INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Add new keyword or genre etc doesn't respect view scheme filters  (Read 1856 times)

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Add new keyword or genre etc doesn't respect view scheme filters
« on: February 11, 2010, 05:23:20 pm »

When I set up a view scheme, say for Recipes, I include only those files that have the genre Recipes or "recipes" is in the filename.

So here I am in this view, and I find that I have to add a subgenre or keywords to one of the files.  When I select "add new subgenre" in the pane, I get the list of all subgenres ever used in my entire database. That includes all subgenres for woodworking, software, etc. It's a huge list. Why does this list not respect the filters in the view scheme? Is it supposed to and it just isn't working?
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

Lasse_Lus

Re: Add new keyword or genre etc doesn't respect view scheme filters
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 05:29:16 pm »

MC is built on Audio, Video, Images, Data and TV as different projects, so therefore you will see it as you do...until it's based on "projects"/"album"...use custom fields

however, MC exclude stuff you don't have tagged in your view (with that selection) so if you have a view with "not filter in both directions" you will see something like this

so you go from right --> left --> right  :D
MT5FR

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 05:39:42 pm »

Thanks for the response. Can I clarify something?
This particular database is for Documents (not music, pictures, etc), BUT I also have to include photos and podcasts etc because when I'm looking at the woodworking genre, for example, I want ALL woodworking stuff including tv shows, podcasts and photos of stuff I made, not just pdfs etc.  Ditto for Recipes, Software, etc.

Basically, I have all my view schemes and smarlists set to look at Genre, subgenre and keywords. Those are my basic fields. Are you saying that I need to create custom Woodworking subgenre and keyword fields, and custom Recipe subgenre and keyword fields? Basically custom fields for each type of genre if I want to limit the lists so that I can easily tag them consistently?
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 05:47:22 pm »

photos and podcasts is equal to audio and images...everything is based on the flags you see in the manage database fields.. there have been a lot of discussions about it ..but "we" have to respect JR crew and we  can't do much about it.

but you have to make your own choices here, i divide everything in projects (not media type) therefore i have to create new custom fields for them, except for the default fields i use

but Lise, i have wondered this myself so you are not alone :-) in a smartlist your selection will be respected based on your first selection/choice (divided with a dotted line)  though but only for "string fields" not for lists
MT5FR

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 01:04:21 am »

When I set up a view scheme, say for Recipes, I include only those files that have the genre Recipes or "recipes" is in the filename.

So here I am in this view, and I find that I have to add a subgenre or keywords to one of the files.  When I select "add new subgenre" in the pane, I get the list of all subgenres ever used in my entire database. That includes all subgenres for woodworking, software, etc. It's a huge list. Why does this list not respect the filters in the view scheme? Is it supposed to and it just isn't working?
lise, this needs to be this way, imvho, of course.

Often, when I'm tagging using the keywords pane, I need a keyword I know I have, but is not in the pane as none of the files listed have that keyword yet. In this case, I can choose "Add New" and find my keyword in the list and select it as a "new" keyword. I like this approach as it avoids typos, capitalisation / plural differences from creeping into the list spoiling searches later down the line.

-marko

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 09:47:11 am »

MC is built on Audio, Video, Images, Data and TV as different projects, so therefore you will see it as you do...until it's based on "projects"/"album"...use custom fields

Ah, I think I finally understand what you were saying.

I couldn't figure out why my list of subgenres kept changing.

When I select Woodworking in the tree, the list of subgenres is exactly as it should be, ie it displays all subgenres (and only those subgenres) used by all files in the Woodworking scheme.

I then selected one item in the list and clicked "add subgenre". The highlighted items are not to be found in my Woodworking subgenres, and some that should be there are missing.

Then I selected another item in the list and got the following list of available subgenres:

What I noticed is that it depends on the filetype.  That first selection was a bmp, and the other was a clf file (custom ListPro Lists association).  So the list displayed goes by filetype and nothing else; or rather not so much by filetype per se, but whether an item is a picture, a video, etc.  Sorry it took me so long to figure this out, Lasse_lus!

This is really too bad for my purposes. I thought for sure that limiting the files in a view scheme really limited everything displayed there. It would make tagging so much easier if it did work that way. Then when I was in my Classical Music view scheme, I would have the genres and subgenres and keywords I use for Classical Music. If I wanted all genres/subgenres/keywords used for all Music files I could just create my tagging scheme directly under Audio (which would address your issue, Marko).

It would be great if a future version truly respected the view schemes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up