INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bit of help please with 5.1 and dts output settings  (Read 2410 times)

aquatarkus

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
bit of help please with 5.1 and dts output settings
« on: November 21, 2009, 03:27:31 pm »

Hope someone might be able to help me with this, I have just built my new htpc using a Asus M4A785D-M Pro motherboard, AMD Phenom II X3 Tri core 720 black edition cpu, 4 gig DDR2 memory, 1 x 500 gig system drive 1 x 1.5Tb storage drive and a dvd r/rw drive (changing at Xmas to a BlueRay drive) am using the built in ATI 4200HD graphics and built in sound card untill xmas when these will be upgraded as well. Operating system is Win Vista Ultimate X64 at the moment.
All is running ok for music playback via MC13 on my Win 2003R2 server (MC13 is set as a Library Server) which MC13 on the new HTPC picks up fine via wireless N but have a problem with DD 5.1 and DTS playback of films (AVI, DivX and Xvid's) stored either on the server or on the 1.5Tb storge drive. (I have the Sharky 007 vista codec pack with the X64 addons) I output via optical spdif on the motherboard to optical in on my Sony STRA 2400ES receiver. i have followed the Surround Sound instruction on the Wiki page but still only get 2 channel sound. The Sony amp is set to A F D (Auto Format Detection) have tried all the settings i can think of but still always 2 channel sound.
If i play the same films via Windows Media Center it picks up the DD 5.1 or DTS sound track imediatly (had to run Windows Media Center setup 1st of course) can some one point me in the right direction, or give me a few tips as to what might be wrong.
I have a newly purchased version of Win7 Ultimate X64 that i could use if people think its worthwhile upgrading (would do a clean install) Will also upgrade to MC14 as well if thats whats needed. I would prefer to use JRiver MC 13 or 14 over Windows Media Center but if cant get this problem sorted will have to go with Windows Media Center. any help very much appreciated.

Aquatarkus

The Big Labinski

• Galactic Citizen
  • Wake up and slow down
Re: bit of help please with 5.1 and dts output settings
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 06:27:36 am »

Dear aquatarkus and all other who has problems with Audio 5.1 digital output (AC3 files).

Here are my hardware and settings which work without any problems:
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit
Soundblaster X-Fi extreme
Yamaha DSP-Z9  ;D
Spdif optical out
MC 14.0.118
Options > Playback > DVD playbck settings > Audio decoders: AC3Filter (must be installed) <end>
Options > File Types > AC3 > Playback Method > JRiver video engine (DS filters) > source filter > automatic > other filters > AC3filter <end>
AC3Filter > SPDIF > use spdif <end>

Yes this was the only setting which is able to handle it.

Wake up and slow down 😴

papamikey

Re: bit of help please with 5.1 and dts output settings
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 11:31:01 pm »

Hello,

You seem very knoweldgeable about playing through a surround sound system.  Might i initiate another thread off yours?

I haven't posted to this board in some time.  I used to be a JR Mediacenter user WAY back, and since then have fallen off of wanting or needing to stream music to my TV.  Mostly because of my 160GB ipod, I've just gotten lazy, and it serves most of my purpose.

Enter my library of MP4 movie files.  I'd like to re-enter that paradigm again.

The options as i see them are:

1.  Update my JR license to the current version.  Stream to TiVo (but TiVO is two channel, yes?)
2.  Update my JR Licence to the current version. Stream to XBOX360 (but if 360 is gone :(  ).
3.  Get a computer that has sufficient drive, and hang it off my Yamaha receiver, like you are doing. 
4.  Wait and update my Yamaha receiver, and at that time, get a computer that has HDMI output, and then do the same.
5.  Update my licence and get a new xbox.  Stream to the new Xbox.

I favor #5, cuz the xbox does so much more too, and is the cheapest and most versatile solution i think.

Thoughts?
Pages: [1]   Go Up