INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Locked views?  (Read 7010 times)

soulcancer

• Galactic Citizen
Locked views?
« on: April 08, 2010, 01:31:28 am »

Ok seriously, are you guys going to have locked views in MC? This is pretty much my deal breaker between upgrading and buying it for my girlfriend.

soulcancer

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Locked views?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 03:59:43 am »

So Im going to say that since EVERY person who has this program actually wants locked views, its not going to happen in MC15

sunfire7

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 05:57:21 am »

yes everyone wants it, lets give devs time, im sure they'll implement it  :)
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 08:33:45 am »

Customize View->Advanced->Lock View?

Or do you mean something else?

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 04:05:06 am »

Customize View->Advanced->Lock View?

Or do you mean something else?
Something else. This deals with using Split Views. What many users would like to see is a way to prevent one of the two split views from switching to a different view accidentally. The most common reason to have this is to have a dedicated Playing Now view that will remain on the Playing Now screen no matter what manner of keystrokes, mouse-clicks and finger waving happens. Having a well-done implementation of this would certainly add to the usability of the program.

soulcancer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 09:25:13 pm »

Exactly, and this is the one SERIOUS flaw with the program, and the only reason i do not recomend MC to other people. IF they come up with the dedicated Playing now, or Locked Views I will upgrade AND have my girlfriend and my sister get it on their omputers. But as of now, not gonna happen. This has been brought up in every feature request since MC13 at least.  Why are they dodging it?

sunfire7

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 02:30:59 am »

Im also waiting for this feature to buy, im tired of trials I want to be a registered user and pay for my license. Also I realize I didnt even receive a response from j river team about my requests  :( wich also includes locked views. I hope have an answer from Jim :)
Mac version early bird

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 02:55:48 am »

The "girlfriend" comment got my attention.  It was particularly tragic.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 02:59:14 am »

I'm not opposed to locked views, and would like to add them to v15.

But wow, it's getting kind of deep in this thread.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

soulcancer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 06:06:31 am »

HA! the Girlfriend is what you would call, not tech savvy, and neither is the sister. so i would set it up and let them go from there. but Ive seen them both on my laptop and once the views start changing, they get confused and stop using it.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 06:12:29 pm »

We consider split views an advanced feature.  We wouldn't recommend them for "not tech savvy" users, even if they were locked.

gappie

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 06:43:40 pm »

We consider split views an advanced feature.  We wouldn't recommend them for "not tech savvy" users, even if they were locked.
i always think panes are scary in the hands of 'not tech savvy' users, i think locking the split view will make it easy to use for everybody.

:)
gab

alaskatu

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 08:40:10 pm »

I would love it too!!!
My sugestion is if the Right Panel (Split Panel) is locked and activ and you try to change the library than the change occours at the left panel that is not locked. Or in the other way. Left panel locked, than change right panel.
Thanks, i believe such a small function will be a big improvement!
Alaskatu

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 10:35:55 pm »

In Media Center 15.0.25 and later:
NEW: Added locked views to allow locking any view in a split view to avoid unintentional view changes. (view changes will simply occur in an unlocked split view)

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 10:38:07 pm »

In Media Center 15.0.25 and later:
NEW: Added locked views to allow locking any view in a split view to avoid unintentional view changes. (view changes will simply occur in an unlocked split view)

OMG!

Give us link or it never happened! :P

sunfire7

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 06:30:12 pm »

Matt, THANK YOU VERY MUCH  :o you are my hero  8) purchasing my license now :)

Edit: I Have My License NOW !! :D , waiting for new build
Mac version early bird

alaskatu

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2010, 07:55:17 am »

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Alaskatu

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 09:36:53 pm »

So, apparently this was obvious to everyone else...but...
How do I actually lock a view?  ?

rick.ca

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 09:48:30 pm »

It's at the bottom of the View - Split view menu.

MrHaugen

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 02:41:17 am »

Would it be possible to have a little pad lock icon next to the Cover view icon on the right side top of the panes? Would make it much more intuitive for new users, and faster to change for everyone.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 02:48:17 am »

Would make it much more intuitive for new users, and faster to change for everyone.
(I know, Matt stated locked views are an advanced feature mostly for tech savyy users, but anyway:)
+1 for MrHaugen request!

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 06:39:57 am »

It's at the bottom of the View - Split view menu.
Thank you!  ;D

Would it be possible to have a little pad lock icon next to the Cover view icon on the right side top of the panes? Would make it much more intuitive for new users, and faster to change for everyone.
I like this in the sense that if I do want to change the locked view (say from PN to my mp3 player's contents) it would be quick and easy. I dislike that spot in the sense that my screen is already pretty crowded in that region (lots of links on top of the normal stuff). The spot does make sense for being intuitive though.

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 07:58:56 am »

Can playing now in a split view be locked?

Can split view be only applied to say Audio and not Video, Images and TV and can they all be locked or unlocked on their own?

Thanks
TC  ?

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 08:17:42 am »

Can playing now in a split view be locked?
It can !!

Can split view be only applied to say Audio and not Video, Images and TV and can they all be locked or unlocked on their own?
Just give it a try! Every view can be locked (at least every view I tried).

soulcancer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 08:50:34 am »

Finally! Thank you so much!

sdgrizdan

• Galactic Citizen
  • The body cannot live without the mind
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 07:53:05 pm »

Bump and +1!!!  ;D

A padlock would be a nice visual touch to a great feature. It would avoid confusion on what screen is locked and would be great as a toggle button to lock/unlock that view.

Doberman

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 03:55:58 am »

It can !!
Just give it a try! Every view can be locked (at least every view I tried).

That doesn't seem to be true.  Or it's pretty bugged.  At least for me.  Is no one else experiencing the issues I detail below?

Alright, I've retyped this several times as I delved more and more into what exactly is going on here.  :)

Donno if this is a bug or not.  I'm assuming it is, because it makes no sense.  :)  I'll check and see how to submit it as such after I finish this post, in case just posting about it here isn't enough.

First off, you CANNOT lock all Views in a split View setup.  One must remain unlocked.  

You CAN get all three Views to show as locked with the checkmark in a 3-View setup, but when that's the case, NONE of the views is ACTUALLY locked.  You can make changes to all of them, despite showing as locked.  As long as one is left unchecked, it'll operate as expected.  

If you switch down to a 2-View from a 3 which showed 1 & 2 both as locked, it'll show both views as locked with checkmarks, but neither will actually be locked.

If you go to a 2 from a 1 OR from a 3 where one of the first two views was unlocked, you'll only be able to get one View checkmarked as locked.  If you lock the other one, the checkmark will appear next to it, and clear from the other.  This will also operate as expected, with an attempt to change a locked view changing the unlocked one instead.

So, there's several issues here.

First off, are we supposed to be able to lock all views so that no changes can be made whatsoever?  If that's the case, it's not working.  

Secondly, if one is required to be left unlocked, it's totally screwed up.  

Actually, it's pretty screwed up no matter how it's supposed to operate.  :)

Hopefully my descriptions of the issues are clearer than they seem.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 04:33:43 am »

In MC 15.0.29 there was a change:
5. Changed: When locking both split views in a two split view configuration, the other view is automatically unlocked.

So, you're right here ;) :
First off, you CANNOT lock all Views in a split View setup.  One must remain unlocked.

I don't have a PC with MC around me right now :( , so I cannot add my two cents to the rest.

Doberman

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2010, 05:48:13 pm »

Confirmed that all of this is still occurring with .32 which was installed today with a complete clean install.

You can choose to lock all three Views in a 3-View Split, which results in NONE of them being locked.

If you then back down to a 2-View Split and had both Views 1 & 2 locked in the 3-View, they will both show the checkmark but neither will actually be locked.

gappie

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2010, 06:01:09 pm »

You can choose to lock all three Views in a 3-View Split, which results in NONE of them being locked.
yep.. i see that to when i use three views.
If you then back down to a 2-View Split and had both Views 1 & 2 locked in the 3-View, they will both show the checkmark but neither will actually be locked.
did not see that.. but i believe you did. it got messy and took a lot of clicks to get back to my stable 2 views one locked view.. 8)

gab

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2010, 01:36:49 pm »

Confirmed that all of this is still occurring with .32 which was installed today with a complete clean install.

I can't reproduce this.

It seems to be working as intended.  You simply can't lock all views, so if you try, it'll act like no views are locked.  But it lets you check all three because then it's easy to uncheck a different one. If it automatically unchecked one when you checked the third view, it could get confusing because it might not uncheck the one you wanted.

sdgrizdan

• Galactic Citizen
  • The body cannot live without the mind
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010, 02:03:15 pm »

I can't reproduce this.

It seems to be working as intended.  You simply can't lock all views, so if you try, it'll act like no views are locked.  But it lets you check all three because then it's easy to uncheck a different one. If it automatically unchecked one when you checked the third view, it could get confusing because it might not uncheck the one you wanted.

Maybe a dialog warning message with options should pop up if you try to lock all the views.

rick.ca

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2010, 02:10:14 pm »

But it lets you check all three because then it's easy to uncheck a different one.

That would be true if it were not in a menu that collapses after any choice is made. Either the menu should stay open until a valid selection is made, or one of the other two views—chosen arbitrarily—should be deselected when a third is selected. Or deselect both of the other two views. These behaviours are more likely to convey the idea one view must remain unlocked than showing three checkmarks when none are locked.

Doberman

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2010, 02:40:27 pm »

Is anyone else able to reproduce this, or is it just on my system (despite a complete uninstall of 14 & 15 and a fresh reinstall of 15)? 

Switch to 3-View Split, checkmark all three Views as Locked.  When I do that, I'm still able to change all three views.  None of them are locked.

Doberman

• Recent member
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2010, 02:52:14 pm »

Just loaded 15.0.32 on my netbook.  Same thing.  All three Views show as locked.  None are. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2010, 02:56:47 pm »

Just loaded 15.0.32 on my netbook.  Same thing.  All three Views show as locked.  None are.  

As I said:
"You simply can't lock all views, so if you try, it'll act like no views are locked."

This is by design.  The program can't function without the ability to show a different view somewhere.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2010, 03:15:39 pm »

In a coming build:
Changed: When locking all views in a three view split view configuration, the other two views are unlocked (it's not valid or possible to lock all views).

Doberman

• Recent member
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2010, 03:26:45 pm »

As I said:
"You simply can't lock all views, so if you try, it'll act like no views are locked."

This is by design.  The program can't function without the ability to show a different view somewhere.

Ooops, sorry Matt.  I seem to have totally missed that line for some reason, and didn't interpret the following posts asking if maybe there could be a pop-up warning.  My bad.  :)

The weird thing that I'm seeing when downgrading from 3-View to 2-View is still there though.  Is that what you said you couldn't replicate?  When all three, or just 1 & 2, are checked in 3-View and I change to 2-View it'll show both 1 & 2 as checkmarked and neither will be locked.  So whatever code you have that stops both from being locked in 2-View must not be getting called when switching from 3 down to 2.  And the program is seeing it as "both locked which can't happen, so neither is actually locked."  

Now that I know how it's supposed to work, I don't really have an issue with it.  Just could be a little clearer.  :)

llafriel

• World Citizen
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2010, 12:21:49 pm »

Locked views isn't usable if you switch between different libraries. I connect to my htpc and server from my laptop. Each time I switch the splash screen is shown, even though the option is set to 'last view' Of course with split views I get two splashscreens, and I have to unlock, switch the view, and lock again.
Would it be possible to have MC remember the views between libraries?

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2010, 02:46:02 pm »

Would it be possible to have MC remember the views between libraries?
+1

gappie

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2010, 02:49:31 pm »

+1
yep... would make using different librarys with the same mc version one step closer to being workable.  8)

gab

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2010, 04:19:12 am »

Sorry for bringing an old thread up, but i noticed some weird behavior with split/locked views.

If i set my my views to lets say split views=2 with the second view being locked to Playing Now and then restart the client, both views will reset to whatever i have set in Options -> startup -> Startup Interface. I know the existence of "last location" option in there, but that's not a solution.

Example of how it should look and how it does look after a client restart are shown below:

sunfire7

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2010, 11:12:06 am »

yes! when changing library even the locked view changes to startup page.  It should remain locked!!!

Arbiter:
Can you give me the name of that skin??? it looks great !!
Mac version early bird

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2010, 11:28:01 am »

yes! when changing library even the locked view changes to startup page.  It should remain locked!!!

Arbiter:
Can you give me the name of that skin??? it looks great !!

That's MN01!

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2010, 02:23:39 am »

Can we now get Tab locks too please  ;D

Cheers,

Mark

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2010, 11:35:31 am »

Add me to the camp of people who love the use of locked split views.
Also add me to the list of people who now want it to do more (in true MC user fashion ;-) )

I would love the ability to save the split/lock views with a view scheme.

I use this view a few times/day:

But I also use MC daily for Audio with a Playing Now split screen. 

So I'm contantly having to recreate my split views.
If I could create a view scheme specificially for the various locked split views I use, I would be one more efficient and very happy camper.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
  • Reaper of Righteous Riffs
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2010, 05:20:46 pm »

As I said:

Sorry for being direct here, but this seems kinda lame not being able to lock all the views. The behavior I would expect if all views were locked would be essentially to disable the tree pane. Thus, it seems that a reasonable workaround to locking ALL panes is to simply hide the tree to prevent accidental clicks. So far, so so...

However, what does Locked mean? I expected that I would be prevented from accidentally adding and deleting tabs from a locked view, but this is not the case. Thus, in essence, I get more of the locking I want ("locking" ALL panes) from simply hiding the tree pane.

It seems that this feature should really be called "Guarded Views"... since not much is really "Locked" to my way of thinking.

Not sure how this feature, as implemented, makes the product safe for girlfriends and sisters...

Cheers,
Jeff

rick.ca

« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2010, 08:56:45 pm »

Not sure how this feature, as implemented, makes the product safe for girlfriends and sisters...

The purpose of the feature in not to limit the functionality of the program. It's to prevent file-related command from inadvertently sent to the wrong view. If those commands cannot be sent somewhere, they're effectively disabled. It's difficult to imagine any practical use for that that wouldn't be better served by perhaps Party Mode, or closing the program and hiding the remote.

The term "locked" is appropriate, in the sense commands will be redirected to the "unlocked" view. There's no need to to protect tabs because they can only be closed by a deliberate mouse click.

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
  • Reaper of Righteous Riffs
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2010, 11:22:43 pm »

The term "locked" is appropriate, in the sense commands will be redirected to the "unlocked" view. There's no need to to protect tabs because they can only be closed by a deliberate mouse click.

As I see it, your whole line of reasoning boils down to the word "deliberate". The problem with that is that wives, girlfriends, and frantic DJ's in the dark trying to cue the next song are NOT deliberate. We make mistakes, and this does very little to prevent me from shooting myself in the foot. If I'm aiming to activate a tab with my laptop's touchpad (no mouse), it's pretty easy to miss and launch a new unwanted tab or worse, to close a necessary one. I don't draw any distinction between file-related commands or other unwanted outcomes. Badness is badness. And locked means locked... in my mind the product is only shielding against certain actions.

By the way, is there an enumeration of the actions that ARE prevented when the view is locked? I'm not clear on what you consider file-related commands.

Cheers,
Jeff

rick.ca

« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2010, 12:25:39 am »

I wasn't giving you a "line of reasoning." The feature is what it is. It was implemented to satisfy a very specific need, and most of those who were vocal about it's need now seem happy. What you want seems to be something quite different. Now I'm even more confused about what that is, but that's why I originally asked if Party Mode might be what you want. Apparently not, but I wonder if you shouldn't be asking for a new feature, rather than suggesting this one needs to be changed.

What is and what is not a "file-related command" is a red herring. The point is, many were frustrated by commands going to the wrong view because it—rather than the intended view—was inadvertently selected. This feature is the fix to that problem. It seems to work well. The flip side is it requires the view be unlocked to be changed, so it would not be a good idea to add unnecessarily to the actions it restricts. (I wish there were a button right on the view header—so the lock could be toggled with one click.) I would be unhappy, for example, it I had to unlock and re-lock the view every time I need to add or remove a tab.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up