INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Choosing a good motherboard/CPU etc for a MC14 media server  (Read 3425 times)

globetrotters1

• Citizen of the Universe
Choosing a good motherboard/CPU etc for a MC14 media server
« on: September 07, 2009, 11:55:35 am »

Since some time I'm reading a lot of forums/blogs about building a good stable media server. On different websites, especially AVSforum etc.

I'd be very happy to hear from guys with a bigger library what they use with MC14, including their O/S choice... it would be kind if you guys would respond with your hardware choices: motherboard, CPU, memory, O/S, graphics adapter, video tuner and so on - and with a short info if there were driver troubles. Especially also some info about x64 builds would be especially interesting for me

This would facilitate the 'upgrade build' I have in mind

Thanks a lot

PS: the compatibility listings you have in the Wiki don't help me much, I'd like to have up to date info of users, might be useful also for other users

globetrotters1

Re: Choosing a good motherboard/CPU etc for a MC14 media server
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 08:46:59 am »

is there no one with a larger library and a computer with a motherboard, a quad CPU and MC14????

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 10:00:09 am »

It's risky advising someone on hardware, but 6 months ago, Matt recommended an ASUS P6T motherboard and Intel i7 CPU to me when I built a system.

globetrotters1

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 01:22:49 pm »

JimH,

thanks for the info. It's interesting that no one wants to say here with which kind of setup he/she works. It would just be interesting to see the more modern system combinations when working fine with MC14... it would probably help someone to avoid some troubles

For me for instance it would be necessary to choose a M/B - CPU - memory - graphics controller combination which works just fine with MC14 including TV out and which has a second 16x PCIe slot for my RAID controller (on an x8 connection) and two PCI slots for TV tuner PVR and my sound card (which I know I can't change)

I'll look into the M/B you mentioned but know that i7-CPU motherboards might have problems with the Areca controller.

Well, all others who want to contribute to this please let me know a bit more details. And if they ran into troubles with their setup somehow. O/S or MC14 functionality wise?!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 03:37:01 pm »

Here's an article about new Intel processor changes on news.com:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10346667-64.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 04:15:09 pm »

I just bought a new board and CPU for my server system TODAY, actually...  Here's what I got:

1. GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD4P LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
2. Intel Core i5 750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156
3. G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 RAM (F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH)

I'm quite excited.... I've been waiting for some time for the Lynnfield LGA 1156 boards and CPUs to come out.  I'm replacing my old and trustworthy ASUS A8R32-MVP Motherboard (with it's AMD Opteron 170 CPU), which has been running great for me since I bought it literally the day the board came out back in March of 2006.  The main reason I ended up upgrading the system was because I was maxed out on SATA ports on the old board, and I've been having some trouble with one of my two PCI TV tuners on it (I think it conflicts with the on-board RAID or something).

I just couldn't justify the cost of the LGA1366 Core i7's, knowing that the Lynnfield chips wouldn't be too far behind.  I might eventually "trickle down" this new LGA 1156 chip or board to my HTPC, and grab a LGA 1366 CPU for the server, but only if Intel doesn't decide to kill off the desktop variant of their Xeon chips (which is what the LGA1366 Core i7's really are), and only when Gulftown (6-core Nehalem) ships.  Or maybe I'll put the Gulftown in the HTPC instead, or just keep my Q9550 there for a long while.  I'm certainly not having any real trouble with it being slow for me, even with fairly demanding games thrown at it (it is only pushing 1920x1080, after all, which even your average mainstream GPU can handle easily).  Either way, that's at least 9 months to a year off, and this should serve VERY well in the interim.

This new Gigabyte board will fit the bill almost perfectly.  Sure, the P55 PCH uses dumb-old DMI to interface with the CPU (rather than shiny, new QPI like on the LGA 1366 boards), which limits the number of PCI-Express lanes you can hang off of the chipset (and ended up eliminating SATA 6Gbps from the boards in the end), but I'm not going to ever run 2 or 3 graphics cards in a server system, so QPI's insane bandwidth doesn't buy me much (and show me a hard drive that can actually fill a 6Gbps pipe, thanks).  But, aside from that, it's got great features for a media capture/server system:

* 8 SATA 3Gbps Ports, plus another 2 eSATA ports on the back port cluster
* 10 USB ports on the back cluster, plus another 4 headers onboard
* Dual Gigabit LAN ports, which support LACP teaming.
* RAID 0/1/5 support via the Intel Matrix Storage system for 6 of those 8 onboard SATA ports (which is as good as it gets for non-hardware RAID)
* Realtek ALC-889a Audio, which is the nice one that fully supports on-the-fly Dolby Digital re-encoding (so you can actually use an external DAC and route ALL the system audio out through the digital output on the board)

Should be a fun weekend!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 05:15:57 pm »

lots of people have 'shared' their hardware configs.

I would think that the 'smallest' machine would have:

dual core, 1.4 Gz
2 Gb ram
256 Mb video, Direct3D and DX10 capable
XP, Vista, or Win7
power supply, disk, network, HID, case, fans, other stuff as appropriate

I happen to think that on-board video, including the Intel G45, is 'good enough'.  Most mobos that have ATi, Intel, or NV video also have an open card slot suitable for adding in faster video if you find that you need it.  Later.  I haven't.

If your machine is dedicated to HTPC work, the latest and greatest mobo and cpu isn't needed.  The bargain bin at the local pc monger is a great place to find parts.

The last machine I built cost me less than $400 and it's 'bigger' than the specs I just listed.

globetrotters1

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 08:27:29 am »

Thanks, glynor, for your hints and efforts... they helped a lot!

Well, I now installed our new system configuration, wanted to share this configuration for other people who want a serious setup:

Asus P7P55D Deluxe motherboard
Intel i5-750 quad CPU
6GB DDR3-1600 system memory
Corsair 32GB system SSD hard disk (just for the O/S, blazingly fast)
Asus EAH4890 (HD-4890) graphics adapter with TV-out
Creative Audigy ZS2 sound controller
Hauppauge Win-PVR350 TV tuner (we only need analog TV in Mexico - still)
Areca ARC-1680ix-24 RAID controller with SAS external connector (20 drives connected, writes are around 250MB/s, reads around 1000MB/s)
Chenbro UEK-13601 SAS expander for additional 20 drives in second server case (still in test phase, seems to work fine - a bit slower than above)
right now 28 hard drives connected (13x 1.5TB, 12x 500GB, 3x 640GB)
all built into
two Norco RPC-4020 server cases with 20 hdd slots each (one for original, online 24 h/day - one for backup, online only for backup once a week or so)

Works under Win7 (although I had preferred to use Linux, oh well)
JRiver MC14 with JRiver remote control

Initially I was afraid of hardware incompatibilities, but this setup simply works

Had a install problem with the motherboard (crooked IDE connector, couldn't make the DVD drive work - replaced) and a problem with one 1.5TB WD15EADS drive (died on me, replaced), since then working with MC14 (audio so far ok, have some setup problems still with movies and TV). Newegg was a perfect supplier, will buy again there in the future. Hope for some more support from JRiver to solve some video problems.

Actually ~300'000 music tracks in the MC14 database and some 300 DVD movies.

So far a very good result, happy with it

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 12:36:45 pm »

Nice!  My system (described above) has been running splendidly under Win7 64-bit.  Very happy with the purchase.

Pages: [1]   Go Up