INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Album Artist] & [Album Artist (Auto)] for Video Files  (Read 1991 times)

Mars

• World Citizen
[Album Artist] & [Album Artist (Auto)] for Video Files
« on: June 01, 2010, 04:29:02 pm »

Not sure if I should post this as a feature request... ?

I have a lot of Music Videos cut as single songs from DVD rips, which I use to play shuffled with music files. I'd like to organize them the same way than audio files can be, through the Album Artist (Auto) scheme, so all the video clips corresponding to albums (DVD) of various artist could automatically be grouped under "Multiple Artists" both inside the library and externally. In this case I could use the same base path and file naming for Video Clips and Audio files.

Is this possible with the current library fields, or I should create new ones. Could an expression automatically asign "Multiple Artists" to video files that accomplished that condition?

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: [Album Artist] & [Album Artist (Auto)] for Video Files
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 06:15:50 pm »

I don't think Album Artist (Auto) will be automatically set to "(Multiple Artists)"—because one of the conditions is that the file is an audio type—but you can still fill Album Artist with that value, and it will be used. I suppose it would be reasonable to ask the restriction be removed. In the meantime, maybe one of our smartlist geniuses could offer a way to identify all the files that need the tag. Or maybe there's not so many that can't be done manually (i.e., visually identifying and tagging multiple artist albums).

Mars

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 09:00:15 am »

Thanks for your reply, rick.ca.

I suppose it would be reasonable to ask the restriction be removed

That would be great, this way I could have Music Video files physically in the same structure I have Audio files, which would also improve the way I could store the cover art of these video files, (.avi) most of them.

you can still fill Album Artist with that value, and it will be used
Or maybe there's not so many that can't be done manually (i.e., visually identifying and tagging multiple artist albums)

The problem is that the field Album Artist is not available for video type and I guess I won't be able to add it as a custom field because it already exists (I will try at home). It would be very nice to have this field for both types.

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 04:47:25 pm »

The problem is that the field Album Artist is not available for video type...

It's not available in a Video view scheme, but It's available in an Audio view scheme in which you have allowed your music video files. Sorry, I assumed you had already done that. In Customize View - Set rules for file display, set rules that will include all audio and all music videos. How you do that is up to you. You could use "Media Subtype is Music Video" if you've set that value, or maybe "Media Type is Audio, Video AND Filename (path) begins with [my music path]."

Without the restriction being removed, the only "issue" you should have is that Album Artist has to be tagged with the appropriate value.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 05:45:38 am »

For those that are interested here is a guide written a while ago on how to rip & manage Music Video Clips like audio files.  http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277756-How-To-Rip-and-Manage-Music-DVDs-just-like-Music-CDs-in-JRiver-Media-Center

JRiver CEO Elect

Mars

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 08:56:26 am »

It's not available in a Video view scheme, but it is available in an Audio view scheme

You mean that all Fields are available for each type of media or file and that it depends on the view scheme? I wasn't aware about that. I thought that the "Flag" input of the fields limited its use to it, but now I understand that it's just a way to filter them depending on the chosen view scheme. Is that correct? So,for example, if I put  images under an Audio parent scheme, Will I only get the fields "Flagged" as Audio or Will I also have the fields "Flagged" as Images?

For those that are interested here is a guide written a while ago on how to rip & manage Music Video Clips like audio files.  http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277756-How-To-Rip-and-Manage-Music-DVDs-just-like-Music-CDs-in-JRiver-Media-Center

That's more or less the way I'm doing it, with the exception that I normally compress the files to .avi format in order to save storage.
As an update to that guide, to mention that the current version includes the field [Media Subtype], which replaces the use of [Genre] given there.

rick.ca

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 03:03:23 pm »

You mean that all Fields are available for each type of media or file and that it depends on the view scheme?

I was wrong in suggesting there's any restriction to what fields can be used in any view type. It seems any view type will adapt to allow the fields of whatever media types are included in the view.

I understand that it's just a way to filter them depending on the chosen view scheme.

As a completely separate matter, the files that appear in a view depend solely on the view's Rules for file display.

So, for example, if I put images under an Audio parent scheme, Will I only get the fields "Flagged" as Audio or Will I also have the fields "Flagged" as Images?

If you were to add a rule to your Rules for file display for an otherwise audio view to also include just one image file, then all image-only fields would become available in that view.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 03:14:21 pm »

As an update to that guide, to mention that the current version includes the field [Media Subtype], which replaces the use of [Genre] given there.

[Meia Subtype] field is relativly new, but I still store on disk and use views based on Genre, Artist, Album, Track # - Name just as you can with Audio.  I use Genre to differentiate between "Movies", "Home Videos", "TV Recordings", "Music Videos" etc (Note: MC sets Genre to "TV Recordings" if you use this part of the prog)

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

Mars

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 11:55:55 am »

If you were to add a rule to your Rules for file display for an otherwise audio view to also include just one image file, then all image-only fields would become available in that view.

That's right. I've been doing a little testing, and that's what I find: even if the parent scheme allowed a media type to be shown, fields of this media type will only become available if the current view allows at least one file of this media type. So in that case, the view "bypasses" its parent scheme rules.

[Meia Subtype] field is relativly new, but I still store on disk and use views based on Genre, Artist, Album, Track # - Name just as you can with Audio.  I use Genre to differentiate between "Movies", "Home Videos", "TV Recordings", "Music Videos" etc (Note: MC sets Genre to "TV Recordings" if you use this part of the prog)

Thanks
Nathan
[/quote]

It's true, [Genre] can work perfectly as a "wildcard" for grouping in many cases  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up