INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio playback failing on some video files  (Read 1022 times)

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Audio playback failing on some video files
« on: May 19, 2010, 07:16:35 am »

Another odd video file problem I've stumbled on in converting from MC13->MC15:

Some of my other videos (avis encoded with DivX and XviD and some mkvs that I don't remember the codecs for) do not play with sound in MC15 if "Playback Device" in the Video->Audio for Video, DVD & TV section is set to "Digital Output Device (SPDIF) (High Definition Audio Device)". They showed picture, but didn't have audio.

Audio returned if I switched the setting to "Same Device as used in Audio Playback". (Where the audio settings were: DirectSound & Digital Output Device (SPDIF) (High Definition Audio Device)".

What's the difference? Is this something to do with the new audio chain in MC15?

brad

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Audio playback failing on some video files
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 09:24:24 am »

Audio returned if I switched the setting to "Same Device as used in Audio Playback". (Where the audio settings were: DirectSound & Digital Output Device (SPDIF) (High Definition Audio Device)".

What's the difference? Is this something to do with the new audio chain in MC15?

"Same Device as used in Audio Playback" uses the JRiver audio engine and output plugins to handle all the audio.  This is a new feature in v15.  It enables DSP (room correction, VST, etc.) when watching HDTV, DVD, etc.

I'm not sure why the system renderer isn't working, but we think 'Same Device as used in Audio Playback' is the best choice anyway.

It's not the default yet simply because it's a new feature and we want more real-world test results before turning it on for everyone.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up