INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: WebRemote (MC15) -- Control MC with a Touch, Android, or WinMobile Device  (Read 48870 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Requires the ip address for the MediaCenter computer.  I could not use the Windows name, which is unfortunate because the IP address of the MediaCenter computer might change through DHCP. 
Thanks for the kind words.

You could set your DHCP server to reserve an address (range) and then give your DLNA machine a fixed IP address, etc.

cnm_mike

• Recent member

I can't seem to figure out how to show "connected media" using the remote. Is there something I am missing in the setup or has this not been implemented yet?
thx,
Mike

adamsp70

• World Citizen
  • Unwired for sound...

Does it - or will it eventually have - a "refresh" link for Smartlists? Otherwise they stick with the same tracks until you next go to MC proper.

Cheers!

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

Have I told you guys Latelly You are The BOMB?

I Just Tried this On My New HTC HD2...This is so Fricken SWEET!!! and im so impressed... loads large libraries with ease.

few questions if i may?  is there away to get rid of the (my opinion) ugly green? and make it black?

also My NUMBER One Request\WISH... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE is there away for you guys to allow ratings? for years ive been telling friends during parties here, i wanted the ability to control jriver from a cell phone (which it now does- Thank You SOooo Much) We have parties here almost every weekend. and alot of times i play playlists of never listened to, and want to 5 star a song. and some nights. i find myself going into the house 30-60 times just because someone thinks a song is awesome and wants it 5 star'd. I would PAY for a 5 star system on this webremote on top of my jriver annual purchase!

One Last Thing.. And I Know It doesnt belong here. do you guys offer anything IDENTICAL to webremote but for our cellphones for when we are away from home? meaning i could log into webremote(or what ever is needed) with my cell and stream my music, Movies etc to my phone while i'm in my car, or at hotels etc..?

I Can't say Thanks Enough, THANKS!!!

HTPC4ME

Just An FYI... GF has a iphone. set this up on hers as well, after a few cocktails we were debating about who's phone's color  display is a better picture, and who's phone is just cooler (hey but look what mine can do) and i noticed on her iphone the artists covers were always coming up. since this afternoon ive been using webremote, and i'd say 3\4 of the time the cover art would disappear leaving a white square, then i would have to hit playing now again then it would reload the image... My gf's iphone not once lost the image... Not sure if this helps in determing the covert issue, seems like on my htc that it mine be loosing connection while song is playing? or date drop until it feels me press the screen again maybe? or maybe its just not holding onto the covert within the app? i should note everything else is fine its just a dissapearing cover art.

the iphone... also when she leaves her internet browser, to go to another app and then returns back, it remembers where she was. on the htc hd2 if i leave opera and then come back after phone call etc... it brings me back to main webremote screen then i have to click playing now. so it's not remembering its last position for some reason?

ohhh and its been voted upon (9 people here now) Webremote Needs a 5 Star Option :D

raym

• MC Beta Team

I don't see a way to search yet?? This is one thing I would like to request.

I'm really loving WebRemote  :)
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

I also find on my HTC HD2 using Opera that
1) not all thumbs appear
2) that I have to close Opera and restart after a period of inactivity else I can no longer browse WebRemote at all

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

jack_knowle

• Recent member

WebRemote working on my Nokia N97 Mini (symbian), using default browser.  For some reason it wouldn't let me use the MC15 server name, had to use IP address instead (can use server name in chrome on windows 7).  Haven't found a problem yet, back to playing...

zxsix

• MC Beta Team

WebRemote working on my Nokia N97 Mini (symbian), using default browser.  For some reason it wouldn't let me use the MC15 server name, had to use IP address instead (can use server name in chrome on windows 7).  Haven't found a problem yet, back to playing...

That's a function of DNS.  I know nothing of Symbian's operating system, but if there's a screen that displays network config such as IP address, gateway IP address, subnet, DNS ip address, DNS2 ip address  that would be helpful.
In order to recognize your MC server name, it has to talk to the correct DNS server and ask it for the IP address related to that name.
Either it's not set up to ask the correct DNS server.
If I had to make a blind guess, it's set up to talk to an internet DNS server, which would not know anything about your local IP address and your local MC server name.
You'd have to configure it to talk to an internal DNS server which would have an IP address similar (all but the last number) as your MC server's ip address for it to work.

HTPC4ME

Jmone. i just noticed tonight during bonfire.. when ever htc hd2 goes to sleep then i wanna change song thats when webremote looses sync and cover arts.... maybe there is a way for us to keep our htc's running when they turn off screen so that its always accessing the webremote server?  i noticed if i keep clicking anywhere on screen to keep it from dimming or going to sleep, that thumbs and music info and interface keep up perfectly... any ideas?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

I know it is annoying - I had the similar thought...as I see that when the HTC comes back from sleep it re-establishes the WiFI connection and that Opera does not like this (mmmm I might try IE and see if it also has this problem)
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

IE does not want to use my intrenal network so I'm trying changing the WiFi settings --> Power Save Mode: from the middle setting to "Best Performance"
JRiver CEO Elect

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile

Loving WebRemote on my handheld (android).  I'd love to be able to use it when watching movies.  Any thoughts of adding "jump ahead" and "reverse"?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

WinMo 6.5 (HTC HD2) Sleep Issue:  When the HTC HD2 is put into sleep mode (by timeout) or by pressing off "off" button once it disables the WiFi connection to save battery power.  When the HTC HD2 comes back from sleep mode the WiFi connection is re-establed.  Unfortunately the Web Browsers (tested with Opera, Opera 10, IE Mobile) all complain that the web site can not be found.  You have to exit and restart the browser (refreshing the page is not enough).  I don't know if this is something that can be "fixed" by JR.....however for now:

Workaround:  There are two workarounds if you want to use WebRemote over a period of time
1) Uncheck "Turn off Device if not used for:" in Settings --> Battery & Backlight
2) Got to love XDA-Developers forum!  There is a thread here discussing the issue and with success (for some) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=5353195

Note: Having WiFi on all the time will impact battery life.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

I also notice that on the same phone the version of Opera that come in the OS can resolve the PC name fine, but for IE and Opera 10 I have to use the internal IP address....any ideas?
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

lol... 2 funny just found his... app =
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=524490&page=3

yet to try it... on my way.

u flash your htc yet jmone?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

I've always flashed my WinMo (was a Dutty fan) roms but this stock one is not too bad so only flashed the radio ROM so far (fixed an issue with the GPS).  The tweaks to keep WiFi active are not working well for me (some reports suggested it does not work with the later radio roms).....Have you flashed one yet?

Also WebRemote is very very quick with Opera10 (but the screen is too wide).
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

just got in from outside... will try the app tomm just checked im on opera 9.7 (do you suggest i update to 10 Jmone?)..

i just flashed for first time yesterday using TOUCH_X_TREME_23563_EURO_AND_TMOUS_576RAM_2_30_6_30 comes with cookietabs and chteditor. LOVIN IT!  alot quicker! and battery seems to be lasting alot better. also new radio rom i'm using is Radio_2.10.50.08_2 alot louder and clearer calls. then from outta the box.

out of curiosity do u have a large jriver library? ive noticed if i chose genres\playlists, it works great. but if i choose artists, albums. opera falls on its face....just spins.

suggestion... we ran into tonight on top of ratings ;D.

is view playing now list... is there away for webremote to automatically bring you to where to are in the playing now list when ya view it?  we were playing music for hours 2nite, and then we wanted to see what songs were coming up but it brings us to the beginning of when ya first started playing. so you have to scroll forever and keep your eyes peeled to find the song that last played, in order to see what songs are next. possible to make playing now show the list from the song lat played when we go to it?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

just got in from outside... will try the app tomm just checked im on opera 9.7 (do you suggest i update to 10 Jmone?)..

10 is very quick and is a side by side intall so if you don't like it just uninstall it.  I like it but the rendering of the WebRemote page is different and is no longer "fits" horisontally.

i just flashed for first time yesterday using TOUCH_X_TREME_23563_EURO_AND_TMOUS_576RAM_2_30_6_30 comes with cookietabs and chteditor. LOVIN IT!  alot quicker! and battery seems to be lasting alot better. also new radio rom i'm using is Radio_2.10.50.08_2 alot louder and clearer calls. then from outta the box.
  I'm on 2.10 as well and HSPL'ed it.  Just need to find a rom series I want to try...

out of curiosity do u have a large jriver library? ive noticed if i chose genres\playlists, it works great. but if i choose artists, albums. opera falls on its face....just spins.
  Note large but it took about 20 seconds to go to the list view after selecting all Audio 5K Files and is still buidling the list and downloaded the thumbnails and will for many minutes I guess.  Anyway Opera 10 does not stall on it.

Also I seem to have WiFi on all the time now (I tried a few methods but the last one on the page I linked to above, seems to be holding) an a rapidly diminishing battery!

JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

I like it but the rendering of the WebRemote page is different and is no longer "fits" horisontally.
is this something we could fix? or jriver maybe? i doubt we'll get opera to do it?!

Also I seem to have WiFi on all the time now (I tried a few methods but the last one on the page I linked to above, seems to be holding) an a rapidly diminishing battery!
did u do just the reg tweak? or download that app. that link i posted(ive yet to try it been busy with clients) says that there is an app. so basically when ya wanna use webremote ya would turn the app on which would enable the wifi in standby, and then once done with webremote you would just disable that app. I think. will try to get to playin with it later this eve.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

is this something we could fix? or jriver maybe? i doubt we'll get opera to do it?!
JR are makeing lots of changes so I hope so!

did u do just the reg tweak? or download that app. that link i posted(ive yet to try it been busy with clients) says that there is an app. so basically when ya wanna use webremote ya would turn the app on which would enable the wifi in standby, and then once done with webremote you would just disable that app. I think. will try to get to playin with it later this eve.

I did one of the tweaks and found that:
1) The battery drain of having WiFi on all the time was terrible
2) That if I moved away from range and came back in again the issue with WebRemote not working still occurs

For now, I'm currently trying the MortScript in Post #66 at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=6289179#post6289179 that lets you toggle this on and off in real time.

Soln: MC WebRemote must be using some form of session ID that is reset when the WiFi connection reconnects.  I'm hoping that this can be changed so WebRemote funtions just like any other web site.

FYI - I've also flashed my HD2, I picked Duttys_Leo_Sense_2.5_5.2.21901.5.0.92_2.11_Radio_2.10.50.19_2_HG_V2.2_EN - hoping for a simple, stable ROM without all the bloat....
JRiver CEO Elect

Ripper

• Junior Woodchuck

I have read the Wiki instructions on Web Remote, but I am afraid that I do not understand how to set it up.  I just would like to get it to run on my Motrola Droid (and my iPod Touch, too, if possible).  I am not sure what I have to do in the Options/Network setting.  Would you please help?

Thanks.

WebRemote is a way to control Media Center or an attached DLNA device using a web browser.

The current implementation is designed to look good on mobile devices like a Google phone, iPhone, etc.  The system is template and skin based, so other designs are possible.

JRiver DLNA servers and renderers, visible in Windows Explorer > Network, will also expose WebRemote on right-click > "View device webpage".

Please see the WebRemote Instructions on our Wiki.

JimH

• Administrator

What have you done, and where do you get stuck?  What happens?

Try connecting from a local browser.  MC will do that for you in the network settings section.

Ripper

• Junior Woodchuck

I was able to open the interface from my local brower, but I can't figure out how to open that browser on my Droid or my iPod Touch.  In other words, it works fine on the desktop computer that is running MC15, but I don't know how to get that browser on the Droid or the iPod Touch.

Thanks.

What have you done, and where do you get stuck?  What happens?

Try connecting from a local browser.  MC will do that for you in the network settings section.

JimH

• Administrator

You just replace the address that worked locally.  Change localhost to the IP address of the machine you're connecting to.

Ripper

• Junior Woodchuck

Sorry for my silly question (my technical skills have waned), but how do I know the IP address of my Droid (it's just an Android cell phone, not a computer) or my iPod Touch (same idea)?

Thanks.

You just replace the address that worked locally.  Change localhost to the IP address of the machine you're connecting to.

JimH

• Administrator

You don't need to know it.

On the server, run a CMD window and type ipconfig.

Ripper

• Junior Woodchuck

I typed it, and a command-prompt window opened, displayed some text, and quickly disappeared.  I am not sure what to do.  Don't I have to do something on my Droid and my iPod Touch, too?

You don't need to know it.

On the server, run a CMD window and type ipconfig.

HTPC4ME

ripper.. what i did was opened jriver tools settings network (providing you have newest version) if not get it.

once open look for the port jriver is using. on mine its 52198

then login to your router\modem. and goto port options and open that port number (52198) then go back to jriver settings manage access to server click on test connection. also ya need share your library, playlists, dlna server, dlna renderer, dlna controller checked\ticked.

in your cellphone browser(safari, opera, Ie, etc..)  type in your ip addess with jim's instructions(, mine for example when i open my browser on my htc hd2 . is 192.167,8,136:52198/webplay this is saved as a bookmark for me so when i click on it it automatically opens jriver webplay for... if i'm AT HOME, if away from home you would use a diffrent ip.

If i want to use my phone to control jriver AT HOME ON PC not play it on phone i would use webremote... 192.167.8.136:52198/webremote

If i want to use my phone to listen to jriver ON MY PC not play it on PC i would use webplay... 192.167.8.136:52198/webplay

192.167.8.136 = ip address on router for jriver library of the computer i want to listen to or control while in my HOME network.

52198 = port number that i opened in my router\modem, and the port number in jriver network settings... look here to open your ports.  http://portforward.com/

/webremote = what ya wanna connect to .. webremote to control your jriver while around the house.. meaning listening to music vids etc ya can use your cell phones to change the songs volume etc on the PC..not STREAMINNG.

/webplay = streaming your files from the pc you chose from the ip you wrote in to your device browser.. so listening to music\vids pics etc on your device streamed from your jriver pc.

maybe this helps?

HTPC4ME

in windows seven.start button in search type cmd enter. black box opens where its flashing in box type ipconfig then where it says ip address copy that.

also read my previous post for the rest of directions,port forwarding instructions and explanations, etc...

i have to run for few hrs. but someone else will be help to help ya from there.

Good luck

JimH

• Administrator

I typed it, and a command-prompt window opened, displayed some text, and quickly disappeared.  I am not sure what to do.  Don't I have to do something on my Droid and my iPod Touch, too?

Windows Key and R brings up Run.  Then type CMD.  Type exit to close.

debt_collector

• Recent member

Is it possible to search my library or press the first letter of an artist's name to skip to it? At the moment I am scralling down to get to artist further down the list and that's pretty inconvenient (I have a pretty large music library)! Any tips are appreciated...

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Anyone worked out how to add a Streaming Radio Station to WebRemote?  In the WebRemote Views, "Connected Media" does not appear.  Also tried to add it to a Playlist as a workaround but could not work that out either!

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

HiFiTubes

After port forwarding, should I be able to open with Safari on my iPhone using the web location on LAN?

hifi

WebRemote is a way to control Media Center or an attached DLNA device using a web browser.

The current implementation is designed to look good on mobile devices like a Google phone, iPhone, etc.  The system is template and skin based, so other designs are possible.

JRiver DLNA servers and renderers, visible in Windows Explorer > Network, will also expose WebRemote on right-click > "View device webpage".

Please see the WebRemote Instructions on our Wiki.

JimH

• Administrator

Port forwarding is usually used to forward requests from outside your local network.  It shouldn't be needed if both client and server are on the local network.

HiFiTubes

Port forwarding is usually used to forward requests from outside your local network.  It shouldn't be needed if both client and server are on the local network.

I turned on the Library Server in 15 and tried the web location w/ my iPhone. The page wouldn't open, so I tried port forwarding as a long shot.

So it should work? I'll have to dig into again tonight.

I did get the my other PC connected with the access key; lots of changes but good to see.

Tried PlugPlayer again with DLNA; PlugPlayer is TERRIBLE for searching and it crashes constantly.

hifi

JimH

• Administrator

I turned on the Library Server in 15 and tried the web location w/ my iPhone. The page wouldn't open, so I tried port forwarding as a long shot.
On the same page, check the options for DLNA on the right.  Library Server won't stream to the iPhone. 

HiFiTubes

On the same page, check the options for DLNA on the right.  Library Server won't stream to the iPhone. 

I'm only interest in iPhone as remote, thus access to the web location WebRemote on Safari vs buggy PlugPlayer.

thanks
hifi

JimH

• Administrator

WebRemote requires DLNA.   Those are the checkboxes on the right in the Network section of options.

iwf

• Junior Woodchuck

Anybody doing anything about improving the web interface. Don't get me wrong, being able to control Mc from a browser is just great but I could think of a couple of ways of combining controls.

Would i be right in thinking it's just a case of changes either some xml or html pages?

cairngorm

• Recent member

I'm only interest in iPhone as remote, thus access to the web location WebRemote on Safari vs buggy PlugPlayer.

thanks
hifi

Thats all I wanted as well, I tried all the info on here but a full day later I was still none the wiser. I eventually found an IPhone App called Rivermote that controls MC from my Iphone. Its early days but although it appears to work very well, it's not a patch on the VLC app which does EVERYTHING I need and more (using VLC player obviously).

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Rivermote is written by a forum member here and it does work pretty well (it has been out for quite some time, actually).  Unfortunately, using Rivermote does require that you always launch MC via the little RiverMote server instead of directly, which is troublesome for me.  If you forget and launch MC with your mouse or via any other means, then it won't work at all.

I'd really like to see a version of it work via the new web-based interface, and not require a server-side app at all.  Actually, it should be possible with some simple scripting calls to make it work with AirMouse as well.  I have this working right now just using keyboard shortcuts, but that only works if MC is in the foreground, and performance is bad.

The best thing would be a simple and well designed iPhone app that looks like a nice remote control and that simply uses the new MCWS interface, so it doesn't require anything server-side other than enabling the Library Server.

Thats all I wanted as well, I tried all the info on here but a full day later I was still none the wiser. I eventually found an IPhone App called Rivermote that controls MC from my Iphone. Its early days but although it appears to work very well, it's not a patch on the VLC app which does EVERYTHING I need and more (using VLC player obviously).

I'm pretty sure Jim figured out your issue in the other thread.  The other possibilities are:

1. that you are trying to reach your copy of MC on your iPhone while NOT connected to your WiFi network (via the cellular network).  If this is the case, you'd need to open that port on your router.
2. that the Windows Firewall is blocking the connection.  Try turning it off temporarily (you have a firewall on your router anyway) to see if this is the case.

I can confirm that using the new WebRemote functionality works well.  With the current build, it should not be hard to set up at all.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Robo983

• World Citizen

It works well and easy to set up on iPhone. Never use plug player now with this.

I found it easier to launch the PC webremote, then copy the link and IM or email it to my phone. Then just replace "localhost" with the IP of the PC running the MC server and DNLA host.

PP takes too long at times to see servers and renders. Never had problems you mention after JR fixed the stop message being sent to PP.

cairngorm

• Recent member

It works well and easy to set up on iPhone. Never use plug player now with this.

I found it easier to launch the PC webremote, then copy the link and IM or email it to my phone. Then just replace "localhost" with the IP of the PC running the MC server and DNLA host.

PP takes too long at times to see servers and renders. Never had problems you mention after JR fixed the stop message being sent to PP.

After all the messing about I tried this, clicked the link on my Iphone and it took me straight to my webremote page.... brilliant BUT, although I can now scroll through my library, nothing will play? I have MC open but when I select "play" on my Iphone nothing happens?

cairngorm

• Recent member

After all the messing about I tried this, clicked the link on my Iphone and it took me straight to my webremote page.... brilliant BUT, although I can now scroll through my library, nothing will play? I have MC open but when I select "play" on my Iphone nothing happens?

Can anyone help me understand this? I can now see and interact with webremote from my iphone but when I select "play" nothing happens?

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

I played around with WebRemote for the first time today, and got it working on my iPod Touch to control my PC and Roku Soundbridge.  I must say this is a very cool and impressive feature.  My initial attempts didn't work because I needed to configure the port on my router. Eventually, I figured out where to add the port in the router software so that MC15 could communicate with it. 

After I was able to run MC15 from the Touch, all I had to do to control the Roku Soundbridge was to change the Zone from Zone1 (PC Speakers) to Roku Soundbridge on the WebRemote screen.  Using the Touch with WebRemote makes for a much better remote to control the Soundbridge.  The Soundbridge is hard to see from where I sit when I listen to music.  Now, I can look down at the iPod Touch screen and run from there.  I love being able to see the album art too.  Thanks guys!  ;D

HTPC4ME

Jmone.... any success with webremote\WIFI staying on when your htc goes to sleep?  ive FINALLY found a rom i'm happy with and looking to conquer this wifi issue. if it works on iphone's its gotta be able to work on our winmob devices!?

thanks

HiFiTubes

Loads okay on iPhone but many issues:

no videos actually play
songs load but somsound like 56kbps mp3
songs won't load and won't play; have to skip ahead often
no cover art or info of what song is playing
you tube app wouldn't work until I closed safari windows which had loaded QuickTime

maybe these are the limitations for iPhone use; I don't know.

humanzoo

Is it possible to remove songs from the Playing Now list?

I have Webremote working well.  Definitely need to group if you have a large library.  I had to stop the server, click out and then start the server again for some of my changes to appear.  To anyone using Firefox - Try checking your changes in another browser if it seems like nothing is happening.  Firefox can be brutal with it's caching, refreshing is not enough to update the screen.

ewingr

• Junior Woodchuck

Is this still active. No posts for a long time. Guess I'll give it a try  ;D

I'm currently on V12, but looking at this, I like the idea of using the WebRemote to use my phone.

I have installed V15 latest version as of today, and set up the settings per the instructions. I can see the web site when using the Localhost type  link on the PC.

I have also opened the port on the firewall on the PC. I'm tryiing to get to this laptop with the phone over wireless.

I am unable to get to it. I even turned the firewall off on the laptop to eliminate that as a cause.

I am entering http://192.168.0.5:52199/WebRemote/, but getting address unavailable in the Opera Browser.

Any suggestions?

[EDIT]
I got it going. I finally opened the port on my wireless router.  :-[

Thanks
Roger
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up