INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 7 Backup and Resore Center Faild Due to MC14  (Read 1474 times)

DanteCaspian

• Recent member
Windows 7 Backup and Resore Center Faild Due to MC14
« on: December 09, 2009, 08:00:06 pm »

While possible to be a single anomaly, I thought I would post my problem, in the event others have this.

When I upgraded to Win7 something failed to work in the OS.  The backup and restore center buttons (links) failed to work.  After some investigation and some help from a Microsoft Tech, it was found that the culprit was in the registry from guid {7578A3D3-CF04-4F4B-A231-43D8F50A4C49}, connected to C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 14\x64\JRShellExt.dll, Media Center x64

the resolution was to search for this guid via regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellCompatibility\Objects\
-If found, on the right create a new ‘String Value’ with name CTXMENU_NOVERBS=
-If not, you will have to create a key with the guid first and then do step 6.
(This will ask the OS to ignore the fault of the app.)
After this your CPL should work fine.

It is plausible that the 32bit number would be different on another system.

Anyway, just throwing this out there-- just in case.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Windows 7 Backup and Resore Center Faild Due to MC14
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 08:31:23 pm »

Make sure you have the latest version of Media Center installed.

The shell extensions are working in x64 on Windows 7 for me.  Do they work for a regular right-click on some media files?

They can be disabled in Options > General if you like.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rick.ca

Re: Windows 7 Backup and Resore Center Failed Due to MC14
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 02:45:45 am »

While possible to be a single anomaly, I thought I would post my problem, in the event others have this.

Thanks for sharing this—I had the same problem. It seems I've been able to implement the solution, but I was very confused at first. Because I had shell integration enabled, that key existed in my registry—so I didn't understand what it was I was supposed to change. Eventually, I deduced I had to disable shell integration (which removes the key), add the key to the registry (which is easy if it's exported first), then re-enable shell integration. I don't understand how these things work, but I suppose this forced MC to create a new/different GUID. :-\

But now the burning question is... How did these two things end up using the same GUID in the first place? If by chance, isn't that like winning the lottery a few billion times in a row? :o

So now I have to revisit another question. Is the Windows 7 backup system good enough to be trusted? When I need to restore something, I'm usually not in the mood for hacking the registry! ;D

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 09:21:43 am »

I've looked at this more, and am confused.

When we register the x64 shell extensions, we create this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellCompatibility\Objects\{7578A3D3-CF04-4F4B-A231-43D8F50A4C49}

We also add the value CTXMENU_NOVERBS.

If I manually register and unregister with regsvr32.exe the the shell extensions here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 14\x64\JRShellExt.dll

I can watch that key get created and deleted.

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 02:41:23 pm »

Please don't be confused because of me! I don't understand much about such things, and am only guessing based on what I see. I assumed the key "belonged" to Windows because of its location—obviously not. But maybe it was Windows that was forced to create a new/different GUID, or somehow so what it needs to do differently. :-\

The important thing is, Backup and Restore and shell extensions for both applications are now working.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 10:17:24 pm »

I can reproduce the links not working if CTXMENU_NOVERBS doesn't exist.

However, I can't reproduce that key not existing.  If the shell extensions are registered, they set that key.  I can't think why the key would ever be missing except for system corruption.

And I couldn't find documentation about CTXMENU_NOVERBS anywhere, although we have been setting it for a long time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up