INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A curious problem [ATI Related]  (Read 2152 times)

Siafu11

• Recent member
A curious problem [ATI Related]
« on: June 25, 2009, 08:18:59 am »

Before I get into the actual error, let me describe my current setup. I am runing XP Pro, SP2, 32 bit. I am using a Sapphire HD 4830 with the latest (9.6) Catalyst software. My PC is connected to two displays, a 40 inch TV via hdmi and a 15 inch LCD connected via a DVI to Dsub cable. I mainly just use the LCD, and switch to the TV for movies. Now then, on to the problem...

What happens is this. I am playing music through MC 13 and decide to turn on my TV. The TV is detected by the driver (even though I have the auto-detect option turned off...), causing the LCD to flicker a few times. This after the flicker, the music playing through MC 13 stops. Not stops as though I hit the stop button, just...quits. The countdown timer quits, the music quits playing but there is still a "pause" button displayed in standard view as though it were still playing. To get the song to play again, I have to hit stop and then play.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.[/quote]

Anyone else experience this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: A curious problem [ATI Related]
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 08:25:00 am »

No idea what that is.  MC has logging under the Help menu.  Can you see anything there?

I've never done it, but I know that some video cards can route the sound out over HDMI.  Is that the case here?  Is there a cable needed to connect the motherboard to the video card?  If so, pull it (as a test).

Siafu11

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 12:11:34 pm »

The video card does pipe audio through the HDMI, but no cable is needed/used between the motherboard and video card. When I first hooked up the TV, MC defaulted to the HDMI audio. I changed it back to digital SPDIF and I don't think it has changed back to HDMI since. I will check out The MC logging tonight. Thanks!

Daydream

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 02:51:44 pm »

Do you have any other sound card besides the audio feature on the video card? If not, and if your video card is connected directly to the TV (as opposed to being connected to a receiver that is connected to the TV), on what are you listening to music when the TV is off?

Siafu11

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 09:23:58 pm »

Do you have any other sound card besides the audio feature on the video card? If not, and if your video card is connected directly to the TV (as opposed to being connected to a receiver that is connected to the TV), on what are you listening to music when the TV is off?
Sound is normally coming from the onboard motherboard chip, a realtec ALC889A. I am not entirely sure if the ATI cards use a propietary chip or third party vendor. When the TV is off sound comes out of the optical spdif from the realtec chip. Even when the TV is on, the sound should be streamed through the spdif, that is what I set MC 13 to use. The spdif is connected to a harmon kardon receiver.

The next post(s) has the log file (yea, it's big). The only thing I turned off in the logger was podcasts. This is exactly what I did:
TV was off (actually, the receiver was off at this point too, but that doesn't seem to matter as far as the error goes), cleared the log file, closed the logging window, hit play, and turned the TV on. No other buttons were pressed or actions performed aside from me copying the log file to a thumb drive.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 07:02:42 am »

I removed the Windows log files to make this thread readable.  They don't help.

I'm guessing that sound is routed to your TV instead of your amp when you turn it on.  I believe that HDMI can do that.  Check the settings for the TV and for the amp.
Pages: [1]   Go Up