INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any option to sort music by beat intensity of music tracks?  (Read 4539 times)

ranjan

• Recent member
Any option to sort music by beat intensity of music tracks?
« on: September 25, 2009, 12:18:19 pm »

Is there a way to sort the music by analyzing the BPM (beat per min)and the beat intensity of music tracks?

Once sorted I want to make a playlist based on BPM.

greggd3

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Any option to sort music by beat intensity of music tracks?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 01:37:30 pm »

Sounds like a runners question.  Good idea!  Please let us know. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 02:03:13 pm »

The Analyze Audio view will analyze the BPM.

You can add the 'BPM' column to any view and sort by it.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ranjan

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 11:25:49 pm »

Thanks Matt,
that did the job now I can have a party list sorted on BPM.

I now realize the BPM sorted list does not necessarily (always) brings the kind of songs I thought it would.  
A slow song can have higher beats & a fast song can have low beats.............learnt something new.

BPM along with tempo makes the difference

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 06:29:50 am »

I now realize the BPM sorted list does not necessarily (always) brings the kind of songs I thought it would. 
A slow song can have higher beats & a fast song can have low beats.............learnt something new.

BPM along with tempo makes the difference

To be clear, BPM is actually a unit of measure for tempo. (ie. The tempo of this song is 120BPM), so they're effectively the same thing.
What you're seeing (presumably) is the lack of perfection of automatic tempo detection algorithms. Due to the complexity of the issue there just isn't a way to do it with 100% correct results (at least not yet).

One of the most common mistakes you'll see with auto-tempo detection are values that are either half or double they're true value. So a slower song might be labeled at 180bpm, but is really 90bpm. So, if you've got time to do some manual modification you can scroll through your sorted list of "fast" songs and for any that you know are slower, just manually edit the value to half of whatever the auto-detection tagged it as. Then do the opposite while going through your slow songs. Depending on how many songs you have this may or may not be feasible.

-JB
Pages: [1]   Go Up