INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video playback problem  (Read 1084 times)

nuke2000

Video playback problem
« on: August 22, 2009, 08:45:46 am »

Hi there

Does anyone else use MC14 theatre view to play video playlists and get the error i noted in this thread some time ago? http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51751.0

Seems present on all OS's as I have tried x86 and x64 versions of XP, Vista and 7 - all giving this problem at seemingly ramdom times using both MC13 & now 14. It always happens when next file in the playlist starts (never part way through playback of any file) - could happen 5 mins in to the playlist could be 1 hour and is never specific to a file/s.

I do not encounter any problems with Windows Media Centre (apart from i don't like it that much!) or other players so seems specific to MC in Theatre View mode playing video playlists. Of course if i set MC not to use EVR the problem goes away but EVR is superior IMO so want to get to the root of the problem.

Could be hardware related but seems unlikely. Is not codec related as have had this problem even with fresh installs with no additional codecs installed

Could someone (probably with a music vid collection) try to replicate by setting up a fairly large playlist of videos in theatre view (preferably mpg) and leaving it running for a while.

It wouldn't be such a problem but to have MC stop and tell me 'EVR cannot be loaded, VMR will be used', wait for a response from me, then crash out is obviously irritating. If it want's to use VMR instead, then just do it ;-)

Thanks fo your help

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Video playback problem
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 08:51:35 am »

Could be hardware related but seems unlikely. Is not codec related as have had this problem even with fresh installs with no additional codecs installed
You may not have the codecs needed from a fresh install.

Try to narrow down which videos cause problems.

Did you try updating DirectX from Micosoft?  Even if the version number is the same it is worth trying.

In your previous thread, Matt suggested updating your video drivers.  Did you do that?

Installing CCCP often solves problems like this.  See the DirectShow entry in our wiki (link above).

nuke2000

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 10:41:07 am »

Hi Jim and thanks for the reply.

Codecs aren't the issue. As i said the problem is evident with standard mpg's and cannot be narrowed down to certain files as the same files play witout issue on some occasions and cause the error on other occasions. In any case, codecs installed, codecs not installed the problem persists. I have not used CCCP before as have always been a fan of shark007's codecs (altough i don't use them anymore) but will give it a go. I am reluctant to install uneccessary codecs as those with win 7 do a pretty good job and play 95% of my video files.

Video drivers were the first suspect but i have had the problem with every driver release for the past 5 months or more - currently using the latest from nvidia.

I have not updated direct x as the issue is present with fresh installs of xp sp3, xp x64 sp2, vista x64 & x86 and now win 7 x64 & x86 with only windows updates installed and necessary drivers.

It is a bit of a mystery but if no one else manages to recreate the problem i guess there must be something specific to my PC

Cheers

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 10:57:15 am »

I have not updated direct x as the issue is present with fresh installs of xp sp3, xp x64 sp2, vista x64 & x86 and now win 7 x64 & x86 with only windows updates installed and necessary drivers.
It solved a Theater View crash for me on a new Sony notebook a few months ago.

If all of those installes are on the same video hardware, it would be worth swapping hardware to test. 

I don't think this is an MC problem, in spite of how it looks at the moment. 

Try a google search for similar problems with Nvidia.
Pages: [1]   Go Up