INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iTunes migration  (Read 1232 times)

tsmoke

• Junior Woodchuck
iTunes migration
« on: September 27, 2009, 05:19:22 am »

I'm looking for an alternative to iTunes to play and manage my music collection and I've just discovered the Media Center. It looks promising. I like the DSP Studio and VST plugins. I'm a bit lost in the Media Center interface, almost everything I click has some options like on those modern digital cameras. After few hours of looking around I can't find few functions I'm often using in the iTunes:

- The info window: is it possible for the  MC to remember some settings for a track like volume adjustment or start/stop positions? I'm trying to understand the wikipedia article about replay gain, but it seems all automatic or maybe I can edit it?

- The browser in playlist view: I can have the three pane browser on top when I'm in the Audio tree in the left pane. How to have it when I'm in some playlist?

- as I understand, there isn't something like the current playlist. When I start to play a playlist it is copied to "playing now". Is there some button or a key combination to display and center on the track currently plaing? Like this small arrow on the  iTunes "display". 

And something different
Do you know about something like media center remote, but more suitable for laptop, preferably bluetooth and compatible with Media Center. I've got one of the corporate  line oh HP laptops and it unfortunetely doesn't have remote.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: iTunes migration
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 07:21:48 am »

Any Media Center remote should work.  I've seen some very small ones.

Try reading about Audio Analysis and about Replay Gain.  Replay Gain gets added to the tag, and can be turned on or off in the DSP Studio.

Start and stop positions were recently added.  There is a thread on this in the last week.

If you want to dig into any of those topics, it's nice if you can start a thread with a single subject.  It makes it easier for others to find.

Good luck.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Re: iTunes migration
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 07:57:24 am »

- The info window: is it possible for the  MC to remember some settings for a track like volume adjustment or start/stop positions? I'm trying to understand the wikipedia article about replay gain, but it seems all automatic or maybe I can edit it?

Select a bunch of files and then in the "Tools" menu, click on "analyze audio". This will auto populate the bpm, and replay gain values for those files.
Then when playing back, click on the equaliser button (with the dsp settings etc) next to the search box at the top right. Select whether you want track or album gain.

- The browser in playlist view: I can have the three pane browser on top when I'm in the Audio tree in the left pane. How to have it when I'm in some playlist?
Create a new viewscheme and under it's advanced options you an give it rules. Create a rule that limits the tracks to just one playlist.

- as I understand, there isn't something like the current playlist. When I start to play a playlist it is copied to "playing now". Is there some button or a key combination to display and center on the track currently plaing? Like this small arrow on the  iTunes "display". 
There is no way to jump to the current playing track in a view or playlist. But you can select a playing track in the "Playing now" playlist and right click "Locate.." and it will jump you to the place in the library where that track exists.

Pages: [1]   Go Up