INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Standard Smartlist Columns  (Read 1595 times)

taklamakan

• Recent member
Standard Smartlist Columns
« on: July 05, 2009, 03:46:40 pm »

Is there a way to change which columns are displayed by default when creating a new smartlist?  I tried editing the main Audio view, but that didn't have an effect on new smartlists.

I have just imported my long standing, lovingly-crafted MJ12 library into MC13.  All of my many dozens of smartlists have reverted back to default columns.  That's a pretty shocking experience.  I'm still debating whether to move ahead with MC13.  I imagine the loss of the customized columns is not reversible and I'll have to go into each list overtime and add/remove columns.   But how about customizing columns for new smartlists?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Standard Smartlist Columns
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 04:39:43 pm »

If you create a playlist group, child playlists inherit view settings from the group until you manually change them.

View settings are part of the library in v13, so included in library backups.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

taklamakan

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 05:26:07 pm »

Thank you for the tip about playlist groups. That works fine.

Based on your second line I figured I had messed up by new MC13 library, so I created a new one, then restored from my MJ12 backup and still find that existing smartlists have reverted to default columns.  Can you think of anything I might be doing wrong that would cause that?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 05:28:51 pm »

Thank you for the tip about playlist groups. That works fine.

Based on your second line I figured I had messed up by new MC13 library, so I created a new one, then restored from my MJ12 backup and still find that existing smartlists have reverted to default columns.  Can you think of anything I might be doing wrong that would cause that?

I think v12 and earlier store view settings in the registry.  The change to storage in the library is why you need to recreate your columns.  Sorry for the hassle.

If you use presets (you can save and load them for sorting, columns, etc.) it may save you some time.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

taklamakan

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 05:45:57 pm »

Presets?  Oh man. I have just educated myself about them and they solve all kinds of tedious chores I've been doing manually all these years.  They also ameliorate the present situation. Thanks a lot.  Someone needs to write an O'Reilly book for MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up