INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album art in Image view / Image sort by folder in Theater View  (Read 3294 times)

fredphoesh

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi guys

I want to NOT see any of my thousands of cover art images when I am trying to browse images using MC... but that is all I seem to be able to see.

I have most my images on D:/Photos and have created an Auto-Import setting for that folder and chosen to view Images only. In my D:/MP3 Auto Import folder, I have chosen to see just MP3 and other audio files, no images or video. In another folder I have chosen to see just video, no images or music...

In the Auto-Import settings there is a check box for additional settings, and it is currently set to "Get Cover Art". It is unclear whether this settings is for importing cover art to ID3 tags that have no cover art, or what... but regardless, I cannot seem to make the cover art go away when I am trying to browse my photo albums.

Help much appreciated,
thanks
Mark.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Dont want to see music covers in Image view, how to configure
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 05:04:20 pm »

I think you must be importing your cover art files.  You can set up an "exclude" directory in the options for auto-import.

fredphoesh

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 05:31:28 pm »

I think you must be importing your cover art files.  You can set up an "exclude" directory in the options for auto-import.

Hi Jim
I dont see a way to do that... In the Auto-Import settings thing, you can choose folders you want to be included, and one of them is my mp3 folder containing all my music, and in each folder is the folder.jpg file too, but I do not want these visible as part of my image library. They are only for view as cover art when browsing music.

How would I exclude the folder.jpg images which are in the same folders as the mp3 files themselves, and exclude it only for Image browsing?

Should this not be the default anyway? Boxee, XBMC, MS MC and all other media center type software will differentiate between your photos folders and your music folders and will not add your folder.jpg images to your photo library...

If there is a way to work around this, Id love to know how.

Thanks,
Mark.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 06:57:23 pm »

MC should not be importing folder.jpg.

When you import a folder with audio, set the import options not to get the image files.

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 09:04:05 pm »

When you import a folder with audio, set the import options not to get the image files.

To do this, in the Media Import (Auto-Import) dialog, select your audio path and click "Edit." To open the Folder Options dialog. The settings there are self-explanatory. You may have already done that, so...

Even if you have imported "unwanted" files into your library, understand that displaying them it a completely independent matter. That's determined by the Rules for file display set for any particular view scheme. If you don't want to see covers in an image view, include a rule to exclude them. In the situation you describe, simply exclude files from your audio path, or include only files from your images path.

fredphoesh

• Junior Woodchuck
display of photo albums in Theater View...
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 02:09:55 am »

MC should not be importing folder.jpg.

Hi Jim & Rick, thanks for the responses. Trans-atlantic forum conversations are a tad stop-start  ;-)

After a few forced closes because MC did not like me to CTRL-A and select all images in the mp3 folder, I managed to delete about 8000 files from the library only.... good!

Now I would like, in Theater View, to see the photos as they are sorted on my hard drive, by folder. MC seems to sort them by date, so if the date on the photo is incorrect (very likely!) it sorts by date. I have set the View to Group by Filename (Path) and it seems to to some extent, but still tries to sort things by date. I want to see albums that are defined by the folders which contain them on my hard drive. (regardless of whether the dates on each image is correct or not) Is that possible?

Thanks again,
Mark.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 02:48:41 am »

A "Ctrl+A" selection is practically immediate. I just tried it to select about 85000 files of various media types. It took less than a second. A view that was filtered to show only jpg files (about 11000) was not any different. Probably your MC crashed for some reason.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

fredphoesh

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 02:57:32 am »

A "Ctrl+A" selection is practically immediate. I just tried it to select about 85000 files of various media types. It took less than a second. A view that was filtered to show only jpg files (about 11000) was not any different. Probably your MC crashed for some reason.

Hmm
Thanks Alex... In my limited experience, MC is not a stable bit of software, it seems to crash at several times a day if I am not just listening to music. It often crashes when doing something which I imagine would take lots of processing power.
Perhaps my computer is getting too old for it? 3700+ AMD processor Nvidia geforce 6500 graphics, 2gb ram...
Speak soon
Mark.

maid

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 03:09:14 am »

Hi Guys,
I have my video covers in the same folder as the movie named the same. eg Terminator.avi Terminator.jpg.
Can I stop these being added to my images??
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 03:32:57 am »

In my limited experience, MC is not a stable bit of software, it seems to crash at several times a day if I am not just listening to music. It often crashes when doing something which I imagine would take lots of processing power.
Perhaps my computer is getting too old for it? 3700+ AMD processor Nvidia geforce 6500 graphics, 2gb ram...

MC is stable on my old Athlon XP 3200+ (2 GB RAM, GeForce FX 5500). I actually use it for testing Windows 7 (32-bit). I still prefer to use XP Pro on my other machines.

It is possible that MC uses your PC extensively and exploits a HW problem. For instance, a bad memory stick is a quite common problem that doesn't necessarily always show up.

If you have MC set to automatically analyze the files for replay gain it will once decode each and every audio file in the background and calculate the replay gain info. That may cause additional resource usage and bring up an otherwise hidden problem on your system.

Some combinations of DirectShow filters (installed on the OS) and video files may be unstable. Initially MC creates small thumbnail images of the videos and to do that it must play a small cut of each video file. So, if you have imported also video files that may be causing instability. To avoid background thumbnailing you can prebuild all thumbnails: Options > Tree & View > Thumbnails > Build missing thumbnails... If you have lots of video or big image files let it run overnight.

If the instability issues do not go away we can try the logging feature, but first it would be good to find a reproducible combination of actions that always causes a crash.

... In the Auto-Import settings thing, you can choose folders you want to be included, and one of them is my mp3 folder containing all my music, and in each folder is the folder.jpg file too, but I do not want these visible as part of my image library. They are only for view as cover art when browsing music.

How would I exclude the folder.jpg images which are in the same folders as the mp3 files themselves, and exclude it only for Image browsing?

Should this not be the default anyway? Boxee, XBMC, MS MC and all other media center type software will differentiate between your photos folders and your music folders and will not add your folder.jpg images to your photo library...

Actually there is a "ignore special files (folder.jpg, etc.)" setting enabled by default. It should make MC to not import them when you don't change any default import settings.

By default a selection of various media types is ticked when a new folder is added to auto-import folders. The selection is configurable (Options > Library & Folders > Configure Auto-Import > select a folder in the list and press "Edit...")

I wonder if the "ignore..." setting actually works as it should at the moment.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 03:34:15 am »

Hi Guys,
I have my video covers in the same folder as the movie named the same. eg Terminator.avi Terminator.jpg.
Can I stop these being added to my images??

Options > Library & Folders > Configure Auto-Import > select a folder in the list and press "Edit..."

- in there, tick only "Video" file types.

fredphoesh

• Junior Woodchuck
Theater view photos sorted according to folders containing them?
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 04:14:00 am »

If the instability issues do not go away we can try the logging feature, but first it would be good to find a reproducible combination of actions that always causes a crash.

Thanks for all the useful info Alex,
Quite right, I will be more diligent when I crash, try to replicate... usually Im not in the mood to be diligent though when software crashes ;-) but Ive done plenty beta testing for discreet, adobe, apple, so know how important it is to find those reproducible steps. I have 4 computers that run MC, but only one is a server, the AMD 3700 running win7, the others are 2 Asrock ION 330HTs and a macbook pro running win7.

Actually there is a "ignore special files (folder.jpg, etc.)" setting enabled by default. It should make MC to not import them when you don't change any default import settings.

yeah, I see that setting, but it was set to ignore by default... perhaps one of my manual scans imported the folder.jpg files.

Now I have manually deleted them from the database, thats fine, but in Theater view I cannot see my photos organised according to the folders they are in. Im sure that must be possible, but I cannot see how to do it.

Thanks again,
Mark.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Album art in Image view / Image sort by folder in Theater View
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 05:19:39 am »

Explore the settings in Options > Theater View...

Here's an example. I added a "by location" item under "Images":

In "Edit..." I selected "File path", but didn't specify a specific path so it shows all paths beginning the drive root (or roots if you have more than one).

If the item is not nested under Images (i.e. when it is a new root item) you can limit it to the "Images" media type in "Set rules for file display...":

fredphoesh

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Album art in Image view / Image sort by folder in Theater View
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 05:36:28 am »

Explore the settings in Options > Theater View...

Here's an example. I added a "by location" item under "Images":

In "Edit..." I selected "File path", but didn't specify a specific path so it shows all paths beginning the drive root (or roots if you have more than one).

GENIUS!
Thanks very much Alex, that works... great!

And I like that in each folder I can view the subfolders, see them separately or all images in a parent folder as one... nice.

Slightly off topic, I will do a feature request on being able to rotate images in Theater view... beautifully implemented in Boxee with slick, smooth rotating movement... sexy.

Tx Mate,
Mark.
Pages: [1]   Go Up