INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up a classical music database  (Read 2920 times)

globetrotters1

• Citizen of the Universe
Setting up a classical music database
« on: June 30, 2009, 06:39:35 pm »

I think this thread isn't necessary anymore

globetrotters1

Re: Setting up a classical music database
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 06:42:57 pm »

dito

globetrotters1

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 06:59:40 pm »

dito

globetrotters1

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 07:04:45 pm »

dito

globetrotters1

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 07:14:51 pm »

dito

globetrotters1

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 07:29:57 pm »

dito

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 08:28:06 pm »

Do you do anything special for classical CDs that have index marks?  I have some classical CDs with index marks for different movements rather than different tracks for each movement.  That is fine for CD players that support index marks, but for computer playback it doesn't work so well.

What I've been doing for selected CDs is rip to a CUE file and then use Medieval CUE Splitter to split the CUE file at the index marks.  Then I import the split files to my library.

I don't do CUE files in my library, I have everything as individual tracks.  I do keep a few selected CUE files as an archive and backup.

globetrotters1

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 08:33:36 pm »

Frobozz,

you described it the same way I do it, also over CUE sheets. And I also store only separate tracks. I only use Foobar2000 to split the file into separate tracks.

From friends I got some bootleg concert recordings which are all in one piece. That is impossible to take apart except you create a CUE sheet yourself. Those I leave as one piece. Doesn't hurt that much. But of course isn't perfect. I agree

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 01:38:09 am »

This is a truly excellent post - thanks for sharing it with us. Have you considered adding it to the wiki?

I like how your fields are clearly (and quite strictly) defined... I'll definitely be stealing a few of your ideas ;) Can you recommend any good "Ancient" era albums? That and medieval are both rather deficient in my library!

Look forward to the screens :)

globetrotters1

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 11:49:05 am »

Darichman,

thanks for the nice comment. Adding it to a Wiki would be a decision by someone of JRiver I suppose. I never did it, so I don't know how, which rules to follow and so on. Better it would be done by someone with the proper experience.

Ancient CDs are not many available. Right now after ripping like close to 5'000 classical CDs I have poor 7 in my database. I can send you the list to your mailbox if you want.

Medieval CDs are not so uncommon. My album count of that era stands at 292 right now.

I have still around 7'000 CDs to rip. I can tell you final numbers probably within a year or so :)

Let me work on the screenshots, pretty complicated and I also have to upload them to a server I suppose. Doesn't happen all in a day.

Nicholas T

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 06:17:30 am »

I can't comprehend how you managed to purchase that many CD's and then intend to rip them all?  Are you crazy man?  I have 300-400  CD's in my predominantly classical collection and that took me ages to purchase and rip. 
LGV40, Samsung Tab S7+ & Sony WH1000XM4 = some peace in the chaos.

Alexx

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Now I feel wonderful!
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 08:10:05 am »

I can't comprehend how you managed to purchase that many CD's and then intend to rip them all? 

It would take several lifetimes to even listen to that much music....

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 08:28:07 am »

wow, 240,000 tracks?, I thought my collection of 15,000 rock/pop tracks was kind of impressive.

I have track envy!  ::)

TC

globetrotters1

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 11:56:31 am »

no envy necessary - music is an important part of our life, especially classical music - wife studied at the conservatory, plays different instruments, does also public performances and a lot of the music in our collection is for review, reference and comparative work

besides, we have many guests who often prefer to listen to music we try to avoid (because not our taste)

tried to post the screen shots - sorry for the delay - I'm working on them, have to create the views again, as they are silently gone... but no worries, soon soon soon :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up