INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bug: or unintended "feature" of resetting Amazon download folder  (Read 1470 times)

trhunnicutt

• Recent member

Looks like MC automagically resets the 'download folder' for the AmazonMP3 Downloader application every time the general "File Location" folder is changed from within MC.

This is either a bug, or an "unintended feature", and caused me to unintentionally delete several purchased files from Amazon until I figured out what was going on.

The challenge or problem is that MC doesn't notify the user at any step that such a change is taking place.  For those of us who may use several media programs, and purchase our Amazon MP3s directly through Firefox, this causes unintended problems.

For instance, I set my download location from the AmazonMP3 Downloader folder to be "Amazon MP3" in my music folder.  I have a different folder for personally ripped or converted files.

When I am testing the impact of various enocders or settings, I change the file location within MC so that files are not overwritten and are cataloged in an appropriate folder (i.e. CBR 320, VBR, CBR 256, secure, etc).

Since MC didn't notify me that it breaks Human Interface Guidelines and changes another program's option settings, when I purchased some files, they were downloaded into one of those test folders.

Since they show up in MC due to Auto-Import in the background, there's no knowledge of where they are located.  Which causes surprise, confusion, and frustration when I deleted the test conversion folders, which then permanently deleted my purchased files.

May I humbly recommend that you either provide a check-box to request permission for MC to reset the download folder setting for an outside application, or to refrain from doing so?

TR

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Bug: or unintended "feature" of resetting Amazon download folder
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 11:24:21 am »

Sorry about your deleted files, but I don't believe MC changes Amazon's settings. 

trhunnicutt

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 11:30:29 am »

Jim,

Unfortunately, I believe that it does... for the simple reason that I have never selected one of the MC created folders from within the Amazon Downloaders Preferences window, yet when I went to check what was going on, one of the MC test folder was the selected location within the Amazon app, and that was where the last download took place.

My 'Amazon MP3' folder and location never changed.

Could it be that some other setting is changed, like a default windows folder location, or something, that the Amazon Downloader app may be looking at?  Especially when the Amazon app is being installed or re-installed or updated, which causes the location that was selected from within the Amazon app to be changed?

All I know is that it has happened a few times in the past, and this was the first time that it ended up costing me some purchased files.

I can live with a couple of files, but I'd hate to see this happen to someone else with a larger purchase.

trhunnicutt

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 12:34:38 pm »

Jim,

After your reply, I ran a test.

The result -- MC does in fact change the Amazon download folder.

It does so when you select the Amazon service from within MC.

Not sure if it does so when you preview audio files or not, but the end result is the same.

The folder specified within the Amazon download app is automagically, and invisibly, changed to the location specified from within MC without a request or notification from the user.

TR

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 01:33:48 pm »

This will be fixed in an upcoming build.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

trhunnicutt

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 06:33:04 pm »

Bumping this because it happened again.

MC changed the folder behind the scenes either on a clean re-install of the latest build (14.050), or when I traveled to the Amazon.com/MP3 page from within the MC application.

Pages: [1]   Go Up