INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound stops working on my computer when I use MJ  (Read 1007 times)

Abby

Sound stops working on my computer when I use MJ
« on: June 30, 2002, 08:05:03 am »

I have a PIII/1GB, 512MB RAM, Win2k Pro with a Turtle Beach Montego sound card and a Matrox G450eTV tuner card.  When I use MJ, after listening to MP3s for a minute or two, all audio stops working on my computer.  Audio will not work *anywhere* as if the sound card is locked up.  No windows system sounds, no winamp, windowsmedia player, etc.  The audio players will just sit at the current position (clock doesn't increase) and no sound comes out - as if they're hung.

I saw this problem on MJ7 so I upgraded to MJ8 (whatever version was on your site yesterday), but saw the same problem there.  I uninstalled MJ8 and now my audio seems to be working again.

Okay, all of that said - there is one really weird thing here.  When my audio stops working in all of the audio players, I can still get audio to work in one situation, which is when I start the Matrox VCR program (tv tuner program).  I thought it was a device conflict - but as soon as I uninstalled MJ8 I can use both the Matrox TV Tuner stuff and WinAmp/whatever other audio players and all seems to work.  I don't know, maybe the TV tuner code has a different way to get at the soundcard?  

Am desperate for good MP3 software, and MJ seems to have what I want - except am lost on this problem.  Help, please!

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Sound stops working on my computer when I use MJ
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2002, 08:09:14 am »

It's possibly a problem with DirectX or the implementation by the sound card manufacturer.

Try switching to Wave Out.  MJ Settings/Options/Playback.

But, if you're using Wave Out, try DirectX.

Updating your sound card driver might solve it.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Abby

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2002, 09:28:55 am »

Thank you for such a quick response!

I reinstalled MJ8 and rebooted.  I first tried Wave Out, but that didn't work.  Then I tried DirectSound, but no luck there either.  It is actually failing *immediately* now - before it at least played for a few seconds.

I have DirectX 8.1, which should be the latest version.  But, I can't do much about sound card drivers as Turtle Beach doesn't provide Win2K drivers for the Montego cards (it just uses Win2K's Aureal drivers).  I'm going to see if I can get another soundcard in here and try that - will let you know what I find.

Abby

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2002, 12:23:33 pm »

It seems to be working now.  I switched to the Santa Cruz soundcard, and the problem hasn't repeated itself so far.  I figure the final test will be posting this and seeing if I jynx myself... :)

Thanks for the help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up