INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album Artist Tag issue  (Read 1990 times)

QueBall

• Recent member
Album Artist Tag issue
« on: December 14, 2009, 07:27:35 am »

I have recently changed from MJ12 to MC14.
One of the little issues I am having is with "Album Artist" tags.

I see there are a couple of posts which talk about this tag.

I have spent a bit of time tagging mp3's in MJ12 to find that when loaded into MC14 they are no longer oganised correctly.

Is there any way to load the Media Jukebox "album artist" comment field first rather than the ID3 tag?
Or is there an easier way other than re-tagging every file.

Thanks for your help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

QueBall

• Recent member
Re: Album Artist Tag issue
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 03:15:08 am »

Hi jimH,

Sorry, I think you may have misunderstood my question.
I understand the Album Artist fields and think they are a great addition by JRiver.

I have already used these fields in Media Jukebox but when imported into Media Center I get different values.

What is the best and/or easiest way to get the Media Jukebox values into Media Center.
I have updated Media Center. I have tried to 'update tags from library' in MJ12 then 'update library from tags' in MC14.

I found another topic which talks about 'MP3tag'. Do i have to manually delete the ID3 album artist tag? Does Media Center write over all album artist tags? If so shouldn't Media Jukebox do this also?

Thanks

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 03:34:13 am »

QueBall

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 04:26:22 am »

Thanks marko,
I haven't upgraded from MC12/13, just changing from MJ12 to MC14.

Was hoping there would be a better way of fixing this without going through and re-tagging all 15k+ files.
They show up ok in MJ12 but change in MC14. MC14 seems to load from TEP2/ID3 tag before MJ tag so i get an unwanted value. looks like I might be able to fix it with MP3tag and clearing the TEP2/ID3 tag.

ok, no worries.

Thank you very much for your help.
Until next time, I think I have a few other queries. Will look into it a bit more before I bother you guys again.

Cheers

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 09:29:33 am »

Could you simply restore an MJ12 library backup file in MC14?  ( File > Library > Back Up / Restore ... Library )

In addition to restoring the correct field values it would also restore all playlists and statistics.

After restoring you could save the tags once in order to change the physical tag values to the more compatible MC14 style.  ( select the files and run:  Tools > Library Tools > Update Tags (from library)  )
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

QueBall

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 11:03:53 pm »

Hi Alex,

Yeah, I thought about that but I have already loaded 1k+ movies to test theater view functionality.
It works excellent bar a couple of little bugs I am yet to confirm are my fault not.

If I restore a mp3 library will this overwrite the movie part of the library?

I have also just noticed that the date field is only loading the year not yyyy/mm/dd as I have entered into MJ12.

Thanks for you help.
Que

QueBall

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 12:01:41 am »

Just tried a restore.
Actually removes images, video and other tabs from Library view panel also.
Checked date field while I was there.
Still only shows year. Changes day and month to 1/1 also.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 01:31:55 am »

It removes the other media types because MJ12 supports only audio. The missing tree branches should come back after you have imported some video & image files, but they will not contain files from the time before the restore. A restore replaces the complete database.

I don't know why the restore didn't import the yyyy/mm/dd date values correctly. The physical file tag format for precise date values (other than plain year) has changed a bit since MJ12 (once again to a more compatible format), but that shouldn't matter when you are restoring a library backup file.

Perhaps you should restore your latest MC14 library backup file that includes the videos and try another method for importing MJ12 file data:

- MJ 12 can export an MPL playlist file that contains all field data including the playcounts and original import dates (but not any of the playlists from the Playlists tree branch). You would need to have all files in the view pane and do: File > Export Playlist (select the MPL format).

- In MC14 do: File > Import Playlist (point it to the exported MPL file) and MC will update the library field values. Possibly you need to do it twice in order to replace also the Date Imported values. This will update only the audio file data and preserve your video data.

EDIT

I assume that you have not moved or renamed the audio files after the MJ library was exported to a library backup file or to an MPL file. If the media files cannot be found from the included filename paths the exported files are useless.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

QueBall

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 05:33:11 am »

I seem to have somewhat found a way around this.

I restored the MJ12 library in MC14. Everything seemed to load ok.

I then did an "update tag from library". Which set 'Band' to the MJ12 'Album Artist' info.

Then restored my previous MC14 Library and setup the auto-imports.

It loaded almost everything ok except a few files which had odd JR/band info entered. This entry changed the Album artist on import for some reason.

All seems ok now though.

Thank you guys for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up