INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request: Better support for importing and synching playlists (Important for DJs)  (Read 1129 times)

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen

Problem:

For some people, playlists are almost as important as music or tags. However, they are often lost due to updates or mistakes (I experienced this many times).

Current Unsatisfactory Solutions:

1. library backup: It usually takes me a while to notice that playlists are gone and hunting down the right  backup file and merging it to the current database is not.
2. playlist export: this somewhat works, but importing the playlists back is a BIG hassle. You have to do that one by one and you have to enter names for each. (is there a better way)

Real Solution
The same solution used to keep the tags safe. Keep a copy of the data distributedly outside of the database. This can be achieved incrementally.

1. At the very least, the playlists should be imported from external files with one click. (this requires a mapping between playlist folder structure in MC and in the filesystem).
2. Preferably, the playlists should be manually synched with external playlist files.
3. Ideally, the playlists should be kept in sync seemless, just like the tags (including the new video tags) are in sync.

Item 1 should be easy to implement and already provides reasonable security.

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen

bump. No comments?

v8juice

Just lost a ton of playlists due to a crash & thought Import Playlist would do the same as Export All, how stupid of me. Would love a way to get back all those lists in folders without having to add them back in one by one. Life is rough. (Thanks for the Library Backup tip, it saved a lot of work)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

MC makes automated backups.  Try restoring one.  It's under File/Library.

v8juice

Thanks, I found the most recent playlistx.jmd file & copied it over to the \Library folder. Life really isn't all that rough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up