INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to change the tree icons  (Read 3714 times)

kurushi

• Citizen of the Universe
How to change the tree icons
« on: March 30, 2010, 03:00:18 pm »

Hi,
For those who want to tweaks the icons just go to :
C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 15\Data\Default Art

And edit the "SmallIcons.png" file.
For those who use some dark skins u can just to invert the colour, it 's fast & easy.
Remember to save you're file because when you update MC it 'll overwrite you're work.
In this folder there are good toys to play for skinning purpose:D

I think many of you known this trick but it can be usefull for others.
Here the result om my latest Dark skin and the ^diabolik^ light:

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: How to change the tree icons
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 02:08:03 am »

kurushi,

Here's another tip for you...

Have a look in the "Default Art" folder. If you see images there that you'd prefer to use custom icons for, then go back up into the "Data" folder and create a new folder called "Custom Art"
Now create your custom images and save them into your new "Custom Art" folder, using the same file names as used in the default art folder.
MC will now use your custom images instead of the default ones, and you won't need to worry about update installations over writing your custom images, they will always be used as long as they are there.

The "SmallIcons.png" file can be a little more complex. Below, I've replicated instructions I posted elsewhere for customising only the small "Stack" icons that are part of the SmallIcons.png file. They're quite easy to follow, and therefore, easy to apply to any other subset of the SmallIcons file you care to customise.

For the stack icon list column

* Create a folder called "Custom Resources" in the "Data" folder you find in the MC program files directory.
    * Create a new text file inside your "Custom Resources" folder and name it "Images.xml"
    * Paste the following text into the Images.xml file and save the changes.

<Images>
  <SmallThumbStackTopCollapsed>0</SmallThumbStackTopCollapsed>
  <SmallThumbStackTopExpanded>1</SmallThumbStackTopExpanded>
  <SmallThumbStackMember>2</SmallThumbStackMember>
</Images>

* Create a new image file 48 pixels wide and 16 pixels high.
    * In the first 16x16 area of this file, create your "collapsed stack" icon.
    * In the second 16x16 area of this file, create your "stack top, expanded" icon.
    * In the third and final 16x16 area of this file, create your "stack member, expanded" icon.
    * Save this file as "SmallIcons.png" in your "Custom Art" folder.
    * Restart MC and it will use your custom icons in the list column.

In your case above, you have applied global edits to the entire SmallIcons file, so for that case, you simply need to create the "Custom Resources" folder and copy the Images.xml from default to custom,
then save your modified SmallIcons file into the "Custom Art" folder, and you're sorted.

MC will continue to use your "Custom" files across updates, saving you the need to worry about it, and the provision is there for you to make customisations to a few choice icons from the SmallIcons file and have MC use those, along with the rest of the icons from the file in the Default folder.
Clever, huh? :)

-marko.

kurushi

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 07:13:55 am »

Thx Marko for the tip!
(I' am remember u have already say me about custom folder for to save my bind key;)
In fact when i 've go to the data folder i have created a "Default Art custom" but nothing worked because the correct name was "Custom Art"
Thx now i can go more on the skinning of the small icons and other ressources too.
Big Thx for this hint!

EDIT:
For the small icons it seems to not working either if i place my image.xml file in custom ressources or custom art.
By default there's no image.xml in the default art folder too.
What i have missing  ?

EDIT 2 : Does anyone have made their own icons?
I currently work on flats icons with not so much light intensity for to use with both dark skins & light skins...

kurushi

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 02:06:07 pm »

Re,
 i have maid some icons by the hand pixel by pixel for to have a set of simple black icon suitable for Dark backgrounds.
it look like this for now:

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 02:21:18 pm »

Make sure you get the spelling correct in the directory names... I just tested this again, and it works, both selectively, and globally.

Here, I took the original file and applied a green overlay to it...

Images.xml ---> Custom Resources
SmallIcons.png ---> Custom Art

If it really is not working for you, I wonder if it's an MC language issue? I use MC in English, whereas you use French?

-marko.

kurushi

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 03:15:57 pm »

I have just to rechecked :
the directories , names seems good and i have try in English it doesn't work.

EDIT:i have put my custom resource.xml for shortcuts in MC15 it doesn't work & the image.xml don't work in mc14 either.
It's annoying i have lost the ctrl+N (next track) but ctrl + L work...

EDIT 2 :
It was MC14 who was running in the background.
So shortcuts are ok with my custom keys but the small icon don't works...

gappie

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 07:23:49 am »

i see the same. the smallicon.png in custom art is not used, but my changed logo in the same directory is  ?

:)
gab

edit: but that was before i checked marko's instructions.  :-[
works now...

kurushi

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 09:18:04 am »

i see the same. the smallicon.png in custom art is not used, but my changed logo in the same directory is  ?

:)
gab

edit: but that was before i checked marko's instructions.  :-[
works now...
Thx for the feedback i 'll recheck it.

vbphil

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2022, 03:55:05 pm »

kurushi,

Here's another tip for you...

Have a look in the "Default Art" folder. If you see images there that you'd prefer to use custom icons for, then go back up into the "Data" folder and create a new folder called "Custom Art"
Now create your custom images and save them into your new "Custom Art" folder, using the same file names as used in the default art folder.
MC will now use your custom images instead of the default ones, and you won't need to worry about update installations over writing your custom images, they will always be used as long as they are there.

The "SmallIcons.png" file can be a little more complex. Below, I've replicated instructions I posted elsewhere for customising only the small "Stack" icons that are part of the SmallIcons.png file. They're quite easy to follow, and therefore, easy to apply to any other subset of the SmallIcons file you care to customise.

In your case above, you have applied global edits to the entire SmallIcons file, so for that case, you simply need to create the "Custom Resources" folder and copy the Images.xml from default to custom,
then save your modified SmallIcons file into the "Custom Art" folder, and you're sorted.

MC will continue to use your "Custom" files across updates, saving you the need to worry about it, and the provision is there for you to make customisations to a few choice icons from the SmallIcons file and have MC use those, along with the rest of the icons from the file in the Default folder.
Clever, huh? :)

-marko.

Will this still work in MC29?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2022, 04:31:17 pm »

Yes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up