INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange zone issue - losing settings  (Read 1389 times)

simonmason

• World Citizen
Strange zone issue - losing settings
« on: July 01, 2009, 12:36:30 pm »

I have three sound cards and onboard audio within my media server.  I am using each of the sound cards to drive a zone on my system - one zone per sound card (not multiple zones using different channels).  I noticed that occasionally (I think when I reboot) some of the assignment of the zones to the specific sound cards gets lost.  For example, I rebooted yesterday and this happened.  I went into zone manager and checked the zone in question and the drop-down box where you select the sound card was blank.  I had to re-select the appropriate sound card and save the settings.  Bug or quirk?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Strange zone issue - losing settings
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 12:55:02 pm »

If your soundcards are changing their IDs for some reason, perhaps this could happen?  You might try updated drivers.

Also, each playback method (ASIO, WASAPI, etc.) uses a little different ID mechanism, so you could try another playback method.

A few years ago, Windows would switch my default sound card every boot.  This sounds a little similar, and I never figured out why it happened.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

simonmason

• World Citizen
Re: Strange zone issue - losing settings
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 01:09:39 pm »

Everything was fine on my media server until it took a lightning hit (through a UPS!) and fried the board.  I rebuilt the server using a new system board but exact same sound cards (with the exception of the onboard audio which of course was new).  Since then it seems to have occasional amnesia.  I used the same hard drive as before with the same copy of windows (obviously it reinstalled certain drivers to support the new system board).  But it appears that the new hardware combination has introduced this issue.  I can only assume that this is something that is beyond my control and therefore I have mapped out the Zones to Sound cards and recorded this on paper so I can recreate on reboot!
Pages: [1]   Go Up