INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MEDIA JUKEBOX Web site redesign  (Read 4160 times)

PeterS

MEDIA JUKEBOX Web site redesign
« on: June 24, 2002, 01:17:35 pm »

People,
We are working on a new design for the Web site. Here are a couple of ideas. Thoughts please!!!

Big Blue

Metallic

Oogi

• World Citizen
RE:MEDIA JUKEBOX Web site redesign
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2002, 01:25:50 pm »

THE BIG BLUE!
Thanks

Uri

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2002, 01:31:14 pm »

Metallic...dig the neon green and yellow highlights. Martha Stewart help you design that one???

HTH

Listening to: 'But Beautiful' by 'Bill Evans' on Media Jukebox

LCtheDJ

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2002, 01:43:43 pm »

My vote is to go for the gold!

Great look for a web page - also a great look for a Media Jukebox skin!  If you made a skin like that for Mega Me, I'd switch from going skinless.

Only one concern; for someone unfamiliar with the product, it may be hard to tell the difference between the webpage design and the screenshots of the player.

nila

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2002, 03:23:05 pm »

I say the blue one.
Nice designs. Fancy giving me the one you dont use?
I could redesign my site with it and make it look awesome Next Page
Only thing I dont like about the blue one is the big grey boxes look a bit plain.
Maybe liven them up a bit with a ridge around the side or something.
Or maybe some resize lines in the bottom corner (steal the ones off the gold layout).

Also, I like those semi translucent buttons.
Add some of those to the blue ones to make it look pretty Next Page

They're both pretty awesome though. Nice graphics work guys.

ChicoSelfs

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2002, 03:25:44 pm »

I like the Blue but i like more of the metallic it's more powerfull
Made in Portugal

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2002, 03:32:40 pm »

I Like Them Both But Since I Was Born In September I Like The "Sapphire-Blue" Better.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

deerhunter

• World Citizen
  • self employed
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2002, 03:38:44 pm »

I like the blue. Listening to: 'Wabash Cannonball' from 'Napster' by 'Roy Acuff' on Media Jukebox
deerhunter

zevele1

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2002, 04:48:28 pm »

METALLIC of cause ,i can not stand blue

But i see it :
Blue: you are in the mood of the fashion
Metallic: you have a look more personal
My 2 $

Bishop

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2002, 05:37:47 pm »

My vote is for the metallic.

bigcuedaddy

• Junior Woodchuck
  • computers are just a fad
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2002, 06:39:03 pm »

my vote is for blue. very classy and clean ! !

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2002, 06:54:43 pm »

Personally, I favor blue but that's not my vote. I can do without blue and our good buddy Zev HATES blue. My vote is for anything BUT blue.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

gateley

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2002, 07:06:57 pm »

Hi bigcuedaddy,

Are you a shooter? What games?

j

Chico

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2002, 07:18:57 pm »

Tough decision!  Both look absolutely great! I've always been partial to blue, but the contrast in the metallic is intreging.   Hmmmm.... I hate making major decisions like this.  But then again, my desktop is in blue, but I like metallic looking things.  Blue is soothing, while the metal is more bold.  ummmmm....  I'll have to get back to you on this one. A decision like this shouldn't be made in haste, but then again, always go with your first impression.  Ohh... Look... Now I've got a headache trying to decide...

OK...  Blue!

No! wait!  I mean Metal!

Ookay.. I sh feelsh better now...  Umm whats were we jtalking bout?

oh... Letsh go wit da Blue.

Goods nightsh all..

Severian

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Data Stylist
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2002, 07:31:56 pm »

Both are nice, I'm not sure which one I'd state a preference for. One thing I WOULD state a preference for, above any graphics, would be ease of navigation, and just how you're presenting/emphasizing what you see as the primary tools to new and returning users. The blue one doesn't seem to be as conceptually fleshed out as the metallic one in that regard. Can you repost a graphic that has the same apparent features as the metallic one?

("Costumizable" Skins? Good thing that wasn't up before I purchased--I make a point of not buying any product for which its own promotional material is misspelled, on the theory that if they couldn't get that straight, how can I trust the product itself? Next Page)
Severian

PeterS

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2002, 08:52:46 pm »

These designs are in the concept stage only and will require tweaking. All spelling errors, design faux pas etc. will be fixed before we go live. Navigation links are just placeholders at this point and are subject to change.

We are working with a couple of top-notch designers to get this right. Our goal is to produce a professional-looking site, giving users the best possible experience of MJ. So, please give overall impressions and offer suggestions for improvements. Please note that we do not own these designs, so we are not in a position to give any of them away, even if we wanted to (sorry Nila).

Peter

SBrandsborg aka Mouseman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2002, 09:29:24 pm »

yes the blue one
~SBrandsborg (Mouseman)
E-Mail: steffen@sbrandsborg.dk

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2002, 09:47:06 pm »

Both are nice but my preference goes to the metallic/gold design.
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

lee269

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2002, 11:38:00 pm »

Metallic, definitely. To me the surfing jukebox looks a little flat against the smooth 3d graphics though.

Both designs look graphic intensive - might be slow to load on slow connections, but hey Ive just got ADSL so what do I care Next Page

lee269

PhatPhreddy

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2002, 02:15:18 am »

I prefer the Blue... The metallic looks more interesting and perhaps the blue a little flatter but then the metallic has those extra GFX in the places where the blue looks flat so its not quite an apples to apples comp.

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2002, 07:40:42 am »

I like the Blue.

lise

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2002, 08:12:15 am »

I prefer the design of the metallic one, but the colour of the blue one.  Perhaps a blue metallic page?

IRONP[ANTS

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2002, 11:44:29 am »

PeterS,

Just a few observations:

BIG BLUE

1) Remove the icons aside the "Download", "Overview", "User Guide" and "FAQ" links. If you've told the visitor where to go with written words, why give confusing visual clues as well?

2) The 'MEDIA JUKEBOX' font in the upper left corner looks skinny and weak. Use the font that is faded in the upper right corner instead.

3) The screenshot is functional, but boring. there must be something better...

4) Be careful about placing links along the left pane and the header. You only stand to confuse visitors.

METALLIC

1) The whole 'pipe-looking' design is so overused. Please don't lend to its profusion.

2) I assume the features to the right of the screenshot are just features, not links. They look like links though.

3) You shouldn't change colors schemes without contemplating how this effects branding. Be careful.

4) Keep the "Download Media Jukebox" button. I like it, simply because I don't have to search for a download. It also makes me believe you're not hiding anything.

IRONPANTS

PeterS

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2002, 12:20:17 pm »

Thanks IRONPANTS. Some canny observations. Once we thrash this out we will have the foundation for a really good site. Let me know if you think we should consider new areas of interest for the site too.
Cheers,
Peter

nila

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2002, 01:53:55 pm »

The FAQ section of the site should be really dynamic I think so you guys can all add to it really easily.
Say if you see something asked on the site alot one of you should be able to go to the FAQ section and just add it instantly as the forum can quite easily loose answers due to the large number of posts.
A good and well laid out FAQ with alot of answers can be extremely useful and help and save you all a lot of time.

Also, maybe a tutorial/tips and tricks section of the site would be useful where users and staff could both add little tips on how to do smart things. ie. the way Matt told me the other day how I could use a treeview to display the results of searches would be something I'm sure a lot of people would find useful but something that's already lost in the huge size of this forum.

jackhack3

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2002, 01:58:48 pm »

Like the Gold Better !! - Stands out and sticks with the theme of the origional MJB Theme

nortyboy

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2002, 02:11:18 pm »

The Metallic for me, I think !

tullio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2002, 03:01:26 pm »

Esthetically I prefer the blue, but the metallic is far more functional.  The blue doesn't tell you very much. (Why does it have 2 User Guide buttons?)

Those speaker grilles (or whatever they are) on the metallic are confusing and pointless.  Why not dress up the ends of the bars with symbols, icons, letters suggesting a home theater?  Even the lettters DVD, CD, TV would have more impact than those useless grilles.  I never was crazy about the skateboard logo.  Has the old RCA Victor dog gone into public domain yet?  A pooch with cocked head looking at a jukebox would make a nice generational bridge. The two TV screens on the right could be better used.  How about the words "Free Version" on the button above Download MJ?  For the WinAmp/Musicmatch crowd.  And instead of Featured Skin, why not just Features and a little applet that displays another MJ feature each time the button is pushed?

BigMike

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2002, 08:47:54 pm »

What are you doing designing web pages when you should be making new skins for us folks? Next Page Just kidding of course. I like the Metalic one a whole bunch.

TEd!

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2002, 09:19:52 pm »

Go with the blue. the hot reds and oranges while impressive do not rest easy in the old eye balls. Keep your back grounds white for all text with the contrast high. This makes reading the site easy and enjoyable. Your blue color mode exhibts classic good design elements.

Nice clean work.

regards

steven Hickok

PeterS

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2002, 09:52:17 am »

Lou Busch

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2002, 04:15:10 pm »

Metallic, seems cleaner and a bit more vibrant
Lou

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2002, 04:59:45 pm »

what about a multilanguage site?
Made in Portugal

Jazzwolf

• World Citizen
  • Jazz, Classic Rock, Classic 70's NY Salsa
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2002, 07:48:04 pm »

Metallic Gold!!!
It's alright now, I learned my lesson well, you see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself - Rick Nelson

PeterS

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2002, 12:09:39 pm »

Here is another idea which combines some of the elements from the two previous designs. Please excuse any typos, misplaced links etc. We are just looking for a general template design at this point.

Also, we will optimize loading time before anything goes live, so it should load faster too.

http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/temp/index.htm

Peter

zevele1

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2002, 12:24:34 pm »

NOT BAD!

But the grey is a little to dark
Just one or two numbers down for each grey.Maybe only one number down will be ok

A very 'classy' look i have to say

By the way it is not i hate blue
Not mad about it,for sure.And will never ever make any decorating based on blue if i have the choice
But i use it as a complementary color

But i am just REALLY feed up with all this blue on the webb and programs

Since you are at 'new look' task,you may change the splach pop-up

With all my love for Media Jukebox,can i say that it is one of the most horrible things i saw in the computer word

PeterS

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2002, 12:58:58 pm »

Hey Zevele10,
How about we make a splash screen just for you? No blue, I promise!

JNKH

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2002, 01:53:14 am »

In general, I like the new look.  What appear to be the feedback is a SKIN for your new website.

Since we access the web-site so often to interact, and also signed on automatically, it is possible to use our selected SKIN in our MJ as the scheme to set your "skin" on your website.

This will be fun.
Pages: [1]   Go Up