INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Emusic and Universal  (Read 2840 times)

elpaolo

• World Citizen
Emusic and Universal
« on: July 09, 2002, 12:33:21 pm »

Emusic community...did you see this?

http://www.msnbc.com/news/777912.asp

Anyone have any idea when this might hit the web?  I can't find any albums yet.  Man, I wish they had a new page on their site for recent happenings.  It stinks getting news about the company from another party...

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
RE:Emusic and Universal
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2002, 12:38:52 pm »

Ok, but at what format, if it is a secure file they can keep it.

if it is maybe a MP3, i might need to buy 2 more firewire drives so i can download there 130,000 files they will put up for download.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

elpaolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2002, 12:46:18 pm »

King,

Do you already have the entire emusic catalog on disk at home?!

elpaolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2002, 12:47:26 pm »

whow!!!  I just refreshed the new additions page and voila....it's starting....

Harry|PLS|The|PLS|Hipster

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2002, 12:54:37 pm »

Thanks for picking up on that. Here's another link from the NYT:  http://www.nytimes.com/cnet/CNET_2100-1023-942529.html

They're providing about 10% of their catalogue, mostly older material from Aretha Franklin, Elton John, Eric Clapton and the Judds. No mention of bitrate, but the files will be portable. Clearly a trial balloon.

Here's a direct quote from Universal:

"We hope our experiment with EMusic will help us generate new interest in these titles, while offering a great opportunity for us to give consumers some flexibility," Larry Kenswil, Universal's eLabs president, said in a statement. "There is clearly huge demand for music delivered digitally, and we want to support as many innovative online music services as possible."

By current standards, this is the Great Leap Forward. The rational response is to begin subscribing to the service(s) that "get it", to quote Bill Parcells. They'll do what is in their self-interest, so I guess it's up to us to tell them when they're doing the right thing.

HTH

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2002, 12:56:21 pm »

starflyer

> King, Do you already have the entire
> emusic catalog on disk at home?!
Yes (well almost)

i kind of left out some of the Genres I don't care for

I Got Mostly, Country, Jazz, Rock, Disco, R&B etc.. i did not want to get into the rap, and Opera etc...

What was funny was my wife does not like anything but country (most of the time) and comming back from N.J. To N.C. Today She was boping her head to Tu-Pac.

Listening to: 'Come & Get Your Love' from 'Real Mccoy' by 'Real Mccoy' on Media Jukebox
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

zevele1

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2002, 01:04:54 pm »

You are funny folks!!!
Instead of playing Goodle,just have a look at Emusic,the new stuff is here

H.T.H.====Millions of Verve albums

But for US only.
As i said :short minds[i do not say idiot],thinking that there is no life beyon they coasts

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2002, 02:17:05 pm »

Has anybody been successful at downloading the new material restricted to NorthAmerica using Download manager. I haven't been able to ... it does streange things, like opening other browsers windows and such

I'm going to install FreeAmp to see if it a protocol issue, or if Canada has been removed from North America from the last time I checked ...

Claudio

zevele1

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2002, 02:33:44 pm »

Claudio

I just had a look to let you know

I got the same things than you.I am not surprise ,cause i am not in North America
In fact ,in this case,look like it means
"free people living in free countrys cannot download"

If you are not under the rules of mussolinien ir something,you still have to found this very songs at others places.

A very interesting twist of geography,even this they want to change

tullio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2002, 02:56:22 pm »

Claudio

I just finished downloading 2 albums.  No problems.  I clicked "download entire album," MJB Download Manager opened, and all went as it should.  I'm using Opera, not IE.

DeathRider

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2002, 05:11:18 pm »

I have a question, I am not familiar with EMusic, I have heard about it but havent checked it out till now, I was looking at the latest album by Jethro Tull and it said that to download the complete album freeamp is needed. What is freeamp and do I realy need it since I have MJ.

Thanks Guys
Robert Long

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2002, 05:32:06 pm »

You do not need freeamp for full album download.. MJ Dowload Manager is your friend

PS I've email support for the my issue with "North America" restrictions... it's just going to take the usual 2 or 3 weeks before I get an answer

Claudio

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2002, 05:36:44 pm »

Claudio,
Are you using the latest build?  If so, let us know the detail and we'll track it down.

Jim
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2002, 05:43:35 pm »

"...if Canada has been removed from North America from the last time I checked ..."
OK, if Canada is in North America, why do the highway maps always stop at the border?

Is it Monday in here or is it just me?
That's right.
I'm cool.

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2002, 07:21:12 pm »

Jim,

Yes, I'm using the latest but it's not MJ. Even if I do a single "save as" for an mp3 I get a bogus download.

It's only on the protected content, and either they are incorrectly detecting my IP as from somewhere else, or their licencing agreement with Universal do not include Canada

I'll post a followup when they reply

Claudio

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2002, 07:25:12 pm »

"...if Canada has been removed from North America from the last time I checked ..."
OK, if Canada is in North America, why do the highway maps always stop at the border?

Because we have no highways up here, and we all canoe to work everyday

Claudio

hvy duty

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2002, 08:41:04 pm »

>What was funny was my wife does not like anything but country (most of the time) and comming back from N.J. To N.C. Today She was boping her head to Tu-Pac.

KING: Don't corrupt your wife she has good tastes I have 468 George Jones files if she is interested.

Hey don't take this wrong remember JimH wondered if we were related.

gvag

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2002, 10:05:20 pm »

Hello from British Columbia, we too are no longer part of North America.  

I'm going to contact eMusic and tell them they've got until Friday to fix this mess and I suggest that any fellow MJ users who subscribe to eMusic and don't live in the US, do likewise.  

I've been patiently waiting for two months now for the rumored new content to appear on eMusic, now its here and I can't get access to it.  Yet I pay the same subscription fee as US customers.  Enough is enough.

I think eMusic was ill advised to enter into any agreement that denies service to its customers based on what part of the world they live in, a global enterprise should serve its customers globally, period.

George Vagenas
Vernon, BC,
Canada

zevele1

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2002, 11:33:40 pm »

It is not new that there is music 'for north america only' to download
2 or 3 months ago they started with some records from Matador label

They just apply the rules of the iraa.If you are not under the dicta iraa rules ,means you do not get the songs

North America means USA |PLS|Alaska.Well i do not know but i am sure of it

Now there is a problem as say gvag
I saw they put 1000 albums from the last deal and there is some from before i and others cannot get,but we are paying the same price.

In an other hand,if we want to stop ,even if 'bound' by a year contract,we just have to call our bank,unlike in USA,NOTHING they can do

I said it many many times.Short minded USA will try to run the web as there is still frontiers like 100 years ago

Beside this it is good news for american Emusic members.You can say as H.T.H. they are on the good road.But thanks to all p2p softwares
If not for them,you would not have Verve records on free format before 10 years

By the way i am not upset on a personel level-Emusic is still a good deal to me-

Since on this forum,i started to see USA under a new light
But some people of quality do not make they country of quality[this is true for all people and all countrys].
USA still thinking that USA is the world.Look like few thousands people lost they life to no learning

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2002, 03:17:02 am »

I must have been asleep at the wheel. When/where did Emusic announce it was restricting file access to North America? Don't doubt that's the case, but I didn't see any reference to that in a quick tour through their FAQs.

Agree that users outside the area who are paying full freight have a real beef. Still, permitting access to their library without restricting portability is a quantum change.

HTH

Listening to: 'Samba Triste' by 'Jackie & Roy' on Media Jukebox (not from EMusic)

zevele1

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2002, 03:44:19 am »

H.T.H

If i go to any page from Verve ,here is what i get,on the top,just before the frame with the list of all songs

"Not avaible outside North America due to licensing restrictions"

You may not have it ,because cause you are not concerned.

If you want ,log under my name,we will see

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2002, 04:47:38 am »

Z:

Smack! (Sound of open hand slapping forehead).

Missed that completely. You've got a legitimate complaint.

You're also right about the Xing encoder they're using. Doesn't rate very well on Encspot. I suppose they use it for speed. Here's what www.mp3-encoders.com has to say about Xing:

"Only the Japanese Go-Go-No-Coda rivals Xing in encoding speed.  Newer Fraunhofer encoders approach the speed of Xing with better quality.  In the past, Xing has been accused of cutting corners in the encoding process to gain speed at the expense of sound quality.  However, the newest versions of the Xing encoder produce average sounding MP3s in most genres. Xingtech was the first to bring variable bit rate encoding to the market, a process that intelligently determines bit allocation per a specific segment of music.  Less complicated sections get less bits while more involved segments receive more storage space (bits) producing better sound quality."

HTH

Listening to: 'Bachianas Brasileiras' by 'Jackie & Roy' on Media Jukebox

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2002, 06:10:04 am »

Well I, for one, am completely shocked by my fellow countrymen.  Gee, don't they know it is entirely not in the Canuck tradition to complain!  I mean, sure we complain about the US oftentimes, (ok, all the time) but that's always amongst our own (at the poker table, while fishing, or on This Hour has 22 minutes).  I thought for sure we had given up on being recognized by our neighbours as a real country.  I'm quite excited about this new turn of events, especially if it works, but I fear the odds are against us.  I mean, if they recognized us, it would mean that much more information they would have to learn in Geography class, and really, what are the odds of our neighbours knowing the difference between Ottawa and the Rockies!

ps - Claudio:  what, you don't snowmobile to work?  I guess you are one of the lucky ones to have your igloo right by a river.

A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

zevele1

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2002, 06:21:42 am »

LISE
First they need to open geography classes.............

Don't be upset friends,we just tease you...

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2002, 06:28:10 am »

Hmmm...not sure what you mean by "geography".  Can you explain?  Does it have anything to do with cars?
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2002, 07:14:19 am »

Sure....the more you drive, the less intelligent you are.

Repo Man

HTH

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2002, 09:04:28 am »

HTH.  Don't recall laughing so much in a long time!  
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

gvag

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2002, 09:19:17 am »

Claudio - just in case you're still waiting for a response from eMusic, here's the explanation:

George,

Please accept our apologies for the messaging on our site.

The messaging should read that its US and it's territories only.

Unfortunately, territory restrictions are a part of music licensing.
It rare that a label or content owner will make its music
available for licensing globally in one fell swoop because of
other agreements, loyalties, and potential profitability of certain
markets.  EMusic can only provide what is allowed by the
content owners.

The flip side to this is that we do not collect this content at all
which, for us, is not really a smart move.

I do totally understand your grievance in this matter and
your message has been passed on to management.

Please let us know if we can be of any assistance.

Regards,
Mike
EMusic Support Team

Zevele -

North America means USA  Alaska.Well i do not know but i am sure of it

You were spot on.

Oh well.  Logging on to eMusic to cancel my account.

zevele1

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2002, 10:50:22 am »

For now i keep it.
First there a lot of stuff i want to download
I do not care that much about the new songs,if they still put the indee songs
I sent them a nice an polite email about paying the same than US people and told them that maybe
they can give all mp3.com albums  to download for 'out of US' people

This i really would like

But keep cool:
universal is just trying.They said they want to see if records sales go down or not because of the music put on Emusic

Ok,i know,not nice to say they are idiots,so i do not say they are

But ,again they do not understand a hint about what is music on the net
Of cause people will not buy nore cds ,even they will buy less.
So what?Small money for each download will make big money.
Not only this ,but many records they put on Emusic are big s--t
Do you know many people ready to buy the geffen Neil Young albums?
If yes,take care you have idiots around you
But many people will download the albums.Each download some money.And more money at the end that in 5 years of sale

Not sure about Emusic.In september you may get 'the old Emusic' if universal thinks is no good to put they music on download

They cannot keep people to pay the same for half the catalogue
Beside it a very large part of they customers are 'out US',they cannot afford to see them go away

But what you can see as well is Universal staying on Emusic and indee labels leaving it

Anyway ,you can find many of the new albums on p2p.Encoded with Xing encoder,must be Emusic stuff.....................
Pages: [1]   Go Up