INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: PvdImport Test log III  (Read 12876 times)

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: PvdImport Test log III
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2009, 02:31:39 pm »

I think existing users will expect the installation routine to recognize and use their existing configuration.

I saw the post re text stamping - lets hope something comes out of it!

I'm looking forward to face-tagging my cover art! ;)

I wanted a way to keep them separate as I use different lookup criteria for movies vs series.

Long ago I asked nostra to provide a way to handle multiple configurations, even if just adding a second identical but distinct IMDb DLL. He hasn't yet seen the light. My workaround is to make my copy of the plugin which I can then set different field overwrite settings. Unfortunately, other configuration settings can't be changed this way. It can also be confusing having two identical plugins in the menu and configuration. I use batch files to run then so I don't mix them up. It's awkward, but much easier than running two databases.

I'm thinking you could probably use rick.ca's method of export-import + special image handling to merge the DBs...

He could, but it's questionable whether that would be worthwhile for series. I don't know how to export/import episodes, and they would have to be re-imported again anyway to add the people.

The ability to split and merge databases has been on nostra's todo list for a long time. It would be such a handy thing, I suspect it's one of those "easier said than done" things.

raldo

« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2009, 12:47:51 am »

I think existing users will expect the installation routine to recognize and use their existing configuration.
Yes, that needs to be fixed...

I'm looking forward to face-tagging my cover art! ;)
Ha ha!

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2009, 10:30:36 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm sure it's doable (through exporting/importing) but I have a bit of a habit of putting off hard jobs ;) If/when I do it I'd probably export the Films library and just import it into my Series one, to avoid the episodes issue.

Re. face tagging, I think the 'Text Stamp' is a good idea, and is probably the closest approximation that is already in the program. I do think it should be kept separate from the Image Editing side of things, however.

raldo

« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2009, 12:40:27 pm »

Most of the changes in this release revolves around this issue. If you could test any combination of existence of .xml files I'd be happy, ha ha! (that'll be 8 tests if I'm not wrong). Edit: You should only have to install once, though..

o The PvdImportConfiguration.xml file is now generated from default values when it doesn't exist on the user's system. Previously it was copied from the installer when changes had been done to the default version.
o When the file listed in the users  PvdImportConfiguration.xml file cannot be found, the Pvd field configuration file is generated from a default version, PvdImportFieldConfig_default.xml . Previously it was copied from the installer when changes had been done to the default version.
o Migration to MS Visual Studio 2008. This should have no consequences for existing users since the .net version is kept.

rick.ca

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2009, 03:07:39 pm »

After installing 1.1.13, MC reported "Interface plug-in 'PvdImport' could not be found or created" on startup. I didn't check closely, but I don't think all the DLL's were installed. "Fixing" the installation didn't change anything. I had to uninstall, reinstall and replace the configuration file from backup. Sorry: 0/8.  :-\

raldo

« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2009, 04:44:59 am »

After installing 1.1.13, MC reported "Interface plug-in 'PvdImport' could not be found or created" on startup. I didn't check closely, but I don't think all the DLL's were installed. "Fixing" the installation didn't change anything. I had to uninstall, reinstall and replace the configuration file from backup. Sorry: 0/8.  :-\

Did you try to install 1.1.13 from scratch?

rick.ca

« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2009, 01:00:22 pm »

I had to uninstall, reinstall...

Is this not the same as "installing 13 from scratch"? ?

If I wasn't clear... 13 did work fine once installed. I was just unable to test the new features. I don't mind reverting to a previous version and trying the installation again, but it seems there's something you need to fix first.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2009, 01:03:18 pm »

How about calling it PI 13 or similar to avoid confusion with MC13?

rick.ca

« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2009, 01:37:26 pm »

This thing is overdue for release. I'm sure raldo intentionally messed this up so the release version can be confused with MC14. ;)

raldo

« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2009, 02:38:21 pm »

This thing is overdue for release. I'm sure raldo intentionally messed this up so the release version can be confused with MC14. ;)
Yeah, I wish!

But the install problem on 1.1.13 turned out to be a lot harder to solve than I thought. I'd rather not revert to 2005 so I'll try and figure this one out before I release.

raldo

« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2009, 11:43:12 am »

o Revert to MS Visual Studio 2005. Upgrading the plugin did not work (uninstall then install worked)

rick.ca

« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2009, 03:51:50 pm »

That works fine. I installed it "on top" of my existing installation, and it used my existing settings and field configurations.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up