INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Gizmo -- stream your media from home -- or use Android as a remote  (Read 98218 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam

MC15 can stream music, images, or video from your MC server to your Android device, using our Gizmo app for Android.  Search for Gizmo in the Android Market on your phone.  It may require the latest build of MC15 from the top of the MC15 board.

More here.

Pictures and Instructions on our Wiki.

jitainss

• Recent member
Re: JRiver Gizmo's for Android -- stream your music to your phone
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 04:43:21 am »

I have downloaded Gizmo to my Android Milestone. I am being askedd for a J River Library Server Access Key. I entered my registration code and the access failed. Please help. Where do I get the Access key? Thanks Jitain

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 06:32:17 am »

The Wiki page has good instructions that should get you up and running

Gizmo for J River Wiki Page

One clarification; If you haven't registered your server yet, the text in the example image that reads "Manage access to server" will instead read "Enable easy access from anywhere". Click it to register your server and receive the access key.

jitainss

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 01:05:03 am »

Hi Wig,

Thanks a lot. Connected and running.  :)

Cheers,
Jitain

poova

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 12:00:07 pm »

Awesome app!!!!

Thanks,

Scott

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 12:11:30 pm »

Thanks.  Don't forget to rate it -- on your phone, go to "Market" and search for Gizmo.

jitainss

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 03:14:27 am »

Hi Jim,

I am still having no joy in accessing my music through gizmo from an external wifi through wan. I can access through my lan. I think the problem may be that my internet provider gives a dynamic address. Also my Router (Belkin) is showing a different IP address 218.186.5..... as compared to what comes on "whatsmyip.org" 218.186.1......This may because of the modem(Motorola) showing a different address. Or is it some other problem?
After repeated attempts the Belkin Technical Support have given up, the internet provider has also said they do not know how to resolve the issue. Any suggestions please?

Thanks and regards,
Jitain

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 07:00:10 am »

Your router has an inside and an outside address.  From outside your network, you need to try the outside address.

More here:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Network_Access

chriswatson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 06:25:18 am »

Very cool!!

swinster

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 07:36:20 pm »

Ok - just got my misses an Android phone (trying to get one for me from work) and search the Android market place for Gizmo - the search returned 3 results - none from J River to do with Media Centre.

Ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 07:41:04 pm »

Ok - just got my misses an Android phone (trying to get one for me from work) and search the Android market place for Gizmo - the search returned 3 results - none from J River to do with Media Centre.
Are you searching the Market from the phone?  I just checked.  It's there.

swinster

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 03:26:45 am »

Yep - not too clued up on Android yet - do I have to go into a specific area and search, or will the search cover all areas?

For the record, this is an HTC Wildfire.

swinster

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 01:45:59 pm »

Tried browsing different app location, even All Aps, but the search still only shows 3 reasults and no Gizmo by J River

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 02:47:08 pm »

You're searching from the phone itself?  Don't search from a PC.

Maybe the store is different for older versions of Android.

swinster

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 06:02:27 pm »

You're searching from the phone itself?  Don't search from a PC.
Yes, i am searching using the phone, but as a mater of fact I did look at the Android web site on a PC to see it I could see the app - you CAN'T see any apps or search the market this way, it simply tels you to use your phone.

Maybe the store is different for older versions of Android.

The phone is running version 2.1?!? I know 2.2 is out, but it isn't officially available from HTC for this phone.

jitainss

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 11:54:36 pm »

Hi Jim,

Still no joy in being able to log in through Gizmo from an external wifi though able to log in from my internal wifi. The Belkin router has been configured to allow access through the same port as stated in Mediacenter and entered in Gizmo. The Belkin Technical people have escalated this from 1 to 2 to level 3 assistance but have still not been able to help. Since the internet provider uses a dynamic address I do have my WAN address sometimes differing on my router versus what appears on the "whatsmyip" address. However, at times they appear identical and even then I am not able to access (using the test connection to the server option). One explanation I have been given by my internet service provider is that the Singapore interney system has a firewall which may be blocking access to the port and that cannot be changed since it is common for all users. Do you think this could be the reason and if yes is there any way to get around this problem?

Thanks,
Jitain

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 07:47:35 am »

Since the internet provider uses a dynamic address I do have my WAN address sometimes differing on my router versus what appears on the "whatsmyip" address.
That's the problem.  Whatsmyip will show you your outside address.  You must use it from outside your network.  If it changes, you must change again.
However, at times they appear identical and even then I am not able to access (using the test connection to the server option).
That's also a problem.
One explanation I have been given by my internet service provider is that the Singapore interney system has a firewall which may be blocking access to the port and that cannot be changed since it is common for all users. Do you think this could be the reason and if yes is there any way to get around this problem?
Yes, that would explain it.  The port needs to be open.  MC's options let you change the port.  TCP Port is the setting under Library Server.

MC can also test for you.  It's the next option down from the port setting (under Media Network).  This is in the article I cited above.

Read on google or wikipedia about how to use telnet to test a port.  Or try a port scanner.

swinster

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 04:41:10 pm »

Yes, i am searching using the phone, but as a mater of fact I did look at the Android web site on a PC to see it I could see the app - you CAN'T see any apps or search the market this way, it simply tels you to use your phone.

The phone is running version 2.1?!? I know 2.2 is out, but it isn't officially available from HTC for this phone.

Well, I had a friend check his HTC Desire running Android 2.2 and Gizmo pops up there. Looks like this app isn't available fo Android 2.1. Shame

splashdwn1

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 02:27:54 pm »

I would just like to thank y'all for this app!  I have been an avid MC user for years and would never think of using anything else, but when I got my new HTC EVO I was so excited to find this app.  All my music from home at my fingertips is a dream come true!

I do have a couple of desperately needed features with the WebPlay interface, but from what I've found that is a seperate animal which Gizmo only interacts with to play on Android so I'll post my wishlist over there.

Thanks again!

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 02:02:15 am »

I've just finished a 90 minute drive, listening to shuffled Dylan tracks via Gizmo all the way and it never faltered. Brilliant.

My only moan is that in portrait view, I cannot see or access the "Play" option. To get at that, I need to turn the phone round into landscape mode. Otherwise, what a cracking idea, too cool for words!!

-marko

SteveR

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 11:39:29 am »

Found Gizmote straight away using froyo 2.2 I followed the instructions on J Wiki and its running immediately (I clicked on acces from anywhere, and it threw up an dialogue box with the server key in it. It's a fantastic app, and the theatre mode is very impressive. I am only 3 days onto the trial, and this is a keeper for sure!

SteveR

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2010, 01:03:14 pm »

I spoke too soon. Am running F Secure anti virus and firewall, and when I test the connection it advised no connection, and I need to tell the f/wall to open a port. Trouble is I can't find how to do that with F Secure! It's set to allow incoming and outgoing for Media Centre...

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dad to three beatuiful Boxers by rescue.
Gizmo can't find server. Crashes on "Help"
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2010, 08:13:47 pm »

Samsung Epic, Android 2.1,
Mediacenter 150.159
Win 7 64

When I enter the media access key in Gizomo it says it can't find the server (yes the WiFi is working fine). I tested the key on another PC running Mediacenter and it connects to the server and works fine. Also, when I click on "Help" on the Gizmo "enter media access" screen, Gizmo crashes: "Sorry - the application Gizmo (process JRiver.mediacenter.android) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Help!

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2010, 08:46:30 pm »

The latest Gizmo requires the latest MC.  Try downloading from the top of the MC15 board.

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dad to three beatuiful Boxers by rescue.
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2010, 09:08:20 pm »

The latest Gizmo requires the latest MC.  Try downloading from the top of the MC15 board.

That took care of it. Thanks!

mvorgod

• Recent member
Re: JRiver Gizmo for Android -- stream your media to your phone
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 04:44:37 am »

Hi

first of all - please forgive my ignorance  ;)

I just had a look at the new ASUS android gadgets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrqFMTJ8YAk&feature=player_embedded

and now i have a question for Gizmo

Can Gizmo only be used for streaming or is it possible to remote control Media Center (library server) and play 'from there' ?

Regards

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 07:00:13 am »

Can Gizmo only be used for streaming or is it possible to remote control Media Center (library server) and play 'from there' ?
Gizmo is bi-directional.  Please take a look at the article on our Wiki called "Gizmo".

mvorgod

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 09:55:08 am »

Gizmo is bi-directional.  Please take a look at the article on our Wiki called "Gizmo".

Hi again

It really looks exellent!

in the wiki it is stated that: "When you run Gizmo on your phone, you'll be asked for an access key. You can get it from Media Network options in MC (see picture below)"

But my MC version differs from the picture - from where do I copy the access key?

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 10:01:49 am »

Tools/Options/Media Network.

In 15.0.171 (from the download page), it's the third line down on the left.

mvorgod

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2011, 02:19:56 pm »

hi

yes of course - right in front of my eyes! did not see that im sorry

regards

acold7dusta

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2011, 06:03:06 am »

First off, I'd like to say that I love this software!  That being said, there are a couple of requests to make gizmo even better

1. Have a way to erase library server keys to connect to different media centers on the main menu

2. In "play to (server)" mode: Have the list button (now playing) next to the previous track button- similar to the "play on phone" layout

3. When you select song to play in "play to server" mode, bring back the option to play now or a add to now playing (or make it a changeable setting).

Greatly appreciate it if these go into development!

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2011, 06:42:52 am »

Press the top bar to switch servers.

acold7dusta

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2011, 10:01:55 pm »

Press the top bar to switch servers.

I'm aware of this feature...but I have 5 servers listed here and I want to delete 2 of them

to expand on question #2, see picture:

to expand on question #3, see picture:

Cast0077

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2011, 12:30:18 pm »

First I wanted to say the music part of this app is great. I have a 6 zone system setup in my house and I use this everyday now. I am having trouble streaming video to this. I go to video and I can see a list of all my movies but when I click on them I just get a loading.... message that just sits there forever.

roolark

• Recent member
Re: Song ratings on Gizmo
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 11:14:12 pm »

I bought a license for MC because it's awesome, and Gizmo is one of the biggest perks.

I have a 1 item wishlist though...

*I listen to my music on my android for hours at a time (sometimes), and I would like to be able to rate my songs as I listen to them. Is it possible to have a "5 star" rating option for the songs on Gizmo, that would be saved to the rating field in the library?

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Song ratings on Gizmo
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2011, 11:29:42 am »

I bought a license for MC because it's awesome, and Gizmo is one of the biggest perks.

I have a 1 item wishlist though...

*I listen to my music on my android for hours at a time (sometimes), and I would like to be able to rate my songs as I listen to them. Is it possible to have a "5 star" rating option for the songs on Gizmo, that would be saved to the rating field in the library?

+1 to this.
Seems almost like an omission to not have it in Gizmo.

iolivier

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2011, 06:32:41 pm »

+2
I love JRiver and I hope too that it will be possible to rate from Gizmo !

(Especially because my smartlists are based on ratings)

SeldomSeen

• Recent member
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2011, 02:59:17 pm »

I am very new to JRiver MC and Gizmo so forgive me if I have missed something obvious.  I was hoping to be able to use Gizmo for remote listening to my media while also being able to use WebRemote on an ipod touch to control media within my home automation system and play files directly from the server connected locally to my stereo.

Currently it appears to be working as I would like on my android phone with Gizmo, but when hitting play on my ipod it begin playing via quicktime out of the ipod rather than on my computer.  Can you do both at the same time? If so, where am I making my mistake?

*****EDIT***** I figured this out with the help of user Steve Goff in another forum.  I was using webplay rather than webremote as my url.  A simple change in my system fixed this and I am up and running.

I am glad I decided to go with JRiver, it is exceeding my expectations.

Thanks,

Seldom

jahmika

• Recent member
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2011, 12:50:47 pm »

+2
I love JRiver and I hope too that it will be possible to rate from Gizmo !

(Especially because my smartlists are based on ratings)

+1000

ggdobbs

• Recent member
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2011, 08:35:56 am »

I have been using JR15 to stream music from my PC (Windows XP) to my PS AUDIO DAC/Bridge (hard wired CAT5). It works well and I am very happy with it. However my PC is in the room next to my listening room and I would now like to control the operation wirelessly from a  laptop in the listening room.
Is Gizmo the best way to go? Can it be downloaded to and run on a Laptop? Is there a better way to do this? I am quite a novice at this and would appreciate some detailed instructions

Many thanks in anticipation

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2011, 10:40:56 am »

Gizmo, Tremote, or WebRemote:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Remotes

ggdobbs

• Recent member
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2011, 04:22:20 pm »

Thanks for the advice about webremote. Do I need a copy of JR15 as well as webremote on the laptop I use as the remote? If so could you advise me how to arrange this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2011, 06:08:45 pm »

WebRemote is used from a browser.  You can find instructions on the wiki.

edeptula

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2011, 09:40:25 pm »

Not sure who to ask:  When I am using Gizmo, I lose the "list" button; I no longer see the list of songs - I just see the album cover and the song that is playing.  It seems to usually be accompanied by a "searching for access key"  message.  Any ideas?

jrobbins

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: JRiver Gizmo -- stream your media from home -- or use Android as a remote
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2011, 03:31:57 pm »

Hello, group. I've just acquired a rooted Nook Color and when I try to download the Gizmo app from the Android market, I keep getting a "could not be downloaded due to an error" message, without further explanation. Any suggestions on how to resolve this?  Thanks. JCR

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2011, 03:47:43 pm »

gigglez

• Recent member
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2012, 02:56:58 pm »

Is there a way to rate stuff through Gizmo?

DerLothar

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2012, 03:21:34 am »

Is it possible to put your system into sleeping mode to save energy and wake it with gizmo to play an item?

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2012, 11:53:33 am »

A very good question...If my PC is off, Gizmo will not start it...If it is asleep gizmo will not connect (if there is a way to connect I have not found it)....I hope to use the app when I travel and hope to not have to disable sleep on the PC while gone.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up