:20:43 pm »

How can I restore MC to the earlier update (while still retaining MC 13) of a few weeks ago. 

How do I get my smartlists back??
You can restore any backup of your MC12 or MC13 library.  MC makes them automatically from time to time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up