INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library auto Sync from remote Drive. Also, device connection for WASAPI question  (Read 2427 times)

ssabripo

• Recent member

Hi,
I'm about to purchase MC14, and have been playing with it for a couple of days.  One thing that I noticed is, I have all my music in a server drive upstairs, and I'm using J river in my laptop downstairs hooked up to my high end system.  When I download or rip new music in the music directory in my server drive upstairs, the J river client doesn't seem to automatically pick up the new songs when I start the client.

what gives?  ?

I've gone thru the options, and also in the library options, and have "Run Auto-import in background" set to ON, and yet it doesn't seem to pick up the new stuff....I have to manually tell it to reload the new stuff, etc.

anyone have some tips on this?

Also, another question, the laptop is set to play out 192khz content out to my Musiland USB device (which supports it), and I have it configured all correctly.  
However, since I connect/disconnect my laptop and move it around the house to do other things, when I reconnect it to the Musiland, J River doesn't go back to using this device, but rather stays in "Default".

kinda frustrating, because that means everytime I connect my laptop for playback, I have to go and set it up again, before playing....  

Is there a way of setting J river to always try to pick up a particular device first, and then default to something else if it doesn't find it?

thanks in advance.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Thanks for thinking about purchasing.

#1  Go to Tools/Import/Autoimport.  You'll see a list of directories.  You can add to the list or you can edit.  The one you want "watched" needs to be there, and the settings for it need to be correct.

#2  In Windows Control Panel, Sounds, you can tell the OS which sound device is your default.  I'm not sure how well it will handle a situation where you're disconnecting and reconnecting frequently.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

For #2, have you tried picking the device from Options > Playback > Output mode settings...

This will store a unique system ID for the device.  If plugging the device back in causes the system ID to change, we're out of luck.  But this isn't very common, at least if you always use the same USB port.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ssabripo

• Recent member

#1  Go to Tools/Import/Autoimport.  You'll see a list of directories.  You can add to the list or you can edit.  The one you want "watched" needs to be there, and the settings for it need to be correct.
aha...the server directory is not there! perfect!!! hope this works.  ;)

Quote from: JimH
#2  In Windows Control Panel, Sounds, you can tell the OS which sound device is your default.  I'm not sure how well it will handle a situation where you're disconnecting and reconnecting frequently.
correct, I have it set as "default", so when not connected, it goes back to using the laptop speakers....not sure what's going on, but I think Matt is onto something with the USB port being unique!
For #2, have you tried picking the device from Options > Playback > Output mode settings...

This will store a unique system ID for the device.  If plugging the device back in causes the system ID to change, we're out of luck.  But this isn't very common, at least if you always use the same USB port.
that makes sense Matt....good to try. Will do that next.  Hopefully this works.

btw, microsoft should take a lesson or two from J river in terms of functionality and features! Great product and looks like I will be buying (for me that's a HUGE thing, since I almost never pay for software...LOL).
Why would Microsoft design WASAPI, and not have it available on their WMP or MCE? sheesh.
/rant

ssabripo

• Recent member

by the way, for those interested, here is what the system looks like currently  :-*

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/3268/audioconnectionsssabrip.jpg

ssabripo

• Recent member

sorry, one more question:

I disabled the "green" button on the remote settings to launch MCE, so that part works.  But I tried to search the forum and didn't see an answer for this:

Is there a way to set the remote (using a generic MCE remote at the moment) to LAUNCH J river automatically (like the green button did on windows)?  Right now, I have to open J River, and then the green button puts it in Media Center "Theater" mode, but wanted to see if there is a way to program it to launch J river from scratch into theater mode with the green button.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

I think you want to enable Media Server.

It's in Options, here:
Options > Startup > Run on Windows startup: Media Server

ssabripo

• Recent member

I think you want to enable Media Server.

It's in Options, here:
Options > Startup > Run on Windows startup: Media Server
wouldn't that cause J river Media Server to run at every login/new startup of the laptop? or does it only start a background process listener, in which case it allows you to start the actual client later?  ?

JimH

• Administrator

by the way, for those interested, here is what the system looks like currently  :-*

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/3268/audioconnectionsssabrip.jpg
Nice toys!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

wouldn't that cause J river Media Server to run at every login/new startup of the laptop? or does it only start a background process listener, in which case it allows you to start the actual client later?  ?

Media Server is our name for the component that can run in the background to support listening to remotes, servers (if you're using any), and television recording.

It is the same process as Media Center, but runs with many pieces unloaded (like skinning, playback, and many more).

ssabripo

• Recent member

Media Server is our name for the component that can run in the background to support listening to remotes, servers (if you're using any), and television recording.

It is the same process as Media Center, but runs with many pieces unloaded (like skinning, playback, and many more).
Oh outstanding!!!!!!!! thank you good sir!  8)

ssabripo

• Recent member

outsanding....it is working now! thanks again for all your info.

Ok, one final little hickup before I buy this thing:  All my albums have the art cover, and WMP confirms this by showing them.  Why is it that some of them are not showing up on MC14?

how to fix it?  ?

JimH

• Administrator

What format are you using?  MP3?

How is the art stored for the ones that MC doesn't see?

ssabripo

• Recent member

What format are you using?  MP3?

How is the art stored for the ones that MC doesn't see?
they are stored within the tags (IDv3) with MP3s, and not sure how it is saved in FLAC.... I use WMP (win7) to get album info from FLAC files that have it missing, and they successfully appear in WMP.  Some of them do show up in MC14, and others dont.  Not sure if MC14 is searching it's own database when not finding the art cover the way it likes it or what.

JimH

• Administrator

FLAC can contain tags, with cover art possible.

WMP can use folder.jpg.  So can MC.

There is an article on cover art in our wiki.

The best approach might be to track down the cover art for a file that isn't showing it in MC.

ssabripo

• Recent member

I am now officially part of the J river family! just purchased the MC14 license, full retail.

for those who are on the fence, you cannot best the vast amount of flexibilty, performance, and adjustability this thing provides you.  Coming from a person who usually never "buys" software, I had no issues paying for this.

8)

Microsoft should learn a thing or two from these folks on how to create a powerful media center.

Cheers!

JimH

• Administrator

Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up