INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 7th Gen Classic  (Read 7671 times)

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
7th Gen Classic
« on: December 15, 2009, 11:30:31 pm »

I haven't seen anything.  Does anyone know if the new 7th Gen classic will work with MC?
Thanks

goose2

• World Citizen
Re: 7th Gen Classic
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 03:53:48 pm »

I haven't seen anything.  Does anyone know if the new 7th Gen classic will work with MC?
Thanks
I have the same question Boydn...have you found out anything?
Thanks

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 08:02:53 pm »

Not yet, May just break down and buy it to see

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 08:57:31 pm »

You might want to take a look at the latest Sony Walkman players.  They work well with MC.  We're also getting good help from Sony.

goose2

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 10:13:51 am »

You might want to take a look at the latest Sony Walkman players.  They work well with MC.  We're also getting good help from Sony.
Your answer would imply that the ipod doesn't work well with MC?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 10:23:09 am »

Your answer would imply that the ipod doesn't work well with MC?
I can't answer that.  The trend has been for Apple to make it progressively more difficult, so we're not working on them any more.  Older iPods usually still work with MC14.

goose2

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 11:16:41 am »

I can't answer that.  The trend has been for Apple to make it progressively more difficult, so we're not working on them any more.  Older iPods usually still work with MC14.
I understand....I'm not a fan of Apple policy either, but I want the large capacity of the Ipod classic. Any other players out there that come close? Zune?
Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 11:21:28 am »

Zune is not compatible.

dcpete

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 02:34:43 pm »

I am very close to filling up my 120Gb Zune and am thinking about getting the new 160Gb iPod.  I think it's the only game in town for this capacity (am I right?).  I know Zune dropped the high capacity model.  I have been using the Zune software for updating my Zune since MC doesn't work.  It's been fine.  I dread having to use iTunes software.  Can we have a conclusive statement about whether MC supports downloading to the new iPod, or not?

Chris

goose2

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 02:37:56 pm »

ICan we have a conclusive statement about whether MC supports downloading to the new iPod, or not?

Chris

Yes, please.............surely someone reading this has tried the 7th Gen Classic and can enlighten us.
Thanks

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 02:31:58 pm »

I'd like to look for an alternative but, Ipod works with my car stereo nd that's the priorty

dcpete

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 02:52:18 pm »

Well, I just bought an iPod Classic 160.  The priority for me was the fact that I just ran out of space on my Zune 120.  But I will use iTunes to download onto the iPod initially.  I don't want to chance anything funky happening with MC and the new iPod.  I still maintain my collection with MC.  I'm not sure how important it really is to use MC to download content.  I never really had a problem using Zune software to download content into my Zune.

Chris

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 09:21:03 pm »

Apple does not play nice. But an easy workaround is to use an add-on application developed by prod. See the attached link:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51734.0

The purpose of the add-on is to sync MC and iTunes. That way you can use MC for all the things it is great at and use iTunes as a engine to sync your mobile devices.

goose2

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 12:16:03 pm »

The purpose of the add-on is to sync MC and iTunes. That way you can use MC for all the things it is great at and use iTunes as a engine to sync your mobile devices.
This is good news indeed...I just read through the thread and it looks like a winner. Many thanks...I'm ordering the Ipod.

dcpete

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 01:47:16 pm »

Ok, this does look like a good solution.  I just ran into the very nasty issue that there is no way to refresh the iTunes library if you make external changes to it (other than wiping it out, and starting again).  I of course, use MC for all my tagging, maintanence and ripping.  iTunes doesn't recognize any changes I make from MC.  

I actually maintain two identical music databases.  One is lossless, the other is lossy (mp3's).  So my MP3 database is used strictly for downloading to portable devices.  I was using a Zune before I ran out of space.  The Zune software is way better than iTunes.  It is intelligent in that it always looks for updates to the database if you change it externally.  So I was able to use the same physical database for Zune and MC.  I did all my tagging and additions/deletions with MC.  Then I just downloaded to my Zune with the Zune software.  It worked fine.

iTunes seems like a big step backwards.  If I read correctly, this syncronizer application requires two separate databases?  One for MC, the other for iTunes?  Is it true they can't be the same physical database?  It's not really a problem, just wondering.

Chris

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2009, 12:16:33 pm »

Ok, this does look like a good solution.  I just ran into the very nasty issue that there is no way to refresh the iTunes library if you make external changes to it (other than wiping it out, and starting again).  I of course, use MC for all my tagging, maintanence and ripping.  iTunes doesn't recognize any changes I make from MC.  

I actually maintain two identical music databases.  One is lossless, the other is lossy (mp3's).  So my MP3 database is used strictly for downloading to portable devices.  I was using a Zune before I ran out of space.  The Zune software is way better than iTunes.  It is intelligent in that it always looks for updates to the database if you change it externally.  So I was able to use the same physical database for Zune and MC.  I did all my tagging and additions/deletions with MC.  Then I just downloaded to my Zune with the Zune software.  It worked fine.

iTunes seems like a big step backwards.  If I read correctly, this syncronizer application requires two separate databases?  One for MC, the other for iTunes?  Is it true they can't be the same physical database?  It's not really a problem, just wondering.

Chris

My use of MCiS is pretty straight forward, in part because all my audio is MP3. I suggest you post some of your questions on the MCiS thread. There are users using that software that have both lossless and lossy libraries.

Also, iTunes does not recognize external changes, but MC does. I think MCiS takes care of this situation.

dcpete

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 11:11:35 am »

I have gotten MCiT to solve my problems.  I went back to a single mp3 database and let the program sync up between iTunes and MC 14.  It's an extra step I never had to do before with my Zune, but it's automated and seems to work well.  I'm happy!

Chris

goose2

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 11:37:21 am »

Thanks for the updates Pete and Randy....I've ordered the Ipod and will be trying it out soon. Any further tips you figure out would be helpful.....Thx

Mr. Odd

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 09:14:10 am »

So - yes or no, MC works with the current generation of Classics?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 09:25:57 am »

You'll have to try it.  I've lost track of what works and doesn't.  You can thank Apple for the confusion.

Mr. Odd

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2010, 09:54:40 am »

I don't have one, just want to know in the event that my current iPod dies and I need a new one. Anyone out there using MC with the latest Classic?

goose2

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2010, 11:46:56 pm »

The MCiS program discussed here is working for me...a bit more effort but with 160 gigs on the ipod I don't have to re-sync that often.

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 06:51:21 pm »

I've been using a 16Gb Classic through MC for quite some time successfully. The large capacity and ability to hook to my car's head unit without using the mini jack is a winner for me. You can even use the replay gain if you want to. I don't even have itunes on my machine  ;D .

Jim mentioned how JRiver is not committing to keeping up to date with the iPod due to the fact that Apple doesn't play well with others, but so far I'm still good. I do suggest, however, that if you choose to still have iTunes, save the install program for the version that you use so that after Apple updates and causes problems, you can uninstall it and reinstall the older version. You will still need iTunes for firmware updates but hey, if it ain't broke, why update the firmware.
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day!

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2010, 10:04:22 am »

I've been using a 5th Generation iPod video for years. I've never installed iTunes, and MC works beautifully with it. Plug it in, MC picks it up, performs the sync, then ejects it, leaving it charging up via USB. MC also manages a 39Gb mp3 cache for use in sync jobs with no intervention from me whatsoever....

Now, my trusty iPod is dying, albeit slowly, but it iis dying. The battery life is getting ever shorter. I'm having to charge twice a week now, when it used to go between 8 - 10 days.

In the not too distant future, I need a new portable.

I cannot plug anything into my car radio, so, my next player must have the ability to transmit FM, either natively, or by way of something like the iTrip I currently use with my iPod.
It must work as painlessly as my current iPod does with MC.
I would like that it sync play counts and last played data back to MC when connected.

I like their televisions, but have never really been struck by their handhelds. This is interesting though...
Do they sync play counts and last played back to MC when connected?

-marko.

Edit:
That NWZ-X1060 looks pretty nifty...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2010, 10:37:12 am »

Do they sync play counts and last played back to MC when connected?
I don't know, Marko.  Sorry.

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2010, 10:42:45 am »

I'll second that... play count and last played would be nice.

I would like that it sync play counts and last played data back to MC when connected.

My iPod still has lots of life left in it so I won't need to make that decision for some time. I do however want something that has a large capacity. I use primarily lossless and currently sync just smartlists; with a 160Gb capacity I only need to sync up every few weeks. (I wish Apple would play nice, but that may be asking too much.)

Jim, do you know of any which have a large capacity and support replay gain?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2010, 10:48:53 am »

Archos, maybe.

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2010, 10:56:04 am »

I'll look into it, thanks Jim!

edladner

• World Citizen
  • The diet worked
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2010, 04:15:40 pm »

I have a 160gb 7th gen coming Wednesday.  I will not use iTunes, I'd rather send it back first.  I will let everyone know how it goes. 

edladner

• World Citizen
  • The diet worked
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2010, 12:01:36 pm »

The new 7th gen classic works perfectly with MC15.  The only thing I could find was the color of the ipod in the picture is wrong.  It show white and mine is black.

goose2

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2010, 12:49:25 pm »

The new 7th gen classic works perfectly with MC15.  The only thing I could find was the color of the ipod in the picture is wrong.  It show white and mine is black.
This is good news! I've been using the MCiS program successfully but, while I applaud the developer's efforts, the elimination of this step...and getting rid of apple software, is an attractive option. Please keep us updated. Thanks

denisr

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2010, 03:54:20 am »

I just bought the model that Apple refers to as the "iPod Classic 160Gb (late 2009)".  Various other people seem to refer to this as "7th Gen", "8th Gen", "6th Gen 2nd Revision", etc. etc.  If you want to know more about the differences between the various versions of the classic then this is a very useful article...
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/apple-ipod-classic-late-2008-120gb-late-2009-160GB/P0

Anyway, the good news is that it's working fine with MC15.

There were a couple of minor hiccups along the way but nothing too bad.  Here are the details...

When I first connected the iPod to my PC I got a message saying that the iPod was formatted for a Mac and needed to be reformatted in order to work with Windows.  I was then automatically taken to iTunes (v9) where, with some trepidation, I did a Restore of my iPod as instructed (which automatically updated my iPod software to v2.0.4).  I also gave the iPod a name and clicked a couple of tick-boxes to stop iTunes from reorganising my media files or firing up automatically whenever the iPod was connected to the PC.

I then closed down iTunes and fired up MC15.  MC15 recognised the iPod as drive K: but gave me a warning message saying that it had been formatted by another app and may not be compatible with MC.  I pressed ahead nonetheless, set up the sync options for the iPod and tried a sample sync of one of my play-lists.  Half-way through the sync the iPod seemed to disconnnect from the PC and then reconnect itself, this time as drive H: rather than drive K:.  At this stage I noticed that MC15 had lost the iPod's name and the sync settings that I had given it when it had been mounted as drive K:.  I re-entered the sync settings and name and then went ahead with a full sync of 70Gb of music.  This went through seamlessly and the music was all visible and played fine on the iPod.  I have since used MC15 to put hundreds of photos and a number of videos onto the iPod, all without any problems.

All this was done yesterday and hopefully my iPod will now carry on playing nicely with MC15.  I don't anticipate having any problems with it from now on but if I do then I'll report them here.

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2010, 03:56:44 pm »

Just bought an iPod Classic 160 GB today, plugged it in to MC 14 (no iTunes in sight), MC suggested initialise so I did then it synced 13K tracks beautifully and works like a dream.  Seems too easy but when something goes so well experience tells me there's always a catch, so what's the catch :)
JLee

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2010, 04:07:49 pm »

Just bought an iPod Classic 160 GB today, plugged it in to MC 14 (no iTunes in sight), MC suggested initialise so I did then it synced 13K tracks beautifully and works like a dream.  Seems too easy but when something goes so well experience tells me there's always a catch, so what's the catch :)

No catch today.

risingdamp

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2010, 04:19:33 am »

Lol.  Yes it does seem to be working very nicely indeed, in fact I'm havign less trouble with this than I had with my 4th or 5th gen 80GB or whatever it was called.
JLee

sample

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2019, 06:14:13 pm »

I've been using a 16Gb Classic through MC for quite some time successfully. The large capacity and ability to hook to my car's head unit without using the mini jack is a winner for me. You can even use the replay gain if you want to. I don't even have itunes on my machine  ;D .

Jim mentioned how JRiver is not committing to keeping up to date with the iPod due to the fact that Apple doesn't play well with others, but so far I'm still good. I do suggest, however, that if you choose to still have iTunes, save the install program for the version that you use so that after Apple updates and causes problems, you can uninstall it and reinstall the older version. You will still need iTunes for firmware updates but hey, if it ain't broke, why update the firmware.

Hey there,

This is a long shot I know but I have the same ipod as you and its on the latest firmware (2.0.4) I have searched the web for an older version but no luck. Could you help me out by telling me which version of the firmware you are running yours on? or perhaps even share the file with me so I too can roll it back? Thanks a lot!
Pages: [1]   Go Up