INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VB.NET Template Plugin trouble  (Read 5663 times)

llafriel

• World Citizen
VB.NET Template Plugin trouble
« on: October 11, 2009, 01:28:23 pm »

Hi,

I'm trying to use the template made by Mr ChriZ, but I'm having some trouble. It doesn't show in MC. I installed it as per the guide. I didn't rename it, just added a textlabel in visual express and ran the innosetup and installed it to MC. It appears in services & plugins but there is nothing in the main interface when I click it.
What am I doing wrong?

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: VB.NET Template Plugin trouble
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 03:39:29 pm »

yes, that is what it always does for me after a new windows\mc install. and that is my own incompetence. but when i rebuild after that all the things do show up. try it.  8)

:)
gab

llafriel

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 04:28:19 pm »

Thanks for the reply. I'm not quite sure I understand what you said. You mean rebuilding in visual express? Doing that didn't help.  ?

gappie

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 04:35:49 pm »

Thanks for the reply. I'm not quite sure I understand what you said. You mean rebuilding in visual express? Doing that didn't help.  ?
yes that was what i ment. i started of with mr criz his template in the 12 days, and it is what i still use now. i remember it was a bit of a fight then, could not rename etc, but it works since, with the only dificulty the thing i said above. but since reinstalling windows is far from a something i do every day, it does not mind me much.
sorry it did not work for you.

but keep digging, check the inno setup very well, and hope someone knowledgeable comes along.
after that the fun starts.

gab

pbair

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 02:31:23 am »

Hi,

I'm trying to use the template made by Mr ChriZ, but I'm having some trouble. It doesn't show in MC. I installed it as per the guide. I didn't rename it, just added a textlabel in visual express and ran the innosetup and installed it to MC. It appears in services & plugins but there is nothing in the main interface when I click it.
What am I doing wrong?

I'm using VB Express 2008 and I seem to recall having to make a few very minor changes to the plugin template to get it to work.  Try the following:
Check the Error List for the template in VB.NET.  If no errors are listed, try adding "Options Strict On" at the very top of the MainInterface code then re-check the Error List.  Resolve all errors and rebuild.

llafriel

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 05:34:24 am »

No errors reported with 'option strict on'. Do you recall what changes you made? I appreciate the help guys.

llafriel

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 03:39:26 pm »

So... My computer crashed while mc was doing an import.. After a reboot my test msgbox popped up.. Suddenly it's working..?! I don't understand what happened though, as I did reboot several times earlier.
Doesn't matter though, now I can continue with my little project  :)

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 04:47:27 pm »

I've been away for a few days.     If my post's need updating/improving at all then it would probably be a good thing to move to the wiki.
I've not looked into dev with MC for a few years, so as a result can't really remember how it works.

raldo

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 02:57:32 am »

Are you guys talking about the Visual Studio templates for plugins?

If so: Just out of curiosity, why use a template and not a stripped down project?

I'd argue that a template introduces another step of complexity for new users. A stripped down VB or C# project is a lot easier to get up and running imho.

MrChriz: Also out of curiosity: Why use Innosetup instead of the built in visual studio setup packaging system?

llafriel

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 04:25:35 am »

I'm sad to report that after adding some elements to the design and rebuilding, it has stopped working again. It's a bit frustrating as I've gotten the rest of the program to a kind of working state.

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 06:06:26 am »

MrChriz: Also out of curiosity: Why use Innosetup instead of the built in visual studio setup packaging system?

I've not used either in a couple of years, but the Visual Studio package system used to be fairly complex to use and had a horrible habit of leaving things all over the place, and was easily corrupted..  Innosetup is very easy to customize, and very clean, also compresses the files very small for a small self extracting EXE.  As a developer you can also see everything it's going to do because it is entirely script driven.  It maybe that with 2008 possibly even with 2005 it's much better.  I can't claim I've used either.  The templates are getting quite old now, there is probably better ways of doing things.

llafriel are you remembering to close MC prior to compiling/Installing, as MC will keep a reference to the object and so not be able to replace it?
I can't remember how MC ends up referencing the DLL, I think it gets registered somewhere and it sounds like that registered version isn't being updated.

llafriel

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 06:38:16 am »

Yes, MC is closed while compiling and installing. Innosetup gives an errormessage if MC is open. No errors otherwise.
I'm most likely doing something silly, but since I have no experience with this its difficucult to know where to look.

gappie

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 06:41:36 am »

Yes, MC is closed while compiling and installing. Innosetup gives an errormessage if MC is open. No errors otherwise.
I'm most likely doing something silly, but since I have no experience with this its difficucult to know where to look.
well, not sure, what i do is run inno setup only once.  After that, rebuilding via vb is enough to update the plugin.

gab

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 06:59:54 am »

well, not sure, what i do is run inno setup only ones, after that, rebuilding via vb is enough to update the plugin.

gab

That sounds about as it should be...

Is the form showing up at all or is it just blank?

gappie

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 07:05:45 am »

and just to be sure. you are not using library/media server. because i guess they should also be closed.

gab

llafriel

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 07:41:22 am »

No media server running. It is mostly blank but often it shows what was previously selected. i.e. when going from media server to 'Template Plugin' It shows the media server page. just the graphics though, not clickable/usable.

llafriel

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 07:54:27 am »

Well now its suddenly working again. I'm even retrieving data from TMdb into the plugin. :) There must be something with the computer or more likely pebcak. Hopefully it'll keep working now. Thanks for the help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up